Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Front inside rim - Scraping

I had posted another thread about putting 20x9 wheels with 275/40/20 on all 4 corners and putting 20x8s on all four corners as well as my sons GF wanted to use the fronts. Anyway, no one replied to the thread so today I did put the rears on the front and the fronts on the rear. All seemed to work OK, both ways.

Here is something I discovered and need to know what you think is happening. The front right wheel has been scraped on the inside by something that has actually rubbed the inside of the wheel to the point that it has worn down the wheel weight.

There is nothing on the suspension that I can see where any rubbing has occurred. My only thought is that something got caught up in the suspension at some point and rubbed the tire. It has rubbed inside the wheel and little spots on the inside sidewalk of the tire. ????
Attached Images

Last edited by SharpOldNo7; 04-16-2017 at 11:27 PM.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Was it like this before you put them on the front? The factory 20x9 should easily fit with no issues. Way too many of us running the square set up.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
SharpOldNo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Was it like this before you put them on the front?
This is the one that was on the front from the factory. 20X8" 245/45/20 front right wheel. Something has scraped the inside of the wheel and inside sidewall of the tire. I don't have a squared setup yet. I still have the staggard setup just like it came form the factory.

Last edited by SharpOldNo7; 04-16-2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
I had posted another thread about putting 20x9 wheels with 275/40/20 on all 4 corners and putting 20x8s on all four corners as well as my sons GF wanted to use the fronts. Anyway, no one replied to the thread so today I did put the rears on the front and the fronts on the rear. All seemed to work OK, both ways.

Here is something I discovered and need to know what you think is happening. The front right wheel has been scraped on the inside by something that has actually rubbed the inside of the wheel to the point that it has worn down the wheel weight.

There is nothing on the suspension that I can see where any rubbing has occurred. My only thought is that something got caught up in the suspension at some point and rubbed the tire. It's is rubbed inside the wheel and little spots on the inside sidewalk of the tire. ????
The last picture is the balancing weight tape ( double sided tape)that got left behind after the weight was removed .

There should be a corresponding spot on your suspension with a little rubber on it . Also with the other tire still mounted turn the wheel and look at what is close that corresponds to the tire that has the rub marks. If you don't have a square set up ,don't run the rears on the front .
Old 04-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
SharpOldNo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
The last picture is the balancing weight tape ( double sided tape)that got left behind after the weight was removed .

There should be a corresponding spot on your suspension with a little rubber on it . Also with the other tire still mounted turn the wheel and look at what is close that corresponds to the tire that has the rub marks. If you don't have a square set up ,don't run the rears on the front .
Look at the 2nd picture in the first post all the way to the right side where the wheel weight is shown. You can see that it is tapered as whatever scraped it scraped it harder on one end than it did on the other end. The little fibers you see are what was scraped off the wheel weight.

The wheel weight has never been removed that I am aware of. Part of the weight is still on that spot. I don't think that is double sided tape residue as I believe it to be part of the weight itself. Here is a picture of another weight on the same wheel. What has been ground down looks just like the weight in this picture just ground to a "taper". The sticky side of the weight is very thin and what is ground down is still thick on one edge.

There is nothing on the suspension that has been rubbed as evident from the pictures I took of the suspension while the tire was off. If anything is rubbing, it would have to be the lower ball joint. That still does not explain the marks on the tire sidewall.

I don't plan on running 20x9s on the front unless I have 20x9s on the rear thus a square setup. That was the whole point in checking the 20x9 for fitment. the 20x9 is close to the strut as I can barley get my fingers between the strut and the tire tread.

I think the 20X9 rims are probably a +40MM which brings them closer to the suspension components and the tire and wheel are wider. I also think a 1/2" or 3/4" wheel spacer should be used on the front if running the 20X9s for a square setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by SharpOldNo7; 04-16-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
Avenging Orange

Thats quite a quandary. I'd prolly swap rhe other 20x9 to that same side and see if it repeats.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
like many others have posted somethings not right (obviously). I ran the rears on the front for over 2 years no issues (lowered 1.5" in the front with about -1.5 degree camber).
Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
SharpOldNo7

Quote:
Thats quite a quandary. I'd prolly swap rhe other 20x9 to that same side and see if it repeats.
Avenging Orange,

Please Forget I ever mentioned running the 20x9s on the front. That has nothing to do with this situation. I discovered this situation when I was trying to see if the rear wheels would mount to the front. I don't run the 20x9" wheels on the front of my car. I'll spell it out for you. I have 20x8" wheels on the front and 20x9" wheels on the rear. The one that has been scraped on the inside is a 20x8" wheel and it is on the front right. That is where is has been since it came off the factory line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stache View Post
like many others have posted somethings not right (obviously). I ran the rears on the front for over 2 years no issues (lowered 1.5" in the front with about -1.5 degree camber).
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Ok, then let me spell this out for you. Try putting the other TWENTY BY EIGHT on the side that allegedly is scraping and see what happens.
And please re-read your original post....'so today I did put the rears on the front and fronts on the rear."
Old 04-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
SharpOldNo7

Quote:
Ok, then let me spell this out for you. Try putting the other TWENTY BY EIGHT on the side that allegedly is scraping and see what happens.
And please re-read your original post....'so today I did put the rears on the front and fronts on the rear."
Correct. That's when I discovered that something had been scraping the inside of the 20X8 wheel that was on the front. I tried to explain to you in the third post that you did not understand what I was saying in the first post.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #11
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
..."see what happens" is not a plan. Inspect the suspension top and bottom for contact. If there is none, it likely was a foreign object jammed in there. Since you have already inspected, my guess is it was something somewhat soft, like a tire gator or plastic bumper piece. Otherwise, the rim would have deep gouges rather than wear.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
..."see what happens" is not a plan. Inspect the suspension top and bottom for contact. If there is none, it likely was a foreign object jammed in there. Since you have already inspected, my guess is it was something somewhat soft, like a tire gator or plastic bumper piece. Otherwise, the rim would have deep gouges rather than wear.
So, you are saying you would not try to eliminate the obvious first? No wonder there are so many "I can't figure this out" posts.
Since the OP doesn't seem to think I get it.....regardless of wheel and tires size.....and the fact he has been rotating tires around anyhow. ....and says he has inspected the suspenion to no avail.......why not try something so simple as putting a non damaged wheel on the hub that the damage allegedly occured on and see if it repeats? If not, you eliminate a large part of the "theories" and are left with a petty high percentage conclusion it was a foreign object....and we can put the guessing/head scratching to rest.

Last edited by Avenging Orange; 04-20-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
So, you are saying you would not try to eliminate the obvious first? No wonder there are so many "I can figure this out" posts.
Since the OP doesn't seem to think I get it.....regardless of wheel and tires size.....and the fact he has been rotating tires around anyhow. ....and says he has inspected the suspenion to no avail.......why not try something so simple as putting a non damaged wheel on the hub that the damage allegedly occured on and see if it repeats? If not, you eliminate a large part of the "theories" and are left with a petty high percentage conclusion it was a foreign object....and we can put the guessing/head scratching to rest.
Sounds reasonable to me .