Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
NM34DUNN

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
Exhaust question - New Camaro owner

Sorry men I'm sure this has been asked 100 times. I just purchased 2011 SS/RS convertible automatic. Has the resonator or can delete (straight pipe) back to the stock exhaust. Sounds ok, but looking to purchase a used CAT back Borla S Type exhaust off 2012 SS auto convert (so everything should fit fine). Question/concern: Reading about this "Drone" noise. Is this very likely this will happen and do I then need to install "J" exhaust (or something like that) that I read about? Looks like I can install the Borla myself, but is the "J" exhaust an add-on and does this need to be cut and welded into the Borla exhaust (meaning I need to take to a shop)? Sorry....I'm sure I'm not using the right names on this stuff, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about. Thanks for any tips or experience you've had with this. Oh....I'm also adding a cold air intake as well. Will that make any difference with the exhaust (the Borla I want to add and the Drone noise I'm reading about)?
NM34DUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You know, for all the money you spend on changing the sound via cat back, then having to spend more to fix the drone........you could buy a set of headers, get a tune...and get better performance and sound from the stock exhaust. Plus, no drone!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
tarik1985

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM34DUNN View Post
Sorry men I'm sure this has been asked 100 times. I just purchased 2011 SS/RS convertible automatic. Has the resonator or can delete (straight pipe) back to the stock exhaust. Sounds ok, but looking to purchase a used CAT back Borla S Type exhaust off 2012 SS auto convert (so everything should fit fine). Question/concern: Reading about this "Drone" noise. Is this very likely this will happen and do I then need to install "J" exhaust (or something like that) that I read about? Looks like I can install the Borla myself, but is the "J" exhaust an add-on and does this need to be cut and welded into the Borla exhaust (meaning I need to take to a shop)? Sorry....I'm sure I'm not using the right names on this stuff, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about. Thanks for any tips or experience you've had with this. Oh....I'm also adding a cold air intake as well. Will that make any difference with the exhaust (the Borla I want to add and the Drone noise I'm reading about)?
I have the borla atak cat back and the drone is very little. Not sure about the same type.
tarik1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 AM   #4
2010abmss

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
You know, for all the money you spend on changing the sound via cat back, then having to spend more to fix the drone........you could buy a set of headers, get a tune...and get better performance and sound from the stock exhaust. Plus, no drone!
Agreed!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
tarik1985

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Careful though headers will make the car loud specially if you add an after market exhaust.
tarik1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
"Welcome to the party, pal."
-John McClane
Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Quote:

Just did headers w/ hi flows, intake, & tune. It did improve the sound, especially at WOT, but it is still pretty quiet. I would like a little more sound out of it at idle & cruising speeds.
justjoshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik1985 View Post
Careful though headers will make the car loud specially if you add an after market exhaust.
Thats my point. Most catbacks make the car louder. With headers and stock exhaust it gets a bit louder minus drone. I see so many start with a catback, then later add headers and find out its too loud.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Headers will actually give you an increase in power, that catback won't add anything.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM34DUNN View Post
The stock exhaust on an auto, due to the AFM, is designed to kill the drone. Specifically, the resonator combined with the J-chamber in the muffler is what keeps the drone away. When the stock system is removed, the AFM makes the drone much more noticeable. However, drone is much like exhaust sounds; each person hears it differently. Many people get a tune and have the AFM removed as part of that and that greatly reduces drone. Whether or not you tune out the AFM, you have a few options:

1. Buy an exhaust system with J-pipes included (Solo).
2. Buy J-pipes from Solo and have a local exhaust shop weld them on your system.
3. Have your exhaust shop fabricate a set of J-pipes and weld them in your system.

If you choose the second or third option, make sure you are comfortable with the skills of your exhaust shop.

Keep in mind that you do not "need" J-pipes. It really all depends on how much drone bothers you.

Your cold air intake will slightly effect the exhaust sound but will not contribute to drone.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
Just did headers w/ hi flows, intake, & tune. It did improve the sound, especially at WOT, but it is still pretty quiet. I would like a little more sound out of it at idle & cruising speeds.
I'm glad to read your description as this is exactly the result I desire. I have an appt 5/20 for ARH w/HFC into OE catback w/NPP + tune.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have the borla stype on mine, I wouldn't recommend it. It drones crazy loud at highway speeds. I had j pipes put on and that helps but this won't be the final exhaust that's on the car. Take a look at solo or one of the other "drone free" exhausts
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
NM34DUNN

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
If I get a tune to get rid of the AFM - doesn't that void my warranty?
NM34DUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
That's a long and somewhat complicated answer. The simplest answer is; it depends. It depends on whether the dealer can prove that the mod caused whatever problem you are trying to get fixed under warranty. If you have a good relationship with your dealer or, if the dealer is used to working on modded cars, it's usually not a problem. On the other hand, there are many dealers that just say "warranty voided" and won't work with you.

Look up Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act on this site or the web if you want to get into it in more detail.