Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Dan55

Drives: Intimidator camaro!
V6 flowmasters straight pipe axel back?

Hey all.

I tried searching, and couldn't find exactly what I was lookin for... So,

I just had a axel back straight pipe flowmasters installed on my V6 2014 2LT. It did make it louder... But it's not enough for me. The mechanic said by deleting the resonator it would step it up a notch.
Is it worth the delete? Will I notice a big diff?

Thanks camaro brothers and sisters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dan55; 07-16-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
Dan55

Drives: Intimidator camaro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
Hey Dan

Greg here!

So long story short (well sort of short if you're okay with reading is that I originally went with Super 44 Flowmaster Mufflers from those super ugly GM Trash Can Mufflers. Huge improvement as far as sound and decibel level/loudness. I still however was not getting it as loud as I wanted it to be so I heard about removing the resonators!

I went back to the shop, had that done and it was a tad bit louder and worth the money to get it done! A lot of people talk about getting an XPIPE by the way, and i'm not interested in that at the moment because i'm not racing. I like HPIPE, and have had as many as three HPIPES installed at once which gave me tons of torque, but too much at one point where I would constantly skid when trying to go...irritating.

The best bang for your buck bolt on is the DOUG THORLEY HEADERS (Shorty's) that I purchased. It took about a day to install but was worth the money for that mean WOP WOP WOP sound that you get at lower RPMs....

Anyways I'd try it out and see how you like it...do a BEFORE and AFTER video and see if there is a difference.

Greg,

Thanks so much for the reply!!! Id love to try that,can I ask how much that ran you? Thanks so much!!!

Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan55 View Post
Hey all.

I tried searching, and couldn't find exactly what I was lookin for... So,

I just had a axel back straight pipe flowmasters installed on my V6 2014 2LT. It did make it louder... But it's not enough for me. The mechanic said by deleting the resonator it would step it up a notch.
Is it worth the delete? Will I notice a big diff?

Thanks camaro brothers and sisters!

Quote:
Hey Dan

Greg here!

So long story short (well sort of short if you're okay with reading is that I originally went with Super 44 Flowmaster Mufflers from those super ugly GM Trash Can Mufflers. Huge improvement as far as sound and decibel level/loudness. I still however was not getting it as loud as I wanted it to be so I heard about removing the resonators!

I went back to the shop, had that done and it was a tad bit louder and worth the money to get it done! A lot of people talk about getting an XPIPE by the way, and i'm not interested in that at the moment because i'm not racing. I like HPIPE, and have had as many as three HPIPES installed at once which gave me tons of torque, but too much at one point where I would constantly skid when trying to go...irritating.

The best bang for your buck bolt on is the DOUG THORLEY HEADERS (Shorty's) that I purchased. It took about a day to install but was worth the money for that mean WOP WOP WOP sound that you get at lower RPMs....

Anyways I'd try it out and see how you like it...do a BEFORE and AFTER video and see if there is a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan55 View Post
Greg,

Thanks so much for the reply!!! Id love to try that,can I ask how much that ran you? Thanks so much!!!

Dan55, you will not be able to install short or long tube headers. You have a LFX engine. These do not have exhaust manioflds that can be removed.

You should look to move this thread to the LFX section, you will get more help and response there.

As for the exhaust sound, the Magnaflow resonated X pipe that is so popular, is more used to elimnate the rasp that is so common when installing LT headers, especially when the cats are eliminated. The differance in HP and TQ between the H pipe and the X pipe has never been measured on a dyno and posted on this forum. So how much of a differance they make is mostly by feel. What I can tell you is if you want exotic and loud go with the MRT 1.0 or 2.0 versions of the axle back. These are the most popular set-up going for our V6. I get told daily that mine sounds AWSESOME and BAD ASS. This comes from guys with V8's too. My set-up is listed in my signature. Eliminating the resonators will help some what.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 AM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Hey RT, do you have the Injen Powerflow long-tube intake installed, or the Short Ram? And if you do have the Powerflow, how does it sound compared to a basic aftermarket CAI?

I bought my INJEN longtube 4 years ago. I don't know anything about the "Powerflow".

I LOVE mine.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Dan another option you may want to consider is Solo's high flow cats. They bolt on in place of the factory catalytic converters and allow for more flow with a deeper tone and a bit louder without releasing the rasp in your LFX.

They come with their own resonators, so you could get rid of the little factory ones. I think you'd be very pleased with the result.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote