Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #1751
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
GOSH! guys the actual chance of these cars meeting somewhere to race is very slim because both cars are really rare the only way it could happen is if you have a buddy that has a '13 gt500 and you have a ZL1. And then only about 10 percent of buyers race them. both of these cars are going to be faster than most cars on the street, so basically just get the car you have the most passion for the car you love the most because if little pesky numbers stop you from getting the car YOU love then that is truly PATHETIC. I am done.

I agree, it's time to shut this puppy down and stop all the bashing.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #1752
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
I ran across a dark grey ZL1 on Mother's Day.... Unfortunately, the 2011 GT500 was home in the garage, and I had the fam in the diesel Excursion..

Bastard cut in front of me, then slammed on the brakes to make a U-turn... He was lucky I didn't wear his rear bumper cover as a grille ornament all the way to the beach...
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #1753
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I think you need to get with the times. This is no longer the 1960's and custmers' expectations have chaged a lot. Again, 1/4 mile time do not matter and are not the sole measure of a car's performance. The ZL1 was never made with the intention of dominating the 1/4. There is a COPO Camaro for that. Please get with the times and understand what some are trying to present here. Probably no reason for you to be entering this discussion on your 2nd post here.
You have to understand this. I came from the mustang fanbois land, owned one from 1986-2011. All the mustang crowd cares about is 1/4 mile! Go to any dragstrip and mustangs will outnumber Chevy and Dodge vehicles 10/1. Ford knows this and caters to it, comfort, handling, styling, braking, driveability are non important factors, thus why we have seen the same basic design of the mustang for nearly 8 years. Ford isn't going to loose in the strip battle, they may sacrifice everything else though and their fans love them for this.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #1754
9sec5oh
Account Suspended

Drives: 1989 Mustang LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
To clarify on your numbers a bit....does the $55k including the required $1300 GG tax? And if you add the $1200 auto, your GG tax then doubles to $2600, thus your $5k advantage is down to $2.4k.

Of course, as a drag racer, I don't want ANY of the extras on either car, meaning I'd pay base for either the GT500 or the ZL1. But of course, to each their own.
It's tacked on in the end, but nobody wants to own up to that....
9sec5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #1755
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
to any dragstrip and mustangs will outnumber Chevy and Dodge vehicles 10/1.
I agree with you for the most part except ford out numbering chevy 10/1 at the strip.
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #1756
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
One has to be nuts to think auto cross racing is anywhere near as popular as drag strip racing for the average joe in America.
Who said that? I didn't but it was in response to a quote from me.

Back to my point, focusing on horsepower and ET's to determine any "winner" is one dimensional. People want to know how the car handles that hp on the street (and the track to a lesser extent whether drag strip or road course). Enthusiasts like us make up an extremely small percentage of buyers for the "Big 3" car manufacturors.....but they do make some cars for us.

Again.....if Ford isn't interested in how it's cars do at the track, then why do they make the Boss 302 ...... and sell me a 302R with the intent to win......wait for it.....road races?

In summary, if you want the car with the biggest hp/fastest ET from the factory, then go buy it. But for a contingent of buyers including myself, winning that battle doesn't make that car the "winner" in car selection.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #1757
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
comfort, handling, styling, braking, driveability are non important factors, thus why we have seen the same basic design of the mustang for nearly 8 years.
?? May I ask what year/model you had when you sold in 2011?

Ford has made drastic improvements in comfort (all new interior), handling, braking, steering (electronic) and driveability since it's 2005 debut.

My dad's 2005 Mustang GT drives like a dump truck compared to my friend's 2011 5.0 6-speed, and like an even slower dump truck compared to my 2011 GT500.

I've driven the new SS Camaro. It's not more comfortable (albeit the seats in the Shelby are better than the GT), my Shelby feels lighter and more-nimble/direct through the chassis and steering, and overall driveability it's just a better communicating car. The only thing I'd give the Camaro is a softer/quieter suspension tune, which may be more "refined", but also flunks the fun-o-meter. Not to mention the sitting-in-a-hole feeling.

Anyhow, don't underestimate current-day if you were squirting around in a 2009-earlier model. It's night/day.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #1758
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH

Drives: 2016 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMonte View Post
Same here traded my 010 SS purchased in Aug 2009 for a 012 GT ... I prefer the Mustang despite it's antiquated solid rear axle, small diplacement 5.0 and smooth shifting 6 speed manual trans
"smooth shifting 6 speed manual trans"

I dunno, mine seems pretty notchy.

Where do I get the smooth shifting trans?
2012 IngotSilver 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #1759
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Youre still wrong, the gt500 NEVER goes to Vegas. It is a Ford production vehicle designed by svt and built on the sameassembly line as the other mustangs. You are dead wrong.
Exactly right. The Shelby GT went to Vegas as a Mustang GT with the 4.6 and SHELBY modified it into the SHELBY GT. The SHELBY GT 350 starts as a Mustang 5.0 and gets modified in Vegas into the SHELBY GT 350 and that thing is awesome! The SHELBY GT 500 is produced by FORD's own in -house performance division called SPECIAL VEHICLE TEAM (SVT). Carrol Shelby was consulted when they created the GT 500 back in 2007 and has been right up to the present version - but it is all Ford that builds and tunes it. The only way a GT 500 ever makes it to Vegas is if one sends their's there, or one is purchased and sent, to get it converted to a SHELBY SUPER SNAKE. Anyway - that's it in a nut shell. But honestly, you can't hold it against the GM / Chevy folks for not knowing this stuff. I bet a lot of Ford guys don't know it either...
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #1760
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
Quote:
GOSH! guys the actual chance of these cars meeting somewhere to race is very slim because both cars are really rare the only way it could happen is if you have a buddy that has a '13 gt500 and you have a ZL1. And then only about 10 percent of buyers race them. both of these cars are going to be faster than most cars on the street, so basically just get the car you have the most passion for the car you love the most because if little pesky numbers stop you from getting the car YOU love then that is truly PATHETIC. I am done.
A lot less slim than you think. It depends on where you live and what part of town you frequent. I've already ran into 3 different ZL1's (all with squid drivers) in the Galleria area in Houston.

Like I'm gonna street race my car down the middle of Westheimer or San Filiepe...Will gladly do so at Houston Raceway Park however.
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #1761
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Murrocket View Post

Like I'm gonna street race my car down the middle of Westheimer or San Filiepe...Will gladly do so at Houston Raceway Park however.
I hear you. No street racing for me. How about coming out to MSR sometime when we're running out there? We'll go "track attack" style but without rubbing fenders.

I haven't seen many ZL1's yet. Only at the HTCC events so far.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #1762
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
FYI...these are not "really rare" cars, they are not even "rare". They are mass produced...mass produced doesn't equate to "rare."
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #1763
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
The difference in peformance between a 5.0 and ZL1 is about the same as a ZL1 and a GT500.
but the ZL1 wins vs 5.0 and that makes some of us feel better.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #1764
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
FYI...these are not "really rare" cars, they are not even "rare". They are mass produced...mass produced doesn't equate to "rare."
You kinda took what he meant out of context, compared to normal production of Camaros and Mustangs theses will only be 1%-3% of cars produced.

Other than mine, I have not seen another Z on the road in a county of a million people ...