Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-10-2017, 03:58 AM   #1
Johnny108

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2ss Hyper Metallic
I Need Advice/Help!!

Ok guys, so I've been going through the lemon law process for a free months already so far gm does not want to buy the car back but is offering some decent money for all the trouble the car is giving me. I've had the car for about a year now (2lt Rs V6) and with 12k miles. I was really hoping for a buy back so I can upgrade to an SS but I don't know if that is going to be possible now. So my question to you guys is, should I just keep whatever money they give me and use it for mods, or should I trade the car in and use the money for a down payment on an SS. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure I would have negative equity on the car since I've only had it for a year but I was wondering if anybody has had a problem like this and what you did. Or just general advice!! Thanks in advance!
Johnny108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Have you talked to an attorney?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #3
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Why would you want to keep a lemon that's giving you problems and then mod it? If it's so bad that you have to lemon law it, just get rid of it.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Been here done this. OP were your problems resolved?

If yes, my advice would be to keep the car and enjoy it, especially if you are upside down on car equity.

You do not need an attorney usually , just look up the laws in your state and write up your experience and send the letter to GM and your dealer. Then follow your states instructions.

GM does stand behind their cars. They bought back my 5th gen ZL1 I bought used. But it can take some time (mine was 4 months) and dealers can be reluctant to sell you a car under the buy back program. Keep your cool but be very, very persistent.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Johnny108

Yeah I actually have an attorney that's working on the case right now because originally gm wanted to buy back the car and give me $700 when I had put 6k into it already. I thought that was ridiculous so that's why I contacted an attorney. The only thing now though is that gm recently got back to us saying that they don't want to do a buy back anymore and would rather just write a check to try to bait me to keep the car. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm trying to keep my cool but it's so hard when I can't even enjoy the car. I was really hoping for some upgrades but everything has been put on hold.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2017 ZL1 BLK A10
GM is only responsible for their product and not any modification costs an owner applied to it, but that said, sorry to hear you got a lemon.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
rotohead

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Florida Lemon Law

Johnny108
I filed the lemon law in Florida on Jan 31st and the BBB represented me with GM, My car had an electrical short and they replaced the computers, batteries and the wire harness to no avail, It took GM two months to put the package together but they replaced my car.I took replacement over the buyback due to the fact that GM will short change you on buy back and follow MSRP on a replacement.
Explore all of your options, May not be a bad idea to speak with an attorney or ask you State Attorney General who represents the consumer in your state for them.
Good Luck
rotohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
CamaroNorth2017
Nuclear Engineer

Drives: 2017 NGM Camaro 1LT
Sorry to hear that you are having issues. What problems were you facing when you got the car?
2017 Camaro 1LT - Nightfall Gray Metallic - LTG 2.0L Turbo I4 - 8-Speed Auto - 20" Low Gloss Black Alum. Wheels - Matte Black RS Spoiler - LED Headlamps - Sunroof - Bose Premium Sound System - Smoked Tail lights - Rear Decklid Blackout - Black Bowties - Technology Package

"Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes." - Ray
CamaroNorth2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
Chances are and especially if you have a good relationship with the dealership, they can get agressive with the value of the vehicle on trade in, and be aggressive on discounting your new car.

I went through a problem with my car where it was in and out for the same issue from November to May. I called it a buy back, but in reality the dealer gave me a very aggressive trade in value and then gave me a good discount on my purchase to make it equitable for both parties. They knew the trouble I went through, and as I was calm and patient during the entire process they took care of me. We are also loyal good customers to our dealer, and I'm sure that helped also.

See what they are willing to do knowing what you've been through.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Make sweet lemonade out of the lemon law:

Get a SS and snag a 0% interest rate while you're at it. That will help make sense of the negative equity some. Any issues you're obviously dealing with are bound to mutiply the longer you keep it.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #11
Johnny108

Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I get things sorted out soon and I'll post up what happens!

Tags
advice, lemon law, trade in