Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
ZL1 Top Speed

Since GM is really pushing the aero' tweaks for downforce, that leads me to believe ZL1 will reach high top speeds and operate comfortably at high speed. I'm thinking a top speed of 178. I'm a little concerned because of the 3.73s maybe cutting 5th gear a little short and that 6th is too tall to pull to top speed.

What do you think?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Autobots
Roll out!

Drives: 2010 ss/rs ls3
Are you talking gov top speed set or no governed top speed? If so I think the gt500 is set at 155mph or so. 160+ would be nice

But heck a Lamborghini Gallardo is 190+ I know its not the same class but be a cool bragging point lol
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
If an SS can do 174 un-governed, I bet a ZL1 is much closer to 200...

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
185 is my guess
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
ZL1 speedometer says 200mph
Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
186 is my guess ungoverned
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'm speaking ungoverned. I meant to add I don't think it will come governed either because of the aero' tweaks either. I forgot SS achieved so high, so I'd like to change my guess to 185, too. That downforce causes drag, so...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Now you have me thinking about where I could find out myself once I get one. There's that road race in Texas........do they have track day at Talledega? Other than that, where in the US? For most of us, it won't really be an issue will it? It would be fun to run one on the autobahn just for principle.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Guys, did you see the show where the Fastlane turbo Camaro was pitted against a highly modded GT500? Forgot the name of the show but it was the one with Paul Tracy and Tanner. I don't think it went over 190mph in the standing mile, and it was pushing 750+whp. It's gonna take a LOT OF HP to get the Camaro near 200mph and the ZL1 aint got that much.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #10
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
Maybe I'll have to buy one while I'm out in Germany and test it out :P

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
mvarley

Drives: 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Guys, did you see the show where the Fastlane turbo Camaro was pitted against a highly modded GT500? Forgot the name of the show but it was the one with Paul Tracy and Tanner. I don't think it went over 190mph in the standing mile, and it was pushing 750+whp. It's gonna take a LOT OF HP to get the Camaro near 200mph and the ZL1 aint got that much.
I think the show is called "Battle of the Supercars"

Mike
mvarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
chain777

Drives: Slow
Isn't the top speed of a CTS-V manual like 191MPH? I don't now how the Cd's compare, but that should be a good point of reference.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
Now you have me thinking about where I could find out myself once I get one. There's that road race in Texas........do they have track day at Talledega? Other than that, where in the US? For most of us, it won't really be an issue will it? It would be fun to run one on the autobahn just for principle.
You may be talking about the Texas Mile. I suppose one could use the Silver State Classic, but you run the risk of disqualifying yourself if you run too fast. There's Highway 50, through Nevada, if you don't mind dodging desert animals and speeding illegally, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Yup - I caught that one. However, another thing to consider is that was a mile test, wasn't it? These cars can't achieve top speed in a mile. I'm sure they're going to need at least 2-3 miles. Also - that car doesn't have all the aero' tweaks ZL1 has and I'm sure the OEM GFX kit it had didn't do the aerodynamics any favors; it sure looked PURDY though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase V View Post
Maybe I'll have to buy one while I'm out in Germany and test it out :P
Please let us know how that works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarley View Post
I think the show is called "Battle of the Supercars"

Mike
It's not a very objective show... Tracey will leave a little early, win by a nose, and they still consider it a win. It's cool to watch, but I consider it for entertainment only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
Isn't the top speed of a CTS-V manual like 191MPH? I don't now how the Cd's compare, but that should be a good point of reference.
I believe that's correct. I believe CAMARO has a better Cd, but the downforce is going to cause more drag, so... It will probably have the same gearing and the rear axle ratio is the same, too. Who knows? We'll find out soon enough

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm going to go with 190 mph if left unlimited. While it is possible to calculate top speeds, its impossible without knowing the Cd of the car, the gearing, and having an dyno chart. Even then, there are other little factors like rolling resistance and other things that are usually fudged by folks like me. The good news is that even with conservative estimates, everything says it should be aero-limited in 6th. With perfectly matched gearing, it might crack 200 but I do not see that happening.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote