Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #85
Chevybum2488
2010 2LT/RS SW/CGstripe

Drives: 98 Monte Carlo Z34
why won't the flexible tubing work? just wondering.
Chevybum2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #86
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevybum2488 View Post
why won't the flexible tubing work? just wondering.
What you want is a nice straight line for the wire...... Anything that can possibly be "wavy" ( like flex tube ) will give you uneven light
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #87
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
What you want is a nice straight line for the wire...... Anything that can possibly be "wavy" ( like flex tube ) will give you uneven light
I considered picking up the flexible stuff but I pulled some out of the coil to find tons of kinks in it that would be hell to try to straighten. I think flex tube would work fine though, since you're glueing it into place. Just make sure you glue it nice and even with the curve of the dash.

I picked up 4 feet of rigid tube. Found it a few feet away from the flex tube in the air pump isle at Petsmart.
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #88
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by third1 View Post
I started to sand on mine (IOM) It was very noticeable, I'm not sure I want to see that line during the day...
Yeah I'm thinking this is not going to work for us with the Inferno Orange Accent Trim Package. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #89
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
I considered picking up the flexible stuff but I pulled some out of the coil to find tons of kinks in it that would be hell to try to straighten. I think flex tube would work fine though, since you're glueing it into place. Just make sure you glue it nice and even with the curve of the dash.

I picked up 4 feet of rigid tube. Found it a few feet away from the flex tube in the air pump isle at Petsmart.
I guess I missed the part about the rigid tube.

I used the flexible tube not the rigid, that is why I had a hard time getting the El wire through it. It may also be why I had the white dusty looking stuff on my dash after a few days, It came from the super glue. It was on the tube and dash, but it came right off.

When I get enough time to really tackle the doors, I plan on going back to El wire in the dash and all the way around the door panels so they match. For now I had the GM LED's in the dash.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #90
Chevybum2488
2010 2LT/RS SW/CGstripe

Drives: 98 Monte Carlo Z34
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Thanks for the info, everyones input is nice to see.
Chevybum2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #91
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Yeah I'm thinking this is not going to work for us with the Inferno Orange Accent Trim Package. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I think this is the REAL source of the inability of GM to give the ABL to us. They messed up the design of the dashboard and didn't leave room for the lights to reside behind and above the trim panel.

They're going to have to redesign the whole dash to get the light to shine like it does on the doors. Otherwise you're going to have some weird unpainted line on the dash so the light comes through instead of reflecting off the paint.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #92
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

I don't see the weird, unpainted line... it looks just like the doors when it's done. I'm about halfway through my install. The dash panels are done the wire installed all that is left is to wire the transformer/ballast to the two wires.

Then I'll tackle the footwell but I'm wondering how wise it is to put always on lights down there. I may not like it but we'll see.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #93
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

My install is done. Looks awesome. The clear tube I had though, I cut 4" off for left of the dash, then found what was left was about 2" short for the passenger side so it's a good thing I grabbed an extra clear tube. I used hotglue to secure the clear tube but other than that and running the wire through existing holes, I did it the same as the DIY and it looks fantastic.
Go slow, take your time on the sanding. I just popped in a movie and sanded while I watched it. I'm sure this will get some comments. lol
2SS/RS Transformers Special Edition: Quick Time Performance Electric Cutouts, Custom Exterior Sound Effects (Transforming) by remote or button, Yellow autobot on windshield, Darkened tail and marker lights, Yellow fogs and signals (more yellow for signals), Dash Ambient Lighting, Black Painted Suitcase Mufflers, Autobot bowties and steering wheel, yellow leather stitching, yellow SS symbol on headrests, blacked out back trunk lid, blacked out brake light trim.
Pics of my 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #94
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
My install is done. Looks awesome. The clear tube I had though, I cut 4" off for left of the dash, then found what was left was about 2" short for the passenger side so it's a good thing I grabbed an extra clear tube. I used hotglue to secure the clear tube but other than that and running the wire through existing holes, I did it the same as the DIY and it looks fantastic.
Go slow, take your time on the sanding. I just popped in a movie and sanded while I watched it. I'm sure this will get some comments. lol
Did you happen to take some pics of the wire install without the drilled holes ?
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #95
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I don't see the weird, unpainted line... it looks just like the doors when it's done. I'm about halfway through my install. The dash panels are done the wire installed all that is left is to wire the transformer/ballast to the two wires.

Then I'll tackle the footwell but I'm wondering how wise it is to put always on lights down there. I may not like it but we'll see.
How far down did you sand the paint off?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #96
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Captain, look in the other ABL thread on teh last page. His install shows a PERFECT example of how far to sand.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #97
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

I sanded down 3-4mm or just under 1/8th inch from where the trim angles. I sanded the flat part that angles toward the cabin first, then I sanded the other part.

As for pics of the wire install without holes.. all I did was thread the EL wire through the dash from the backside using one of the square holes that aren't used for clipping the dash trim into place. There are several of them. Since the EL wire plug ends, once soldered, won't fit, I fed the wire through the dash from behind. Works fine. Looks perfect. Not too bright and not too dark.

I have extra wire so I can do the footwell area.
2SS/RS Transformers Special Edition: Quick Time Performance Electric Cutouts, Custom Exterior Sound Effects (Transforming) by remote or button, Yellow autobot on windshield, Darkened tail and marker lights, Yellow fogs and signals (more yellow for signals), Dash Ambient Lighting, Black Painted Suitcase Mufflers, Autobot bowties and steering wheel, yellow leather stitching, yellow SS symbol on headrests, blacked out back trunk lid, blacked out brake light trim.
Pics of my 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #98
evilways

Drives: 2006 INTIMADATOR SS
I am glad up fixed it all up. I was trying to use .187 clear plastic rod and G.M.s L.E.D.s light parts, but not working as good as yours did and look. Just food for thought I got the L.E.D. lights X ' S 3 From Chevy, use them as your power hook up and use the one's that are in the door for power, but that way, you will need two more transformers.? By the way how many feet of light tube to one transformer ??

Last edited by evilways; 11-08-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: After Thought!!
evilways is offline   Reply With Quote