Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Transdamm

Drives: BMW 650I
What else does GM have up there sleeve for the ZL1?

I really think they are holding a lot back till closer to release.. What are the chances the LSA will have some more forged internals Or a more aggressive cam? Would they have to change the name designation if they did? I don't think for a second the HP will be under 570
Transdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
They were pretty clear that the engine is the LSA. Making substantial changes to it would suggest a designation change, and I don't think GM would do that, especially after committing to a powerplant. We have to remember that this is not a concept car that we want GM to make. It is a production car that GM announced that they will make.

My best guess is that the ZL1 will be built with the LSA as we know it now. The engine and transmission probably won't see any major changes between now and then, although we can expect more to happen with other parts of the ZL1.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transdamm View Post
I really think they are holding a lot back till closer to release.. What are the chances the LSA will have some more forged internals Or a more aggressive cam? Would they have to change the name designation if they did? I don't think for a second the HP will be under 570

Be fun to see.

I would not expect advertised HP numbers to increase too much more from any manufacture since at some point insurance numbers will skyrocket due to the numbers and that would adversly effect sales.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i truly believe it will be a beast.really interested in knowing what the HP will be,but i know that won't be out for a while.probably will be derated.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Sorry but I seriously doubt it will be anywhere near your 570 number. I'm thinking 556 maybe.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
A cam and lifter change would be nice. Without that, not a chance at 570. It could also use some decent exhaust manifolds. The Camaro log style manifolds belong on a taxi not a performance car.

No power steering pump should be good for a couple hp. Which might have then been lost in the Camaro exh manifolds taking it back to near 550.

In the past, small cam changes have occured without an LS designation change. LS1's and LS6's had a couple different cams depending on the year. The first year the LS6 came out it had a pretty mild cam. The next year it went to 405 hp with a better cam and screamed. A little cam bump like that would be nice, along with some larger wheel lifters.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
At this point i think gm doesnt have anything up there sleves in regards to the ZL1. than again its nice to have the competition think of what "could" happen.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
I just don't understand the logic in releasing the 550hp number nearly a year in advance before being able to produce a vehicle. What's the advantage in that if you're not going to exceed that number? It just makes it easier for Ford to easily top it shortly after the ZL1's release.

I expect over 560hp or what's the point?
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I truly believe that the LSA as installed in the ZL1 will not disappoint in the hp rating and be a hell raiser of a package. GM has tested this car and its drivetrain on numerous tracks across the world and has vowed not to be just competitive but to be a winner in this segment. I believe that those exhaust manifolds will flow well enough but more importantly reduce under hood temps which is a power robbing additive for a supercharged engine. I WILL KEEP THE FAITH. Because the FBODFATHER tells me so. That is all that I need.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I still believe in my heart that this will be out before the end of the year and not in Feb. 2012 as advertised. They have not released any info to the public that we already did not know with the possible exception to the MR suspension which we all felt would be included from the CTS-V program. Hp was stated as being a quote "minimum of 550 hp" and nothing else.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
They were pretty clear that the engine is the LSA. Making substantial changes to it would suggest a designation change, and I don't think GM would do that, especially after committing to a powerplant. We have to remember that this is not a concept car that we want GM to make. It is a production car that GM announced that they will make.

My best guess is that the ZL1 will be built with the LSA as we know it now. The engine and transmission probably won't see any major changes between now and then, although we can expect more to happen with other parts of the ZL1.
This is true, if the changes are made for the ZL1 only. It would be the same case as the C5 Corvette Z06 with the LS6 and the standard LS1 Corvette. They had the same blocks in '04 but different cam and heads, hense the RPO change. Now remember how the LS1 evolved from year to year? GM would make a head change or a cam swap as the years went by. Suppose the LSA goes through the same evolution and for 2012 the CTS-V gets more power as well? If the engine is updated for the next model year, then no RPO change is required.
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I still believe in my heart that this will be out before the end of the year and not in Feb. 2012 as advertised. They have not released any info to the public that we already did not know with the possible exception to the MR suspension which we all felt would be included from the CTS-V program. Hp was stated as being a quote "minimum of 550 hp" and nothing else.
They have official announced that production will begin in Q1 of 2012. I wouldn't bet on it being any sooner than that. As for releasing the horsepower number a year in advance so what? Everyone knew it was going to be around that it has been talked about forever. If you think Ford wasn't already planning based on those rumors then you are crazy. The car will have more than 550hp the question is how much more. I expect it'll be more than 550 and less than 560. We'll see. Like fbodfather has always said. KEEP THE FAITH!

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
mondain

Drives: toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketCutlass View Post
This is true, if the changes are made for the ZL1 only. It would be the same case as the C5 Corvette Z06 with the LS6 and the standard LS1 Corvette. They had the same blocks in '04 but different cam and heads, hense the RPO change. Now remember how the LS1 evolved from year to year? GM would make a head change or a cam swap as the years went by. Suppose the LSA goes through the same evolution and for 2012 the CTS-V gets more power as well? If the engine is updated for the next model year, then no RPO change is required.
I agree, I think if anything the hp nubers will reflect the 2012 LSA motor just as the 2012 CTS-V...MAYBE a little higher if it breathes easier.

Sidenote, I noticed your nickname and was immediately reminded of my '73 Olds Delta 88 with the Rocket350 engine! A stock 4:11 rear that thing was a stump-puller
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
All we have to do is keep an eye on 2012 CTS-V news. Whatever they do there will carry to the ZL1.
-bobby