Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #631
buckholt82

Drives: 2010 camaro
I found a work around for adding swc to a camaro that different come equipped. You will save at least 250 bucks. I did it to my 2010 camaro. And didn't even have to get the bcm reprogrammed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
buckholt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #632
buckholt82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendRF View Post
I've wondered this same thing. I would guess this depends on if the SWC module for the aftermarket stereo needs communication from the BCM, or if it just interprets signals from the switch itself.

I've not been able to find a direct answer to if this works though.
I found a way with out bcm programming.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #633
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Post it ?

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #634
buckholt82

This is the quick short version if you are interested and if so get ahold of me for more details or wiring diagrams or whatever. Ill do my best to help. Ok on my 2010 camaro i bought a steering wheel that had radio controls on it. The car was equipped already with the wiresfor it but the bcm would not work with it unless programmed to do so by dealer. Which for me i called at least 20 and only 2 knew what i was talking about and the both wanted $250 plus to program it so i said f that. So i read and read about the cheap android radios which i have and looked at my wiring diagrams and other info about the controls and wires. And blah blah blah. And after ALL that time i spent i figured out that all you have to do is remove the air bag from steering wheel and cut the hot wire that feeds the radio controls and connect that wire to the ground wire right beside it and then cut the othe end that leaves from the controls to the bcm but dont cut it at the steering wheel cut it about 2 inches away from the bcm then tie it to the blue wire or whatever wire color it is for the swc. And on the swc headphone wire (what i did but probably not needed) cut that end off and ground the bare wire to a ground and cap the other 2 off or if you dont have the single swc wire on your radio then use on of the 2 i said to cap off and tie it to the wire by the bcm. Ill make a drawing tomorrow that explains it way better if this is not good enough. And remember if you need to know what wire to cut at the bcm then just ask me. Make sure you tell me the year make model etc. Its pretty easy even tho it sounds difficult. Also remember to disconnect the battery cable. Im also about to if possible bypass the onstar crap and tie the gps wire to my radio and the 3 bottons to the radio and make them control the phone options and something else. Oh and make tje factory mic work or at least reuse the wire harnesses to make a different mic work. If you need to call or text me let me know and ill send you my info.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:07 AM   #635
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckholt82 View Post
This is the quick short version if you are interested and if so get ahold of me for more details or wiring diagrams or whatever. Ill do my best to help. Ok on my 2010 camaro i bought a steering wheel that had radio controls on it. The car was equipped already with the wiresfor it but the bcm would not work with it unless programmed to do so by dealer. Which for me i called at least 20 and only 2 knew what i was talking about and the both wanted $250 plus to program it so i said f that. So i read and read about the cheap android radios which i have and looked at my wiring diagrams and other info about the controls and wires. And blah blah blah. And after ALL that time i spent i figured out that all you have to do is remove the air bag from steering wheel and cut the hot wire that feeds the radio controls and connect that wire to the ground wire right beside it and then cut the othe end that leaves from the controls to the bcm but dont cut it at the steering wheel cut it about 2 inches away from the bcm then tie it to the blue wire or whatever wire color it is for the swc. And on the swc headphone wire (what i did but probably not needed) cut that end off and ground the bare wire to a ground and cap the other 2 off or if you dont have the single swc wire on your radio then use on of the 2 i said to cap off and tie it to the wire by the bcm. Ill make a drawing tomorrow that explains it way better if this is not good enough. And remember if you need to know what wire to cut at the bcm then just ask me. Make sure you tell me the year make model etc. Its pretty easy even tho it sounds difficult. Also remember to disconnect the battery cable. Im also about to if possible bypass the onstar crap and tie the gps wire to my radio and the 3 bottons to the radio and make them control the phone options and something else. Oh and make tje factory mic work or at least reuse the wire harnesses to make a different mic work. If you need to call or text me let me know and ill send you my info.

Nice!

I have a frankenstein of a car.

2011 1lt/rs with 2014 Mylink radio

2012 ZL1 dash is going in ( when I find time )with 2012 ZL1 stearing wheel

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #636
buckholt82

Im not sure if it will work with the factory mylink radio. It uses that can bus which is a different signal then what im talking about. You might be able to convert it with something like the pac swc module but with out that info i cant be sure. My way works with android radios at least the cheap ones. You could always buy a used bcm and hope it is set up for the swc. But im not 100 percent sure that would work either.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #637
ReverendRF

Drives: 2010 1SS
That's a great find man. If you had some pictures to share for some context that would be much appreciated
ReverendRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #638
buckholt82

X3 connector on bcm.

Let me check to see if this will be the same for 2011 and 2012. If you need to know sooner before i get around to posting text me 9792045927 Jason

Last edited by buckholt82; 07-20-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:13 AM   #639
imponte

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
I have a question. I m installing led steering wheel. And i need a 12 v power cable. Which color for power cable on the steering wheel?
imponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #640
imponte

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Up !!
imponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:22 AM   #641
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Well... this is a long thread to read so forgive me for skipping most of it.

My scenario is that I had this upgrade* done by the dealer back in 2013 and the audio/stereo controls have been working fine until about a year ago.

Now the volume does not work and the change tracks for the music/ipod/iphone/dvd just switches back and between radio stations :-O

I guess something has been reset, but what and how could it be solved.

Many thanks for reading and my lazy skipping of 46 pages of thread :-)

2010 Camaro V6 LT1 + upgrades*

Last edited by redleader; 02-16-2023 at 04:23 AM. Reason: spelling typo's
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote