Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #617
ZL1formance

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Glad I bought a 2013......
ZL1formance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #618
BlckOut
mUrDeReD oUt!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT RS V6
People saying that those with pre-14 Camaros are upset with the refresh only because they won't have the coolest/newest anymore: NOT TRUE. At least for me, it has no effect on my opinion of the refresh. I know for my car and others of the earlier 5th gens, we will continue to get tons of compliments on our rides. There are just too many things wrong with the 2014 to like it more than what I have now. Just my two cents...
Old 08-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #619
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
That ILE in CRT looks great. I wish they would make a convertible 1LE.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #620
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm1971 View Post
there are small / new details and elements in the halo / light housing that i really liked... really nice job.
Too bad that while I thought Chevrolet was the first to do this every other automaker is already in full swing of putting the model name inside their headlights. The F-150s have this now on their new trucks and I noticed the new 2014 Dodge Durango has done it too.

Very innovative Chevy.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #621
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Too bad that while I thought Chevrolet was the first to do this every other automaker is already in full swing of putting the model name inside their headlights. The F-150s have this now on their new trucks and I noticed the new 2014 Dodge Durango has done it too.

Very innovative Chevy.
To be fair, GM's been putting the brand emblem in the headlights or taillights for ages now.

The 2008 Malibu was like a scavenger hunt to find all the Chevrolet badges.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #622
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyboyjr View Post
The harsh comments by 2010-2013 Camaro owners about the design of the 2014 seems to have an undertone of disgust with the fact 2010-2013 Camaro automatically loses some appeal in lieu of the updated model. I guess it's pretty tough to deal with the fact you no longer have the "latest, greatest". The 2014 is a subtle refresh. There isn't a dramatic difference compared to the 2010-2013. Let's be as constructive as possible and help Chevy continue to lead sales over the Mustang and Challenger! That's my concern right now, not the front fascia or rear/taillights.
Perhaps. I bought mine in November and wish I waited. At that time there was no news of the refresh. Part of it is my disdain for my car since it's been in the shop more than on the road it seems for minor problems. I just hit 5500 miles. I like the 14 front end and extractor. But the biggest thing I wish for was the color hud. The old dot matrix display just looks archaic. Id probably not feel as bad if my car wasn't the rattle trap that it is. Not many others complain of this so I guess I just have a Friday car.

I also made the mistake of going with an auto, so all of these issues put together increases my desire for something else. It wasn't an impulse buy by any means, I simply made a bad decision. I've had many new cars, probably 12 or more, and not one has had this many annoyances or came with as much regret. I'm seriously considering a dodge dart because it's cheap and I won't care if I have these issues or not.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #623
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
When the 2014 was introduced they said it was performance enhanced. I think the only performance improvement was the aerodynamics. I love the way they look and I can't wait to get mine. I'm also looking foward to real pics of the new Heritage grill on a 1LE.

Indeed. The '10-'13 were designed from the bottom up, meaning that GM wanted even the lowest trim (LS) to be highly desirable. And, they brought in highly skilled artists to do so. That was the basis for the 5th gen release and they just added to that by dropping in the 'Vette engine to give us the SS in 2009.

I believe the '14 refresh was designed from the top down, meaning they started with the Z28 and passed those traits (mostly aerodynamic) onto the lower trims. And my opinion is that it doesn't work as well (on the lower trims) as the pre-refresh.

All of that said, as to what any one person likes... that is totally subjective. Everything eventually evolves or goes away. The Camaro has done both of those... I just hope it never goes away again.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #624
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Here's the problem for me which this comparison illustrates:
Attachment 536902

The Camaro is an extremely well-known brand with a very solid identity. If people look at the back of the new 2014 and the first thing that pops into their mind is "it looks like a Honda Prelude" then whoever was responsible for the design completely failed to uphold and maintain the brand identity of a Camaro. The back of the 2010-13 Camaro is distinct, solid, strong and unique; when you see it you don't think "that looks like...." something else. It looks like exactly what it is; a Camaro. The refresh back-end doesn't look powerful, muscular, dynamic or even sporty. It's a very pedestrian, uninspired generic style that's been around awhile and used by many other brands.

Attachment 536904Attachment 536903Attachment 536906
Attachment 536905 and finally:Attachment 536907

The new front is okay but looks pinched, flat and horizontal compared to the previous style's open, flowing sculpted look. When I read post after post saying "maybe if I see it in person it will grow on me" then I know the style change has missed the mark. When I first saw a picture of the 2006 concept car I didn't have to say to myself "maybe if I see it in person I'll like it"... my reaction to the pictures was "WOW, that looks bad-ass! I WOULD LOVE to have a car that looks like that!". Not only does the "refresh" not raise that bar, it doesn't even reach it. It just looks flattened and horizontal to me; not muscular like it's predecessor and the concept car.

Attachment 536911Attachment 536912Attachment 536918Attachment 536919

In 2009 as soon as my local dealer could order I ordered mine SIGHT-UNSEEN having not seen one "in person" nor even the color I ordered. In about 3 weeks I will have had my 2010 Camaro for 4 years and never once, not even for a minute have I regretted buying it, gotten tired of looking at it or driving it.

My post is not a personal attack against you Scott, don't misunderstand me. It's just that the Camaro is such an American icon, and the 2010 style was such an inspired effort that I don't want to see that be the "peak" and everything from that point on becomes gradually watered-down, tame, corporate-committee-designed shadows of formerly great styling.
This is worth repeating, 4 yrs for me also and mine doesn't look like other brands out there. distinctively Camaro.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #625
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
To be fair, GM's been putting the brand emblem in the headlights or taillights for ages now.

The 2008 Malibu was like a scavenger hunt to find all the Chevrolet badges.
Yep. If you get a 2014 1LE with the RS package it says Camaro on the exterior of the car 8 times.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #626
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
This is worth repeating, 4 yrs for me also and mine doesn't look like other brands out there. distinctively Camaro.
I'd have to say that after seeing the '14 refresh, I can see how some people would say the front looked "cartoonish" with the wider top grill area of the '10- '13 and larger headlights as compared to the refresh, which IMO looks as what it was designed to look, more aggressive with the narrower top grill area and slightly chopped headlights. Also, the appearance of a larger bottom grill area adds to the aggressive appearance without looking overdone IMO. I like how they matched the appearance of the fog light area to the lower grill, it gives it a better design flow. This is all in reference to the SS by the way.

As for the rear, I can see and understand the purpose of the design to lessen the appearance of looking "fatter" by elongating the taillights (which are influenced by the Camaro's of days past - 1974 to 2002) yet I don't understand how that would tie into the retro look of the first gen (which didn't have the wraparound taillights like the 3rd and 4th gens) that the 5th gen was inspired by. As much as I like the rear of the '10 -'13's, I still see "Camaro" when I look at a '14 from the back, so it's not as bad, IMHO, as some of you make it out to be, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. I do agree with most people that the rear diffuser could have been better designed, maybe have it go around the license plate area instead of going through it. I agree that painting it to match the body color of the car would lessen it's pronounced appearance, but then it would give it a "taller" appearance, thus negating the design objective of making the rear look less "fatter".

Still, when you step back and see the '14's as whole, it's still distinctively a Camaro.

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 08-03-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #627
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyboyjr View Post
The harsh comments by 2010-2013 Camaro owners about the design of the 2014 seems to have an undertone of disgust with the fact 2010-2013 Camaro automatically loses some appeal in lieu of the updated model. I guess it's pretty tough to deal with the fact you no longer have the "latest, greatest". The 2014 is a subtle refresh. There isn't a dramatic difference compared to the 2010-2013. Let's be as constructive as possible and help Chevy continue to lead sales over the Mustang and Challenger! That's my concern right now, not the front fascia or rear/taillights.
That is a bunch of BS.

IF we wanted the latest and greatest we would get a Stingray. I was wanting to buy my ZL1 at the end of this year. But when the 2014 Camaro debuted at the New York Auto Show that immediately kicked my butt into gear and get to ordering a 2013 ZL1 while I could.

Maybe it will grow on me over time. But right now I am very satisfied with my 2013 and if I totaled it tomorrow and could not find a replacement '13 I would choose a Stingray instead of the "subtle" redesign of the 2014 Camaro's.

I am in the camp that Chevy dropped the ball on this refresh. My 2 cents.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #628
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
One of the local dealers has a few 2014's in stock (2LS, 2LT and 2SS w/ RS). My biggest concern from viewing pictures was the rear end styling. However, it does look good in person. The front looks fine other than the chrome trim on the RS. The chrome just jumps out at you (to me). The white car is a 2LT with RS, the black is a 2LS. of course, you can also see some 2013's in the photo as well.

BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #629
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMike View Post
One of the local dealers has a few 2014's in stock (2LS, 2LT and 2SS w/ RS). My biggest concern from viewing pictures was the rear end styling. However, it does look good in person. The front looks fine other than the chrome trim on the RS. The chrome just jumps out at you (to me).

[IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o....jpg[/IMG]

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #630
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Now I just have to decide between getting a 2014 1LE or replacing the wife's G6 with the 2014 A5 Cabriolet...
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote