Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
4WDlifeform

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS
Who uses a clutch slip control valve?

Thinking about trying one of those clutch slip control valves. I did some searching, but not too much pops up around here. Am curious who is running one, how it works for you, and if you like it or not? My biggest question is how you operate it so it only works during the launch. I saw a post that mentioned using the CTAP, is that an additional module, or does our computer have that built in?

I am on street tires and do not race competitively. I have some motor work making about 470whp, and 4.10 gears. I have had one good launch that I am proud of (1.952 60ft, 12.327 @ 115.24mph) out of maybe a dozen or so runs this year. I have never even come close to that again. Just looking for some consistency. Sucks loosing to 13 second cars when I should be in the low 12's every time. I know I know, the clutch slip valve will not make me a perfect driver.. Just looking for a little help to keep up with those autos..!!

Much appreciate any thoughts!
Old 10-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
These are great if you wanna get more consistent with launching the manuals and clearly will yield a more precise clutch release ever time. I actually looked into these and do have a high interest in installing one. The only issue I’m not clear on is finding a way to wire the unit in so it’s used only in first gear and shuts off after the gear change. I figured the simple way to wire it for drag launching would be with a main power switch to arm and disarm the solenoid but I would prefer to run a master switch, then use the ECU somehow or something to disarm once you change from first to second.... not sure yet how to get it to shut off after gear change so I haven’t bought one yet. The mechanical installation and functionality is really simple though.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Jayjellyfish212

I have a Lingenfelter Ctap that triggers my msd 2step.. hmmm I will
Need to look into what possible options it may provide for use of the clutch launch controller. The way my Ctap is set up for the 2step is so it powers the the msd box at the set clutch pedal travel on and off.. I have a master switch on the entire set up to just kill all the components when I’m not using them on the track. Im not sure how or see how the Ctap could fully disarm say a clutch controller though. Kinda where I’m stuck at too. Certainly would work great if we could figure out how to wire it for what we are looking for it to do .
Old 10-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Jayjellyfish212

There’s gotta be something in the ECU wiring that you could tap into as a first gear only signal trigger.....
Old 10-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
How makes the slip control valve? Sounds interesting!
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I have considered using one of these, the idea of having the consistency is pretty cool, although once I'm dialed in with the 2step I can achieve a pretty repeatable mid 1.7 60'. I rely on preloading the driveline a touch to help not break things.

Here is a unit that includes a bypass on a solenoid. You could run that with a manual switch, or set it up a relay to kick the bypass on based on a vehicle speed. Myself, I would run it off the e-brake switch with a delay, since I use that for the launch.

I'm not sure it's necessary, but I would definitely be interested in trying one.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
How makes the slip control valve? Sounds interesting!
Redirish, a clutch slip valve basically is an adjustable restriction in the flow of clutch fluid so that even if you "pop" the clutch, it actually still releases at a controlled rate. The bypass I was talking about above would make it so that it only has the slowed release on the launch, and not on all the upshifts. They are not uncommon on drag raced stick cars.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I have considered using one of these, the idea of having the consistency is pretty cool, although once I'm dialed in with the 2step I can achieve a pretty repeatable mid 1.7 60'. I rely on preloading the driveline a touch to help not break things.

Here is a unit that includes a bypass on a solenoid. You could run that with a manual switch, or set it up a relay to kick the bypass on based on a vehicle speed. Myself, I would run it off the e-brake switch with a delay, since I use that for the launch.

I'm not sure it's necessary, but I would definitely be interested in trying one.
I bet you could rip a 1.6 - 60’ with one installed on your set up almost every time once you get it dialed in. I got a great game plan on setting one up really easy to for the mechanicals. Your idea on using the ebrake knowing how you launch would definitely work perfect for you as a on off first gear launch as wired to this type of device. I got 2 fittings ordered that I’m waiting to get here to be sure they are what I’m hoping are size wise to make a quick connect , cut then flare to -3AN from our stock lines hard sections so a clutch launch controller can be easily put on. I’m almost thinking of a steering wheel switch or a shifter switch myself to make it work for me. I’m not sure I could get use to launching with the ebrake like you do but may have to start giving that routine some practice since it definitely has good benefits using that style launch method like you do. I like that these devices can help from hard shock on the drivetrain component etc. plus it will perfectly slip the clutch the same every time once dialed in. Looks like I’ll soon have 8 months of winter to figure out how to possibly get it wired to say the ECU.. lol
Old 10-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #9
Jayjellyfish212

Andy- that’s the exact unit and brand I have been considering myself from that link you provided.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Redirish, a clutch slip valve basically is an adjustable restriction in the flow of clutch fluid so that even if you "pop" the clutch, it actually still releases at a controlled rate. The bypass I was talking about above would make it so that it only has the slowed release on the launch, and not on all the upshifts. They are not uncommon on drag raced stick cars.
Thanks for the information I really think this is a good idea for us M6 guys
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #11
4WDlifeform

I am glad this thread is gaining some interest. I guess I need to know - What is a "CTAP"? Who makes one?

I have been practicing launches with a line lock (similar to acammer's technique with the ebrake). But, a 2-step controller with a slip valve is where I really want to head. I am not sure if I could run all 3 things at once? (line lock, 2-step, and slip valve with solenoid bypass). Not that I want to complicate the launch any more than it already is..!!

This will be my winter project as well. I'm looking forward to working along side you guys to see what we can come up with!
Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #12
4WDlifeform

@Jayjellyfish212 Is this the device you have?

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...0aAoiWEALw_wcB
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform View Post
@Jayjellyfish212 Is this the device you have?

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...0aAoiWEALw_wcB
That's the one. I think you could probably run everything at once. I like the ebrake vs. a line lock because it's one less thing I need electronics for, and it's variable, so I can easily creep into stage with it.

Getting the "release point" on the 2step right is another important piece of the puzzle, you want full power coming on before you're totally off the clutch, but not too early to where it releases while you're preloading. The N2MB is nice because you can sit in the car, running, find the point of preload you like, capture that clutch position with the N2MB, and then add just a little more to it, putting the release just after your preload.

I will say the MSD 2step is nice because you can adjust without the laptop, vs me pulling the laptop out after each pass to adjust with.