Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 12-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Check your oil no sooner than 20 minutes after you have shut off the engine. Then if it is still in the area as shown in your picture you will need about a QT of oil to fill it back up. I would then watch it like a hawk as you should not be burning oil. Even new these cars should not be burning much oil if any.

Good news is that as long as you see oil in the hash marks you are in the safe zone so don't worry about having done any damage.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Yash....look at page 208 in the owners manual...... Mine was the same way in the beginning, but no issues with level now that I'm past that break in mark.

• Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal during the first
    2,414 km (1,500 mi).
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #17
m666etal

Drives: Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
The OLM is about how long the oil is still good for before you need to change it based on fancy math. Oil level is not a part of it. The OLM may say 90% but be 2 quarts low on oil. I believe there is a separate sensor that will set off a low oil level alert, but not sure at how low it will go off.

Ultimately it is still your responsibility to check the oil level yourself. The Oil life monitor is not an oil level monitor.
Good information! Thanks.
m666etal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #18
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanchez18 View Post
follow up question. What kind of oil should one get?

Honestly, I put whatever full synthetic oil is on sale at the time and upgrade to a K&N or Mobil 1 oil filter, which is usually always an option for a few bucks more.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #19
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
this waiting after filling the oil is news to me. I've been changing my own oil for decades and all I did was get the engine up to operating temp, drain, replace filter /oil. Start it up for a minute and check. Top off if necessary.
I was doing this under the impression that the hash marks indicate proper oil level for operation. So if you're checking after all the oil has drained down then when it you start it back up it will be low.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, hell I don't know everything. I just have never heard this before today.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
this waiting after filling the oil is news to me. I've been changing my own oil for decades and all I did was get the engine up to operating temp, drain, replace filter /oil. Start it up for a minute and check. Top off if necessary.
I was doing this under the impression that the hash marks indicate proper oil level for operation. So if you're checking after all the oil has drained down then when it you start it back up it will be low.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, hell I don't know everything. I just have never heard this before today.
Agreed, just check it cold in the morning monthly is all that is needed....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #21
Nino8309

Drives: 2018 Summit white 2SS 1LE
Anywhere inside the cross-hatch area is fine. Bottom to the top of the cross-hatch area = 1qt.
Nino8309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #22
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Here is an update for all....

I added half a quart while at a gas station on the way to D.C. I made an overnight stop and next morning checked and saw the oil about quarter of the way up the crosshatch area. That's about 1100 miles on the car. I added another half a quart and now I am sitting at 3/4 of the way up. I am at a little over 1400 miles now.

Thanks everyone for the advice

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote