Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #1
bure

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
New kid on the block

Hey all!!

Long, long long time lurker and first time poster. I came to the forums the first I heard about the ZL1 coming out and fell in love with it when I saw it. At the time it came out, it was just bad timing for me to get one. Fast forward 10 years, and I finally got my dream car. A 2012 ZL1 inferno orange metallic, 6 speed, carbon fiber insert and no moonroof. It's exactly how I would of ordered it back in 2012. Only 8400 miles. It was a California car and I'm in Michigan. I've never seen a car 10 years old in the condition this thing is in. Previous owner never drove it in the rain. You could eat off the bottom of it. Only the second time my wife saw me cry, was when it came off the transport trailer. Balled my eyes out, especially when the driver started it up inside the trailer. Couldn't be happier with the car. I had a 2002 Camaro SS sunset orange metallic hardtop 6 speed and wish I still had it to start a collection, but sadly I sold it.

I had one question I was hoping someone could answer. Will a 2013 radio fit into a 2012 car? The 2012 radio just looks so cheap. At least the 2013 model radio has a bigger screen. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on once I start modding. Oh, and the car is completely bone stock right down to the air intake. I plan on doin a dyno when the car is stock, and then proceed to talking with Ted at Jannetty racing when I start modding. My step brother is a retired powertrain engineer from GM at the tech center in Warren Michigan, and is the most knowledgeable person when it comes to cars. Just on a completely different level. Hes not the typical engineer either. He's a road racer and quarter mile guy, so hes always good to have in the back pocket Thanks in advance.
bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
The SS Godfather

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bure View Post
Hey all!!

Long, long long time lurker and first time poster. I came to the forums the first I heard about the ZL1 coming out and fell in love with it when I saw it. At the time it came out, it was just bad timing for me to get one. Fast forward 10 years, and I finally got my dream car. A 2012 ZL1 inferno orange metallic, 6 speed, carbon fiber insert and no moonroof. It's exactly how I would of ordered it back in 2012. Only 8400 miles. It was a California car and I'm in Michigan. I've never seen a car 10 years old in the condition this thing is in. Previous owner never drove it in the rain. You could eat off the bottom of it. Only the second time my wife saw me cry, was when it came off the transport trailer. Balled my eyes out, especially when the driver started it up inside the trailer. Couldn't be happier with the car. I had a 2002 Camaro SS sunset orange metallic hardtop 6 speed and wish I still had it to start a collection, but sadly I sold it.

I had one question I was hoping someone could answer. Will a 2013 radio fit into a 2012 car? The 2012 radio just looks so cheap. At least the 2013 model radio has a bigger screen. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on once I start modding. Oh, and the car is completely bone stock right down to the air intake. I plan on doin a dyno when the car is stock, and then proceed to talking with Ted at Jannetty racing when I start modding. My step brother is a retired powertrain engineer from GM at the tech center in Warren Michigan, and is the most knowledgeable person when it comes to cars. Just on a completely different level. Hes not the typical engineer either. He's a road racer and quarter mile guy, so hes always good to have in the back pocket Thanks in advance.
I may be wrong buy the 2010,2012 were different setup than the 13,14 and 15!! so no i feel sorry.
The SS Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #3
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Hey all!!

Aftermarket setup for stereo is the way to go unless your sold on outdated tech. This is my Z28 setup and can be returned to OEM within 20 minutes with no damage to OEM wire harness. There’s a few different install kits depending on your taste.

Good luck and congrats
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:50 PM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Radio? Who cares! You have a 580 horsepower symphony being conducted by an LSA Supercharger. Turn up the volume with your right foot!
Old 08-09-2022, 08:32 PM   #5
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Radio? Who cares! You have a 580 horsepower symphony being conducted by an LSA Supercharger. Turn up the volume with your right foot!
EXACTLY!!!! I could care less what the radio in my car looks like or sounds like!
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:04 PM   #6
bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
EXACTLY!!!! I could care less what the radio in my car looks like or sounds like!

To each his own.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Aftermarket setup for stereo is the way to go unless your sold on outdated tech. This is my Z28 setup and can be returned to OEM within 20 minutes with no damage to OEM wire harness. There’s a few different install kits depending on your taste.

Good luck and congrats
Thanks. I love that shifter ball. Definitely want one. Do you have the shifter linkage too? Who makes it?
Old 08-09-2022, 09:26 PM   #8
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Thanks. I love that shifter ball. Definitely want one. Do you have the shifter linkage too? Who makes it?
MGW, they offer a few different sticks. I’ve got the retro with the ball in to drive it and have an OEM set up if that time ever comes to switch back to OEM look but retain the MGW shifter.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:16 AM   #9
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Congratulations. My cars twin. 2012 Inferno Orange Metallic. I had the flat black original hood scoop painted as part of my stripes painted on in Carbon Flash Metallic and a few other things but basically the same car.

I also replaced the radio with a Double Din Kenwood radio with Nav and Apple car play etc. It's a nice upgrade and makes my long rides better.

Enjoy the ride!!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #10
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Welcome to the party and congrats on the ZL1!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:04 AM   #11
bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Welcome to the party and congrats on the ZL1!

Thanks. It's been a long time coming.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:24 AM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Congratulations and this is the sound of your new radio....lol

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/ZZ9x5Gw8A2k
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #13
bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post

I do. Thanks for asking.