Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
plan-b
No Compromise

Drives: '04 996 C4S, '11 2SS Convertible
Horn honk on first press of lock button?

My owner's manual is packed away in a box so I can't look up why my car is doing this. I haven't changed the remote lock settings and most of the time, the locking behavior is exactly what I remember reading in the manual. Namely, one press of the lock button on the key fob locks the doors silently. A second press will honk the horn for confirmation.

But recently, I've noticed that the horn honks on the first button randomly. I haven't been able to figure out anything in common from when it locks silently on one button press to when it locks audibly on one button press. I've checked the doors to make sure they're not cracked open. The trunk lid is always closed. And it happens regardless if the top is up or if I leave it down (I have a convertible).

Anyone know what the horn on the first button press is supposed to communicate?

Last edited by plan-b; 05-21-2013 at 01:35 AM.
plan-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well I know in my 13 I can program this option using the radio head unit...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Owners manual is available here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p..._DOCUMENTATION

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
ChriSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black and IOM
Mine does this to sometimes, I don't know why it does it. I just unlock and relock the doors after it does to make sure they are locked. It's pretty annoying.
ChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Same here 1 out every 10 times I lock the door it will give me the honk.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
Mine does this from time to time.
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I keep all mine turned off, I find them very annoying. If you hit the lock button once, the car will lock the alarm will activate in 30 seconds and horn once. If you hit the button twice, the car will lock the alarm will set instantly and the horn will honk twice. You can set the whole thing in the config part of the radio.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan-b View Post
My owner's manual is packed away in a box so I can't look up why my car is doing this. I haven't changed the remote lock settings and most of the time, the locking behavior is exactly what I remember reading in the manual. Namely, one press of the lock button on the key fob locks the doors silently. A second press will honk the horn for confirmation.

But recently, I've noticed that the horn honks on the first button randomly. I haven't been able to figure out anything in common from when it locks silently on one button press to when it locks audibly on one button press. I've checked the doors to make sure they're not cracked open. The trunk lid is always closed. And it happens regardless if the top is up or if I leave it down (I have a convertible).

Anyone know what the horn on the first button press is supposed to communicate?
Greetings,

Sincere apologies for this concern you're experiencing. Let me know if you'd like this issue inspected. Feel free to send a PM anytime!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I think what happens is that occasionally the vehicle "sees" two presses of the button....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
This happens to me to every now and then, glad to know its not just me. This happened both in my '11 v6 and now in my '10 SS
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Mine has been doing this for a long time. Sometimes the horn will sound on the first press and others I will need to press it the second time for the horn to sound. No rime or reason to it that I can tell.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I think it happens more as you use the fob more, the contacts get dirty and sometimes it will make and break contact twice with one push of the button. If you have two fobs and one is used a lot more than the other try switching fobs. My wife never uses hers and it doesn't do it when I borrow it but mine has been doing it a lot lately.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
DandDC09

Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 Malibu
Could it be from a low battery in the fob? I have 75,000 on my '10 2LT and have never had the problem. I'm constantly driving my car daily. I've replaced the battery in my fob once, but started using my second fob after about a year and a half... Just a suggestion....
Old 05-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
plan-b
No Compromise

Drives: '04 996 C4S, '11 2SS Convertible
So after looking through the owner's manual, I'm going to try switching key fobs as mentioned here. I like having the audible notification option but it annoys me when it randomly honks. Otherwise, I may just disable it entirely. I don't like taking my car in for these random things cause I always end up leaving the dealership irritated. On my '05 Corvette, the tire pressure monitors would randomly tell me I had a flat when I didn't but the dealership could never reproduce it. Nor could they tell me why the battery would randomly drain on me.
plan-b is offline   Reply With Quote