Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
What can I do to get a bit more power

Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I've been on here.... I finally got a cam and headers installed (BTR stage 2.5 cam). Got the dyno tune done and she put down 458whp. When factoring in 15% driveline loss on my manual, I'm at about 537hp crank. My goal was to reach 550hp crank. I was told my numbers were a bit low because of the Vararam intake I have restricting airflow a bit compared to other airboxes. I'm not sure if that is true or not and how much difference it would really make.

Does anybody have comparable configuration with numbers for comparison?
Also, what would be the next step to get a 30hp or so bump without changing the cam. I'm thinking that i'm stuck because the only other options would be supercharge or cam change. I was told that the heads on the LS3 flow huge stock and that changing them or throttle body won't really help.

Mods are:
1/7-8 headers into highflow cats and straight piped beyond
BTR stage 2.5 cam
3:91 diff gear
tune
vararam intake

Thanks very much for your input
Old 12-21-2023, 04:33 PM   #2
1LE_Justin

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
I had a 2015 1LE prior to the one I have now back over summer. It had the new BTR Stage 2 v2 cam with headers and a Rotofab CAI. Dyno'd at 477whp and 452 tq.
In terms of getting the extra 30hp bump N/A, would be porting your stock cylinder heads or aftermarket heads.
1LE_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 05:37 PM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I've been on here.... I finally got a cam and headers installed (BTR stage 2.5 cam). Got the dyno tune done and she put down 458whp. When factoring in 15% driveline loss on my manual, I'm at about 537hp crank. My goal was to reach 550hp crank. I was told my numbers were a bit low because of the Vararam intake I have restricting airflow a bit compared to other airboxes. I'm not sure if that is true or not and how much difference it would really make.

Does anybody have comparable configuration with numbers for comparison?
Also, what would be the next step to get a 30hp or so bump without changing the cam. I'm thinking that i'm stuck because the only other options would be supercharge or cam change. I was told that the heads on the LS3 flow huge stock and that changing them or throttle body won't really help.

Mods are:
1/7-8 headers into highflow cats and straight piped beyond
BTR stage 2.5 cam
3:91 diff gear
tune
vararam intake

Thanks very much for your input
From what I've read on here over the years for the stage 2 cams, your numbers are right in the ball park of where they should be. Each car and dyno are different entities and will be different. For the extra umph you are looking for, porting and polishing your heads, or a good set of aftermarket ones will net you anywhere from 20-30 more HP. And as for the Veraram holding you back, I don't think that would be an issue if your tuner had the cooling blowers set up right. I'm running a stage 3 in my setup with stock heads, and my specs and numbers are in my sig.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:47 PM   #4
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I don't believe that your cai is a problem. I agree with the guys here, I think you would need some good heads or have the ones you have ported. I just got some TSP CNC Ported heads but haven't got it re-dynoed just yet. I'm thinking I'll have it re-dynoed in January so if you watch my build thread I'll report my results.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 10:55 AM   #5
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
RCR or GPI intake manifold may net another 10ish at the wheel. Porting the heads or milling them would be the next biggest thing N/A.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:14 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
The over-the-radiator Vararam is the best in the business for 2010-2011 Camaro's, so I wouldn't lean to heavily on advise coming from that channel. For what it's worth on my car the Vararam OTR picked up power over the Cold Air Inductions intake.

As a few have said, the power sounds about right for the combination, the BTR Stage 2.5 is still a fairly mild camshaft, and so you've got to manage your expectations. Your top three best bang for your buck mods in terms of power are going to be porting your factory heads (20-30hp), port and rod-mod your factory intake (10-15hp), and add a 25% underdrive pulley (4-7hp).
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:50 PM   #7
ss camaro-monte

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss, 87 monte ss
Well on GPIs dyno with a custom vvt baby cam 216 228 duration, their ported intake, heads, throttle body and slightly more compression with e85 I made 459rwhp all through a 6l80e.

Ported Heads, intake and throttle body will probably get you 30-35rwhp. e85 might get you 5-10 if you bump the compression a little but not much.

Another member has all the same mods as mine except he has the ss1 vvt and no e85 and he made 15rwhp more than I. Another member made about 25rwhp less than me and he had the ss1 vvt but stock heads, compression, intake, throttle and no e85.

All of these were on gpis dyno in Arkansas around the same time of the year in the spring to show you a comparison.

Trying to show you that ported intake, heads and a little more compression can make a difference but like Andrew said the bigger you go with a cam the more driveability you lose.

I already pull away from brand new stock gt mustangs and Don't hook without drag radials on the street with just a 3200 stall and 3.73s. Imo if 460rwhp isn't enough for you 500 probably won't be either. Might as well start the power adders imo.

Oh and I have the newer vararam I take system to the side. Makes better power than the cai setup.
ss camaro-monte is offline   Reply With Quote