Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
tubular front crash support

I typed a long thread and my laptop decided to take a dump, so this one will be short.

Wanted someone to build me a tubular front crash support and found a forum member "unobtanium" who does some awesome stuff and voila!

Purposes are to allow as much airflow as possible to the radiator/ intercooler heat exchanger WITHOUT sacrificing on safety, infact this 2 inch tubular .120" wall 4130 Chromemoly crash support is superior in strength compared to the factory part. Not sure on the weight differences however?

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Yes sir, that sure does look slick. Definitely frees up some area. It being made out of chromoly steel, should definitely be lighter than the factory piece, I would think.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm interested in this if its lighter!
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Wouldn't the front fascia still block the area uncovered by the new crash bar? I don't see it making much, if any, difference. Please let us know if it does.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Wouldn't the front fascia still block the area uncovered by the new crash bar? I don't see it making much, if any, difference. Please let us know if it does.
I thought the same until I looked at the bumper. The factory box structure blocks a bunch of the space in there. The factory structure is pretty thin, but it's basically 6"x3", so compared to a 2" tube, there is a huge difference in how the air flows up in behind. On a factory car, it might be less important, but with intercooler(s) tucked up in there, this allows the air to get up behind the fascia. Didn't get a chance to weigh them, the big 2" one felt a little lighter, but the black one is lighter for sure. It's only 1.625" x .083" 4130. Figured some might be looking for a weight advantage. I'd wager 1.25" would still offer some good protection and give a pretty nice weight reduction.
First time I had the bumper off of my car. Nice and easy. Building one of these for my turbo build guaranteed. Makes so much room in there.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Awesome job, I really like the new version
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
cost?
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
how about cost on one of those for front and rear? unfinished is fine.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Sorry guys, not a sales thread, and I'm not a sponsor.
Just chimed in because I got sent a link.
Glad you like them though.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Unobtainium
Fabricator

To answer the earlier questions on weight...
The factory front crash bar weighs 14.8lbs. The 2"4130 bar weighs 9.8lbs, and the 1.625"4130 bar weighs 6.25lbs. The 1.25"4130 (smallest I would go while maintaining any measure of safety) weighs 4.9 lbs.
Cheers,
Chris
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Just my thoughts here, and I am sure the new part will provide better air flow but, the original GM part is made of a material closer to spring steel than it is to mild steel and the reason is to provide crash resistance. Your tube will kink in a collision and fold up. GM is using more and more of this special steel in the cars to provide more strength and less weight compared to the heavier material required to provide the same protection. I found some steel in the car that I could not cut with a reciprocating air saw. It just took the teeth right off the blade. Not minimizing your accomplishment, just want to start some thought amongst those who think this is the way to go in Lew of safety. Exclusive use on the drag strip is one thing, but to drive on the street is another. Again just my thoughts and congrats on being very inventive.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
Just my thoughts here, and I am sure the new part will provide better air flow but, the original GM part is made of a material closer to spring steel than it is to mild steel and the reason is to provide crash resistance. Your tube will kink in a collision and fold up. GM is using more and more of this special steel in the cars to provide more strength and less weight compared to the heavier material required to provide the same protection. I found some steel in the car that I could not cut with a reciprocating air saw. It just took the teeth right off the blade. Not minimizing your accomplishment, just want to start some thought amongst those who think this is the way to go in Lew of safety. Exclusive use on the drag strip is one thing, but to drive on the street is another. Again just my thoughts and congrats on being very inventive.
I'm quite familiar with Docol and the other alloy steels used on the new cars. 4130 is relatively similar, just with less ductility as a rule. The smaller bars will fold up in a major collision, yes. The factory bar is built the way it is to absorb energy in the event of a crash. Absorbing energy saves lives. This has been proven through many tests, especially against the old boats with structures that passed all the energy into the passenger compartment.
I agree 100% that doing this mod is off-road only, but it will save weight and still offer a degree of protection not available without the bar there at all. The airflow advantage could be quite large also, so as usual it is a calculated trade-off.
the 2"bar shown clearcoated would not bend in the event of a collision as it's cross section, density, and strength far exceed any factory pieces on a vehicle. A tree or concrete barrier is a different story. It will exceed the factory bending strength without question.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Rear bar weighs 27lbs factory, new tubular one weighs under 5lbs.
Total savings if front and back are swapped of 32lbs.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
VERY COOL
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote