Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
ASSASSIN

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Headers and Solo axle back, help please

Hello guys,

I have TSP LT headers with high flow cats and x-pipe on my car, did anyone with similar setup install the Solo performance Axle back with J-pipes? will it be very loud at cold start ups and WOT that it will bother me and the neighbors ? I had 3" straight pipes with no mufflers for 1 week and it was LOUD as f*&^. I liked it but that was too much to live with.

Also, will those J-pipes fit under the car with GFX bodykit ?

I want a nice muscle sound at idle and low rpm without having too much drone.

2010 2SS SIM LS3, GM Ground Effects, Cherrybomb Extreme Axle-Back
ASSASSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
Hello guys,

I have TSP LT headers with high flow cats and x-pipe on my car, did anyone with similar setup install the Solo performance Axle back with J-pipes? will it be very loud at cold start ups and WOT that it will bother me and the neighbors ? I had 3" straight pipes with no mufflers for 1 week and it was LOUD as f*&^. I liked it but that was too much to live with.

Also, will those J-pipes fit under the car with GFX bodykit ?

I want a nice muscle sound at idle and low rpm without having too much drone.
This is my setup:

SP 1 7/8" lt headers
SP HF cats
STOCK resonator (L99)
Solo axle back with J-pipes

The car is:
Very loud at a cold start
Deep low rumble at idle (once warm)
Smooth medium rumble from 1k-2krpm
Loudish from 2-3krpm
LOUD at 3K and above

Inside the cabin, with the radio on, I can barely hear it below 2k.

Now, I have 2.5" exhaust, and I still have the stock resonator (L99 is more restrictive than a LS3 resonator), so yours will be louder at each level than mine.

You essentially have nothing deadening sound in your setup. The HF cats flow like straight pipes, so the cat part cuts out raspiness. The J pipes cut out drone, but nothing you have muffles sound. Your car will be loud.

The J pipes will fit no problem from what Ive seen (they are smaller than stock mufflers.

Solo axleback has no muffler, just straight pipes with a J-pipe welded in. If you are worried about a cold start waking neighbors, you need a muffler(axle back with a muffler), or a center resonator.

If you are worried about cabin noise, get a muffler, or put sound deadening in the trunk.

I can tell you, I am picky, and do not want an overly loud car. That being said, I am 100% happy with my car, at 90mph or WOT it gets loud, but doesnt bother me at all.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
See my garage for mods but you will like the J-pipes. Tame at start & idle but I disabled cat warmup and modified the start up tables for less of a rev at startup. It rocks WOT. I have the Mach XL catback though behind Kook's LT's catless. Zero drone. Ditched a MBRP 3" X system for it. Could not stand the mind numbing drone either. Even tried the MBRP Chambered H (L99) resonator to help with no relief.

Go Solo.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Like vroom said, you are going to need some kind of a muffler. I have the same setup as broke except I have the HF cats. Solo's resonated x pipe basically gives you a combined muffler/resonator/x-pipe all in one package. I have been very satisfied...just the right tone and volume at the different throttle positions and no drone.