Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #71
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
forgive me if its been asked already...but if the prototype has 370lbs of torque... what engine is it using and do we think this will be the production engine. I know I would'nt do real world tests on a car using an engine that wont be used in production???
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #72
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
forgive me if its been asked already...but if the prototype has 370lbs of torque... what engine is it using and do we think this will be the production engine. I know I would'nt do real world tests on a car using an engine that wont be used in production???
Someone mentioned that this car pictured might be a V6, I would think that any gauge used would be rated over the max output of the engine used.

Another even stated that this gauge may not make it to the final production
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #73
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
First off, I don't know if they would have the max torque displayed on the gauge. The tach shows higher RPMs than the engine is capable of making, so why not do the same with the torque gauge? But why 370? Seems 350 or 400 would be more logical, since those numbers are more common. Maybe this IS the lowest level V8, which would imply 350-400 HP. Still more than the Mustang GT and comparable Dodge performance models.

Second, I am not entirely convinced that the tach and speedo in this car are final. Notice the faux chrome bezels around both gauges? Well, there's no chrome anywhere else on the instrument cluster, only satin silver. The chrome looks a little...odd. Also, those two gauges are small. They look smaller than they should be. I'm betting they are "filler" gauges, probably from AutoZone or whatever, and they are only being used because the real production gauges aren't done yet. If that's the case, then it's possible we will get multi-colored backlighting like the Mustangs, since nothing else would make the gauges take longer to develop than the other parts of the interior. Still, this is only speculation (and a little bit of wishful thinking).

I am REALLY liking everything else in this car. The steering wheel is a little too retro for my tastes, but I'm not complaining. It compliments the whole package. The cup holders are deep, the shifter is short (throw hopefully!), and the parking brake looks badass (never been a fan of wrinkly leather).

I think we're all going to be very happy with the final version. I just wanna know what (if anything) is going between the speedo and tach! I hope it's something like the Vette's HUD.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #74
jaymz
Just a waitin'

Drives: grand prix GT
I just saw the prototype last night at the auto show. The pictures don't even come close to the real thing! I am even more hyped now than ever.

I am not so sure about the picture with the gauges and steering wheel, I think its an alien face.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #75
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think he might mean concept . . . those prototypes arent autoshow material
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #76
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Sorry folks, I have to disagree with most of you...I am not liking this interior. It's like a truck interior mixed with different interiors from Camaro's from the past. The gauges seem too high, too far spaced, too deep and aimed upward for the seating position. The steering wheel is OK, but nothing more than that. The center cluster makes me think it's the transformer's face looking back at me...odd and too large. The rest seems flat, cheap, and plain.

I actually don't mind the center cluster of tech's that much but I wonder where the heck is the cup holders.

Again, sorry guys/gals...I don't want to rain on the party but I'm just not too pleased with the interior. Again, I remind you all that too retro is NOT a good thing (poor Mustang) and I think while the outside is future retro, the interior is truck-retro future and I aint too pleased with it.

The outside of the car is sooooo good looking I might, MIGHT...turn a blind eye but I have to say that we don't drive from the outside and the living space inside is not something GM should take for granted.

Again, sorry...but as of right now (keeping in mind that the car is still a year away from production and this is a test mule) I'm back on the worry train, lol.

My brother and Autoblog tend to agree, so it's not just me. Sorry if there are others but I didn't read all the thread.

Come on GM, don't drop the ball in the interior.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #77
jaymz
Just a waitin'

Drives: grand prix GT
No, I saw the red concept car at the auto show. I am saying that the pictures simply do not do it justice. It was unbelievable. The only thing that sucked is that I forgot y freaking camera at home.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #78
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Also, there goes the aftermarket radio upgrade (it seems)...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #79
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
First off, I don't know if they would have the max torque displayed on the gauge. The tach shows higher RPMs than the engine is capable of making, so why not do the same with the torque gauge? But why 370? Seems 350 or 400 would be more logical, since those numbers are more common. Maybe this IS the lowest level V8, which would imply 350-400 HP. Still more than the Mustang GT and comparable Dodge performance models.

It was reported that there was going to be 2 V6 and 1 V8 for the 2010 Model year.
Current Models yes, But the 2009 Mustang GT is said to have 340hp 365tq and the V6 is getting a boost as well with 250hp

Second, I am not entirely convinced that the tach and speedo in this car are final. Notice the faux chrome bezels around both gauges? Well, there's no chrome anywhere else on the instrument cluster, only satin silver. The chrome looks a little...odd. Also, those two gauges are small. They look smaller than they should be. I'm betting they are "filler" gauges, probably from AutoZone or whatever, and they are only being used because the real production gauges aren't done yet. If that's the case, then it's possible we will get multi-colored backlighting like the Mustangs, since nothing else would make the gauges take longer to develop than the other parts of the interior. Still, this is only speculation (and a little bit of wishful thinking).

The "My Color" display is being deleted from the 2009 Mustang to costly

You know the pic with the tape stating 10L and fuel? I beleive there will be a silver insert that goes there. The interior is no where near complete in these pictures, you can see missing peices, tab holes and parts that don't look right. The Speedo pods do look correct and complete.

I am REALLY liking everything else in this car. The steering wheel is a little too retro for my tastes, but I'm not complaining. It compliments the whole package. The cup holders are deep, the shifter is short (throw hopefully!), and the parking brake looks badass (never been a fan of wrinkly leather).

I think we're all going to be very happy with the final version. I just wanna know what (if anything) is going between the speedo and tach! I hope it's something like the Vette's HUD.

I think it's going to be a digital information center, and Monitor system, Tire Pressure, Lights working, Gas Mileage, Odometer, Trip meter, outside Temp and a 0-60 timer like in the dodge charger SRT, cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanaso View Post
Sorry folks, I have to disagree with most of you...I am not liking this interior. It's like a truck interior mixed with different interiors from Camaro's from the past. The gauges seem too high, too far spaced, too deep and aimed upward for the seating position. The steering wheel is OK, but nothing more than that. The center cluster makes me think it's the transformer's face looking back at me...odd and too large. The rest seems flat, cheap, and plain.

I actually don't mind the center cluster of tech's that much but I wonder where the heck is the cup holders.

Again, sorry guys/gals...I don't want to rain on the party but I'm just not too pleased with the interior. Again, I remind you all that too retro is NOT a good thing (poor Mustang) and I think while the outside is future retro, the interior is truck-retro future and I aint too pleased with it.

The outside of the car is sooooo good looking I might, MIGHT...turn a blind eye but I have to say that we don't drive from the outside and the living space inside is not something GM should take for granted.

Again, sorry...but as of right now (keeping in mind that the car is still a year away from production and this is a test mule) I'm back on the worry train, lol.

My brother and Autoblog tend to agree, so it's not just me. Sorry if there are others but I didn't read all the thread.

Ok here is the Funny thing... A Mustang GT Owner Saying Calm Down and Wait, it will be nicer, this interior is missing alot of peices, In some sence it's just the Bones, Pre-Production and test cars are to work out the kinks, sqweeks and rattles,
just give it some time. and what do you mean Poor Mustang, it's the fastest selling American car in America, Retro is selling, Just because you don't like the interior does not change my opinion of it, so you hate it, Good, thats means one less person I have to have in front of me when I buy one. Your not raining on my party
Attached Images

2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold

Last edited by 2K05GT; 01-27-2008 at 10:46 PM.
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #80
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

I tend to see the flatness and plainness as just being the fact that this is merely a prototype. I would be shocked if that is the exact look of the production car
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #81
Warghost

Quote:
where the heck is the cup holders.

They're right behind the shifter. Plain as day.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #82
Warghost

I didn't think about that, but yes....looks as if the in-dash navi system won't fit in this dash. Still, the flip-up double DIN models are probably better. If you plan to keep the car for a while, they can be easily replaced with newer versions. Anyone know exactly how much of the dash would have to be removed to replace the factory stereo? It looks like it's integrated in the same area as the climate control. I know this isn't the final version, but judging by these pics, does it look like an aftermarket stereo would even fit? Would the small screen even work with an aftermarket head unit installed?

Sad to hear about "My Colors" being killed off in '09 Stangs. I know that little option was a selling point for both of my friends who bought them. And I would really like to have it in the new Camaro, since I have Cobalt gauges in my Mustang now, and going with all blue lighting would look great!

Regarding the gauge pods (speedo & tach), I still think they look too small, but if that's final production version, oh well. I am not a fan of 20MPH increments on the speedo, nor chrome bezels....but I'll deal with it if necessary.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #83
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
GM, don't change a thing.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #84
t.dawgs

Drives: gsxr 600
Send a message via Yahoo to t.dawgs
I noticed something on the gauges, the speedo only goes to about 120 mph and the tach goes to 5 grand or so. I assume it should read about 140 160 mph and 6 to 6 1/2 redline. I think there might be a little black tape on it. Just my observation and I think this interior is much better than the challenger one. Just clean it up with some trim and complete the car already.
t.dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote