Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 01-10-2023, 01:48 PM   #1
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Autocross Help

Hey guys just wanted to ask a few questions regarding autocross. I'll be attending the Texas LS Festival at Texas Motor Speedway in this coming May and wanted to get a few tips. As far as my set up, it goes like this:

I have an oil cooler, trans cooler, 174* thermostat, ebc crossed and drilled rotors with their blue stuff ndx race pads, bilstein b6 shocks and struts with Chevy Camaro ZL1 2012-2015, Pro-Kit Front and Rear Lowering Coil Springs with 0.5" Front and 0.3" Rear Drop Height by Eibach, bmr rear trailing arms, and goodyear eagle f1 supercar 3 tires 285/30/20 fronts and 305/30/20 rears.

I also have a modified engine (see sig) with a 3600 stall converter. My first question is the stall going to hurt anything?

My next question is I assume that I will want to run in manual mode but not sure. If so what gears will I primarily use?

Any recommendations for tire pressure?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:35 AM   #2
hawkyV8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6m
Sounds like your car is set up to be a beast!

My car is a manual so I can only offer a tip on your last question. I would start in the 32-34psi range. Obviously the temps will go up up as you run and being in Texas the ambient air could add more to that. I usually end up adding air to the fronts and leaving the rears lower unless they start rolling over.

Good luck and have fun!
hawkyV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

Thank you sir.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 01-11-2023, 01:51 PM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Autocrossing the Gen5 Camaro can be fun but there are some challenges involved. It's a rather large, high powered vehicle with difficult sight lines. I dabbled a bit in Auto X with my Z and I could never tell how close I was to the damned cones and while it was fun blasting around the course I just wasn't disciplined enough to hold back on the throttle and I constantly was trying to power (not finesse) my way through. In your case I would begin with the tire press at 30 psi, put the auto trans in second and use left foot breaking. Old school trick is to crayon the tires near the tread wear triangle and when the mark is worn to the top you're in the general vicinity of good pressure for the day. Don't be afraid to ask other guys with similar cars what they're doing. #1 rule: HAVE FUN!
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
morepowerjoe

Thanks for the tips!

Old 01-11-2023, 02:04 PM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Just re-read your post and saw your event isn't until May. Find a few local Auto X events and do a fact-finding mission with some of the racers. A car show with cars that GO! You can even practice some of your technique on the street and in empty parking lots, just don't run afoul of the law.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:25 AM   #7
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
As with a lot of first timers to an autocross you're over-thinking it. A bone-stock car is very well set up. Chevrolet engineers our cars to do everything well. Leave the car in drive and let it shift on its own. I did 1 lap in a '16 SS auto, and it was always in the power.

Don't adjust anything on the suspension unless something is way wrong. The best advice would be to get an instructor to ride shotgun for a few laps, and then let the instructor drive your car for 1 or 2 laps. They will be able to push the car near its limit, and tell you if something needs to be addressed. Most cars will behave perfectly at 8/10ths. It isn't until you push the car near the max (9-10/10ths), that you'll see its flaws.

Check tire pressure after every run, and try to take note on how the tires are behaving. You're running a road race type tire, so they can handle heat really well. A top shelf autocross tire will get up to temp fast, but get too hot after a few runs and need to be sprayed to cool down. I doubt you'll encounter a problem with Supercar tires.

Bring a cooler full of beverages, some snacks, a chair or 2, a gazebo (tie it down so it doesn't fly into a car), a small air compressor, a tire gauge, helmet, comfortable shoes, etc. You'll want to get there early and walk the course at least 4 times. Walk with someone knowledgeable, but also walk it alone once without someone talking in your ear. Too many times I see guys walking the course in groups, and they aren't really focusing on the course, they're just yapping away. Most regions will do a novice walk-through with instructors. Pay attention to what they say.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:16 PM   #8
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
As with a lot of first timers to an autocross you're over-thinking it. A bone-stock car is very well set up. Chevrolet engineers our cars to do everything well. Leave the car in drive and let it shift on its own. I did 1 lap in a '16 SS auto, and it was always in the power.

Don't adjust anything on the suspension unless something is way wrong. The best advice would be to get an instructor to ride shotgun for a few laps, and then let the instructor drive your car for 1 or 2 laps. They will be able to push the car near its limit, and tell you if something needs to be addressed. Most cars will behave perfectly at 8/10ths. It isn't until you push the car near the max (9-10/10ths), that you'll see its flaws.

Check tire pressure after every run, and try to take note on how the tires are behaving. You're running a road race type tire, so they can handle heat really well. A top shelf autocross tire will get up to temp fast, but get too hot after a few runs and need to be sprayed to cool down. I doubt you'll encounter a problem with Supercar tires.

Bring a cooler full of beverages, some snacks, a chair or 2, a gazebo (tie it down so it doesn't fly into a car), a small air compressor, a tire gauge, helmet, comfortable shoes, etc. You'll want to get there early and walk the course at least 4 times. Walk with someone knowledgeable, but also walk it alone once without someone talking in your ear. Too many times I see guys walking the course in groups, and they aren't really focusing on the course, they're just yapping away. Most regions will do a novice walk-through with instructors. Pay attention to what they say.
Thank you sir.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:56 AM   #9
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post

This^^^^

If you have the choice to work or drive the course first always work the course first so you can watch.

You will most likely put the car in 2nd gear and leave it there.

Momentum is king, being smooth is king. Snatching the car around and spinning tires SEEMS fast but isn't. What seems slow is really fast.

Keep your eyes up and look where you want to go, your hands will take you where your eyes are looking.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:44 PM   #10
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
This^^^^

If you have the choice to work or drive the course first always work the course first so you can watch.

You will most likely put the car in 2nd gear and leave it there.

Momentum is king, being smooth is king. Snatching the car around and spinning tires SEEMS fast but isn't. What seems slow is really fast.

Keep your eyes up and look where you want to go, your hands will take you where your eyes are looking.
Thanks

Old 03-30-2023, 01:16 PM   #11
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Hey guys just wanted to ask a few questions regarding autocross. I'll be attending the Texas LS Festival at Texas Motor Speedway in this coming May and wanted to get a few tips. As far as my set up, it goes like this:

I have an oil cooler, trans cooler, 174* thermostat, ebc crossed and drilled rotors with their blue stuff ndx race pads, bilstein b6 shocks and struts with Chevy Camaro ZL1 2012-2015, Pro-Kit Front and Rear Lowering Coil Springs with 0.5" Front and 0.3" Rear Drop Height by Eibach, bmr rear trailing arms, and goodyear eagle f1 supercar 3 tires 285/30/20 fronts and 305/30/20 rears.

I also have a modified engine (see sig) with a 3600 stall converter. My first question is the stall going to hurt anything?

My next question is I assume that I will want to run in manual mode but not sure. If so what gears will I primarily use?

Any recommendations for tire pressure?
1. Leave the trans in auto mode. If it has a sport mode or something other then regular drive I'd give that a try. It will do better then you manually shifting and it will downshift when needed. The paddles I'm sure have such a large delay in actually performing the shift that it won't shift when you tell it to anyhow.

2. If you are new to autocross leave your ego at the gate. You will likely get beat by many cars that are not even modified or lower HP (like a miata). Don't worry about that. Just have fun and talk to people. You will get tips and tricks and you will learn how to get faster.

3. Try to connect all the turns together with smooth arcs. Don't drive it like point and shoot car. If you just mash the gas pedal from cone to cone and connect them all with straight lines you will be slower then the driver that learn how to connect them all with smooth flowing continuous arcs.

4. For Tire pressures I'd start at 32 psig cold and check after a couple runs. Try to keep them in the 32-34 psig range when they get hot.

5. Don't be shy to ask for ride alongs with other drivers. You can learn so much by riding with faster drivers. Then you don't have to worry about doing any of the driving inputs. You can just observe their driving line, where they brake, where they accelerate, how they connect the cones with smooth arcs, etc... Ride alongs with faster drivers especially in similar cars will be one of the fastest ways for you to learn yourself. So don't be shy! Make some new friends. Ask for ride alongs.

6. Most important tip: HAVE FUN!
Old 03-30-2023, 01:22 PM   #12
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
1. Leave the trans in auto mode. If it has a sport mode or something other then regular drive I'd give that a try. It will do better then you manually shifting and it will downshift when needed. The paddles I'm sure have such a large delay in actually performing the shift that it won't shift when you tell it to anyhow.

2. If you are new to autocross leave your ego at the gate. You will likely get beat by many cars that are not even modified or lower HP (like a miata). Don't worry about that. Just have fun and talk to people. You will get tips and tricks and you will learn how to get faster.

3. Try to connect all the turns together with smooth arcs. Don't drive it like point and shoot car. If you just mash the gas pedal from cone to cone and connect them all with straight lines you will be slower then the driver that learn how to connect them all with smooth flowing continuous arcs.

4. For Tire pressures I'd start at 32 psig cold and check after a couple runs. Try to keep them in the 32-34 psig range when they get hot.

5. Don't be shy to ask for ride alongs with other drivers. You can learn so much by riding with faster drivers. Then you don't have to worry about doing any of the driving inputs. You can just observe their driving line, where they brake, where they accelerate, how they connect the cones with smooth arcs, etc... Ride alongs with faster drivers especially in similar cars will be one of the fastest ways for you to learn yourself. So don't be shy! Make some new friends. Ask for ride alongs.

6. Most important tip: HAVE FUN!
Thank you!