Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
hurstnova350

Drives: 2006 Evo 9 SE
Ordering a ZL1 in LA area...

Hello all! This is my very first post as I plan on ordering a new ZL1 in the LA area. I live in Sherman Oaks and no one has a ZL1 specd the way I want it (Hyper Blue/6SPD/Sunroof/Exposed Carbon Hood Weave/NO Navi). I was curious if anyone has had a good experience with ordering a ZL1 in the LA area from a local Chevy Dealer. Not looking to pay MSRP. Also, what kind of deposit is required when ordering a car from the factory? I’ve never ordered one before. I appreciate any input, thanks!
hurstnova350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
When you say "Not looking to pay MSRP" you mean you want the dealer to order you a special allocation vehicle with zero markup, or you're willing to pay above sticker price?

The tough reality is that Cali dealers are neither friendly nor accommodating with specialty muscle cars...

I got my SS with a no bullshit price a smidge under MSRP out the door but it was on the lot. This was at Harbor Chevy. Carlos Pena is the guy.

Another place to check would be 818-481-0108 His name is Armen and he works at Rydell. Another straight shooter.

Most of my buddies that have purchased specialty vehicles have done so out of state. Cali dealers act like all of us don't give a shit about money out here and just make it rain everywhere we go lol.
// 3M/Gotch Design Sponsored Gloss Deep Space Colorshift Wrap //
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
hurstnova350

What I meant was I want to pay UNDER MSRP lol. No way I would ever pay markup on any car haha. I’m not expecting something crazy like 10k off a car that they have to order, but I’m just looking to get a fair deal for a bit under MSRP like 3k off or so (plus any incentives from GM that are offered at the time of purchase...I own an import so hopefully they do the $2,500 off for that)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
My approach has always been to deal with the internet department. I will send out a mass email to dealers all throughout California and see who wants to play ball. I ask for their rock bottom price on X car and bid the two lowest dealers against each other. Make sure and get the offer in writing and not over the phone. You can take that email to a local Chevy dealer and see what they can do. Or just order from the dealer that emailed you the offer. I put a 1500 dollar deposit on my SS which I think is the standard amount. Make sure it says in writing that its refundable.

I have bought a lot of car over the past ten years and Bay Area dealers are almost always the most competitive. Good luck with your search.

Also I got my SS at Rydell. I worked with Vig and he stayed true to his word for pricing and he didn’t play games.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
exxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
My approach has always been to deal with the internet department. I will send out a mass email to dealers all throughout California and see who wants to play ball. I ask for their rock bottom price on X car and bid the two lowest dealers against each other. Make sure and get the offer in writing and not over the phone. You can take that email to a local Chevy dealer and see what they can do. Or just order from the dealer that emailed you the offer. I put a 1500 dollar deposit on my SS which I think is the standard amount. Make sure it says in writing that its refundable.

I have bought a lot of car over the past ten years and Bay Area dealers are almost always the most competitive. Good luck with your search.

Also I got my SS at Rydell. I worked with Vig and he stayed true to his word for pricing and he didn’t play games.

For a car on the lot, this would work. For ordering a special allocation vehicle that ISN'T On the lot, I'm not sure how effective this will be.

My buddy's ZL1 was sitting at the dealer for a bit, so they gave it to him AT msrp + tax title licenses blah blah. His was a lease.

But you're talking about locking up a vehicle that dealers generally get 2 or so of so it would depend on how much they like you I guess haha.

Let's just put it this way, they're not incentivized to sell you that car at a loss when they know they could sell it for a markup here. Cali is a silly place to buy specialty vehicles IMO. I've already mentally prepped myself on the fact that the new Shelby will likely be the same way. So even though I have the perfect shelby in mind, I'll likely end up getting whatever they have on the lot and modding it to my taste -_-
Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
BigDave23

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I was in a similar position - couldn't find the spec I wanted at a local dealer (I live in the SFV too). I ended up ordering through Becky at James Martin Chevrolet in Detroit. She is very active on this forum (username: BeckyD@JamesMartinChevy) - you can email her at chevyfleet@aol.com

It was a no BS process - Becky gave me all discounts that were applicable (without me having to ask for them), kept me updated throughout the order/production/shipping process, and we handled all of the paperwork by mail. The car was delivered from the factory to Paradise Chevrolet in Ventura (where I took delivery this past weekend) so there were no additional shipping costs...
BigDave23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
are you a Costco member? they offer a discount through them....at least they did when i just got my wife's Traverse. they offered GM Supplier Discount. i get that through my work, but it was nice to know that Costco offered it up.

go to Camino Real Chevrolet and see Robb Hernandez. they're in Monterey Park...i got my 2010 Camaro, 2012 Traverse, 2015 Traverse, 2017 Camaro, and 2018 Traverse from Robb. my dad also got his 2010 Camaro from him. he'll take care of you, tell him Ryan sent you down.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
hurstnova350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave23 View Post
I was in a similar position - couldn't find the spec I wanted at a local dealer (I live in the SFV too). I ended up ordering through Becky at James Martin Chevrolet in Detroit. She is very active on this forum (username: BeckyD@JamesMartinChevy) - you can email her at chevyfleet@aol.com

It was a no BS process - Becky gave me all discounts that were applicable (without me having to ask for them), kept me updated throughout the order/production/shipping process, and we handled all of the paperwork by mail. The car was delivered from the factory to Paradise Chevrolet in Ventura (where I took delivery this past weekend) so there were no additional shipping costs...
Thanks man. I’ve seen her name pop up on these forums. I think I’m going to walk into a few dealers here and just see what they offer on the table for ordering one. If that doesn’t pan out, I may go that route and reach out to her. Question...what kind of deposit was required and how long did you wait to take delivery and finalize payment? Thanks!!
Old 03-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
I am of no help. There are not many Zl1 verts , and even fewer in the color I wanted. I walked into a dealership and saw one on the ramp... ended up leaving my v there and drove the vert home. They wanted 10K markup, I got it for 4k markup, but they would not budge on the price because they KNEW I couldn't get one elsewhere and anyone that ordered it was gonna mark it up..

what you want is not the rarest of vehicles. I am sure you can find one somewhere in the country, and use that as a bargaining tool. If they refuse to give it to you for the price you want, it may be cheaper to fly to a different state, buy the vehicle and either ship it or drive it back to cali. I have seen these cars as little as $59k brand new!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
For a car on the lot, this would work. For ordering a special allocation vehicle that ISN'T On the lot, I'm not sure how effective this will be.

My buddy's ZL1 was sitting at the dealer for a bit, so they gave it to him AT msrp + tax title licenses blah blah. His was a lease.

But you're talking about locking up a vehicle that dealers generally get 2 or so of so it would depend on how much they like you I guess haha.

Let's just put it this way, they're not incentivized to sell you that car at a loss when they know they could sell it for a markup here. Cali is a silly place to buy specialty vehicles IMO. I've already mentally prepped myself on the fact that the new Shelby will likely be the same way. So even though I have the perfect shelby in mind, I'll likely end up getting whatever they have on the lot and modding it to my taste -_-
I did it with my ordered 2016 and it worked just fine. They offered me almost 5k off msrp. Plus any incentives that were applicable at the time of delivery.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
exxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
I did it with my ordered 2016 and it worked just fine. They offered me almost 5k off msrp. Plus any incentives that were applicable at the time of delivery.
Because it was not a ZL1 bud, notice i stressed the words SPECIAL ALLOCATION vehicle. I got my SS well under MSRP before taxes as well but that will NOT be the case with a ZL1. They have plenty of incentive to move an SS off the lot at a loss (or no profit up front) as they'll get kick backs for volume on those. With a special allocation vehicle they're given a certain number they can have so they know they can squeeze a few off a customer who really wants one. After a car sits on the lot for a while though, that game changes and if someone walks in with the credit and is serious they may let it go at sticker. But a ZL1 UNDER Sticker and special ordered form California? Call that California Dreaming. Or a favor from someone who either feels like doing you a HUGE solid or knows/likes you for some reason.

Again, you're better off buying the car out of state, just make sure you factor in state registration taxes. Either pay them with your down payment or add it to your loan depending on what your finances look like.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
Because it was not a ZL1 bud, notice i stressed the words SPECIAL ALLOCATION vehicle. I got my SS well under MSRP before taxes as well but that will NOT be the case with a ZL1. They have plenty of incentive to move an SS off the lot at a loss (or no profit up front) as they'll get kick backs for volume on those. With a special allocation vehicle they're given a certain number they can have so they know they can squeeze a few off a customer who really wants one. After a car sits on the lot for a while though, that game changes and if someone walks in with the credit and is serious they may let it go at sticker. But a ZL1 UNDER Sticker and special ordered form California? Call that California Dreaming. Or a favor from someone who either feels like doing you a HUGE solid or knows/likes you for some reason.

Again, you're better off buying the car out of state, just make sure you factor in state registration taxes. Either pay them with your down payment or add it to your loan depending on what your finances look like.
You haven't purchased from me then PM if anyone interested in a ZL1
Current: 2016 Tahoe LT
Current: 2018 Mini Countryman S
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
BigDave23

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstnova350 View Post
Question...what kind of deposit was required and how long did you wait to take delivery and finalize payment? Thanks!!
I didn't give Becky a deposit - not sure if that's her standard policy or because the car I ordered didn't have any expensive and unpopular options.

Time from order to delivery was 8 weeks. This can vary due to ordering constraints - Becky has a good handle on what's going on at the factory.

Price was finalized a few days before delivery. I knew at the time I ordered that I'd be paying supplier price (I get the supplier discount through my employer) minus any available incentives. Since incentives change over time, I didn't know which incentives would be available at the time of delivery. This worked to my advantage because the $2,500 import conquest deal hit the system about a week before my car arrived...
BigDave23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickracenLS3 View Post
You haven't purchased from me then PM if anyone interested in a ZL1
OP, I would take him up on his offer! But until he shows that he can deliver, I agree 100% with exxit. I see a lot of people here commenting but (no offense) none of them have purchased ZL1’s . Huge difference between a 1SS or 2SS (with a dozen or so on the lot and in inventory) and a special order ZL1
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote