Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2023, 12:48 PM   #1
crock2411
Christian

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
What should I do that’s not forced induction

I am looking into getting a V-6 Camaro and I’m not sure which yours would be better to modify. It sounds like the 2010, and 2011 are better because you can do headers on them but I don’t really understand why people are saying that you can’t do it on the years after that.
If I were to get something that was stock, I would put a cold air intake on it for sure and I’d like to do headers but I’m not really sure what to do. After that I see some people say put on a catch can but I’m not sure if that’s even necessary, and I’d probably like to do a ported throttlebody. I figure I can get around 300 hp to the wheels which would be plenty for someone like me, and anymore would probably get me into some trouble (I’m 22) I do not want to do any forced induction and I don’t wanna change the CAM either
I’d like to be able to track the car so I’d love to be able to do handling upgrades like coil overs, sway bars, and probably four piston calipers in the front.
Those are just my thoughts. I don’t really know yet but Id appreciate if anyone has some information on what they think I should do.
crock2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:44 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
2012- 15 Camaros have the LFX engine (2010 - 11 have LLT) which has integrated exhaust manifolds (built into the cylinder head), so there is just a pipe bolted to either head rather than a manifold. You'll get a different sound with long tube headers, for example, but otherwise with any given mods you'll get a similar amount of power from either engine. A full intake, exhaust, tune will get you around 300 HP to the wheels.

The LFX also uses a plastic/composite intake manifold which soaks up a lot less heat and would be much better if you're racing, but I believe the LFX manifold fits right on the LLT (not 100% sure though off hand).

A catch can is recommended because these engines are direct injection and thus the fuel doesn't keep the intake valves clean (like port injection). Due to the PCV system the intake valves tend to get coated with oil and a catch can will reduce (not eliminate) how much oil the valves see.

Your best bang-for-your-buck option for speed/acceleration would be a 1LE rear end (3.91 gears vs. 3.27), but you'll have to find one used.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:09 AM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Since you're a Camaro novice the advice is very simple. If you want performance and easy mild modifications for eventual track use buy a well cared for SS with a V8. Yes you can do performance mods to V6 cars but there isn't really a lot out there and it takes a talented individual to coordinate what is available and get significant gains. The V6 cars do make EXCELLENT daily drivers with good fuel economy and more than enough power in stock form.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:11 PM   #4
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
The LFX cars are better for a couple reasons. The head design did away with heave exhaust manifolds and the new head design flows very well, no header needed, and roughly 20 hp more. Also they came with the upgraded chains (but only the LFX motors in the Camaros.)
Surprisingly the V6 cars had a substandard manual Toyota transmission and develops issues over time. Toyota doesn't often have lemons but that was one.
Also '13 up (mid 12s too) had the better PCV valve so less sludge under the passengers valve cover, valve coking, etc.

I agree with Arizona tho, if you want track performance get the V8. To throw the car around the track you need torque to move these heavy pigs and V8s do that, plus more bang for your buck when you begin modding. A lot more mods available for the V8s too.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:26 PM   #5
xlmusicp
LTCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT / 2014 C7 M7 3LT
IMHO, the only real gain the LFX has over the LLT is being flex fuel capable. Otherwise with an adaptor you can bolt on the LFX UIM and then go the route of LTHs.

Catch can is def recommended for prolonged engine life and at some point switch to 5w40/50 weighted oil.

xlmusicp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:44 AM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Welcome to a V6.

Remember anyone can make a V8 go faster, but it is the challenge to make a V6 perform that many of us ENJOY.

Try starting with this thread.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16893

For further build information, click on my link below inside my signature.