Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Nate2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Best dash cam?

Had my car broken into this morning for what I believe is my own fault. I’m looking into a dash cam to hopefully fix this issue.

What dash cams would you guys recommend?
Old 11-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
.357 Magnum
ABM2SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Dash cam won't do anything to deter a criminal. They'll just take it as well. A well lit parking area and readily apparent security camera will do more, but even that won't deter many criminals. They know the risks of getting identified and prosecuted are very minimal.

The absolute best option if the car must sit outside is nothing of valuable visible and doors locked. Young thieves are often just door handle shakers. They'll try to find an unlocked car then rummage it. Professional/organized theft crews will scout for cars with visible valuables, mark them, then hit them all at once before fleeing. Note some of an armed overwatch, home owners have been shot confronting the thieves, (now robbers at that point) so be very careful and really look at who's around if you feel the urge to rush out and confront them.

When I was a uniformed cop I had pretty good success reducing break-ins from organized rings in apartment complexes and gyms by educating people about leaving stuff visible. Grocery stores/Wal-marts, etc where there was a lot of turn over and I couldn't talk to enough people to make a dent continued to get ransacked until we busted two of the crews doing them.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I have a Blackvue and love it. I cant remember the model off the top of my head and its not the top tier model but still, the clarity is awesome for both the front and rear. The app is super easy to use also

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Smith and Wesson security services
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #6
Rob3D

Drives: Car
If it was at home when broken into, get a ring cam and point it at the car. Otherwise you’re rolling the dice on any camera inside the car. It’s a shame manufacturers don’t take a page from Tesla’s book. Eight cameras, 360 degrees recording 24/7. (Even those can be defeated with a simple ski mask.)

The 357 answer is stupid. If you. shoot someone just breaking into your car, you are going to jail. If your, or others, life is not in jeopardy with no immediate threat, it won’t be justified. Courts will put life over property every time. You will spend your life savings or go into enormous debt for attorneys and wind up losing anyway. (Rittenhouse paid over $700,000.00 even though most was paid by outside donors). Same thing for trespassing. Yes, in Georgia too.

If someone wants to break into your car, they’re gonna get in. Your best bet is, don’t leave valuables in your car, park smart and good insurance. A dash cam is just another valuable to be stolen.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #7
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I just got a Rove R2-4K dash cam for my daily driver. It has WiFi connectivity for your cell phone and a very affordable and comprehensive hard wire kit is available from the manufacturer as well. You can record 24/7 with a battery drain safeguard built in. As others have said, keep all valuables out of sight, park in a well light area and get a security camera on your house that is aimed at your car. An alarm on your car would also be a good idea, your manual gearbox will keep most thieves from stealing the car itself.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late

Last edited by AG454; 11-23-2021 at 07:29 PM.
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #8
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I've always considered but never tried an idea a coworker once mentioned. A cheap alarm with the siren on the INSIDE of the car. Just a thought.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
they love to steal dash cams
Old 11-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
A dash cam is great for driving but won't do anything for theft. Get a quality alarm, low jack, or just remember to lock your doors. I'm sorry this happened to you. Good luck!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:32 PM   #11
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
I’m thinking they’re just good ideas the way the world is going these days. Never know what you’ll see or need to reproduce as evidence.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:34 AM   #12
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnmn View Post
I’m thinking they’re just good ideas the way the world is going these days. Never know what you’ll see or need to reproduce as evidence.
^^^^ This. The way people are driving these days, running red lights and just not paying any attention to anything other than their phone, a dash cam could help prove what they did to cause the accident or incident. Of course, it could always work against you just the same.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I have a Nextbase 322 dash cam. It's good, but their app is worthless.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
BatmaroBeauty
BOOST OR BUST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
CarLock may be something that interests you. It’s a device you purchase that plugs into your OBD2 port and detects vibration, if your engine is started, and has live GPS tracking all straight to your phone with a paid subscription option. When it detects vibration it immediately triggers a siren alarm on your phone in real time. That’s anything from hood or doors being opened/shut, not sure if it would get glass breaking as I haven’t had that tested nor do I really want to (since that would mean someone did it my car). The company may have more info available on their site. I love mine, gives me such peace of mind knowing when it’s activated that my car is safe wherever I left it.

BUILD STATUS: LOADING BOOST . . .
BatmaroBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote