Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Extended Warranty - How Long After Purchase Can you Add it On?

Got my car about a month ago and have just over 1,000 miles on it.

I originally got the extended warranty, and then after coming on C5 many people said it was a waste to get it at the time of purchase because you are wasting at least a year since it would over lap with the GM 3 year/36K warranty.

My question is, when is it too late to purchase an additional extended warranty? My financing is for 72 months so wondering if I want that extra "Peace of mind" for the remaining 3 years after GM warranty expires how that works?
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I usually get a GMPP (General Motors Protection Plan) letter near the end of my first year of ownership on my cars.

Still, I feel its too soon to be paying $$ for something that's covered (or should be) by the 3/36 month bumper to bumper. Depends on how many miles I'm pushing, how the cars been, and how long I'm thinking about keeping it.
GMPP can be purchased separately (unless something drastic has changed) up until the 3/36 is ended. Maybe even beyond.
I have one in the garage that might get the extended warranty. That car's bumper to bumper is almost up due to age, but only has 12000 miles. Depends on the price GM wants. A lot of stuff can go wrong on a 4 - 5 -6 year old car.
I just had a temp sensor and airbag sensor fixed on it, as well as the seat stuffing coming out on the drivers side. All done for free. If this happened in six months, I'd be looking at a hefty bill. This on a car that is babied and has been driven 12000 miles.
There's a bunch of plans out there. I'm not real keen on the "Private Insurance type that some F&I guys push at paperwork signing.
The last one (on the Camaro) saw the price drop from 3k to 1k in 10 minutes time during its F&I negotiation. I still didn't buy it.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
I usually get a GMPP (General Motors Protection Plan) letter near the end of my first year of ownership on my cars.

Still, I feel its too soon to be paying $$ for something that's covered (or should be) by the 3/36 month bumper to bumper. Depends on how many miles I'm pushing, how the cars been, and how long I'm thinking about keeping it.
GMPP can be purchased separately (unless something drastic has changed) up until the 3/36 is ended. Maybe even beyond.
I have one in the garage that might get the extended warranty. That car's bumper to bumper is almost up due to age, but only has 12000 miles. Depends on the price GM wants. A lot of stuff can go wrong on a 4 - 5 -6 year old car.
I just had a temp sensor and airbag sensor fixed on it, as well as the seat stuffing coming out on the drivers side. All done for free. If this happened in six months, I'd be looking at a hefty bill. This on a car that is babied and has been driven 12000 miles.
There's a bunch of plans out there. I'm not real keen on the "Private Insurance type that some F&I guys push at paperwork signing.
The last one (on the Camaro) saw the price drop from 3k to 1k in 10 minutes time during its F&I negotiation. I still didn't buy it.
This is exactly what happened to me. It was some private party insurance that "is just like the GM one, but better!". I ended up adding it on there, felt very pressured, and wasn't prepared (somewhat my fault) but I ended up leaving and immediately having buyer's remorse and feeling like I just got "had". Plus it increased my payment by about $50/month

So I went back in a few days later and had them remove it (had 60 day clause in the paperwork thank God) and that is pretty much where I am today.

If I get one, I'd rather it be the actual GM one, and wasn't sure if I had to do it by 1 year/12,000 miles or if I could actually add it when I near end of the 3 year 36K GM bumper to bumper

Thanks for your reply!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
Got my car about a month ago and have just over 1,000 miles on it.

I originally got the extended warranty, and then after coming on C5 many people said it was a waste to get it at the time of purchase because you are wasting at least a year since it would over lap with the GM 3 year/36K warranty.

My question is, when is it too late to purchase an additional extended warranty? My financing is for 72 months so wondering if I want that extra "Peace of mind" for the remaining 3 years after GM warranty expires how that works?
Hello 2013BlackLS,

General Motors Protection Plans can be purchased at anytime before the end of the bumper to bumper warranty end date. Hope this helps.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello 2013BlackLS,

General Motors Protection Plans can be purchased at anytime before the end of the bumper to bumper warranty end date. Hope this helps.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Reggie,

Thank you that definitely helps. I wasn't sure -
Old 05-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
Reggie,

Thank you that definitely helps. I wasn't sure -
No problem, glad I could help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Dont forget though the longer you go out on the mileage or time the more it costs. At 35000 miles the extra warranty coverage will cost you more then if you purchased it at say 10000 miles.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Camaro57

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
It is important to realize that the GM extended warranty starts when you purchase it so if you buy a 5 year, 50000 mile warranty after 1 year and 10000 miles on your car you would be covered until 6 years or 60000 miles, if you purchase the same 5 year, 50000 mile warranty shortly before the the car is 3 years old (right before the factory bumper to bumper warranty expires) and has 30000 miles you would be covered until the car was 8 years old or 80000 miles.
Camaro57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro57 View Post
It is important to realize that the GM extended warranty starts when you purchase it so if you buy a 5 year, 50000 mile warranty after 1 year and 10000 miles on your car you would be covered until 6 years or 60000 miles, if you purchase the same 5 year, 50000 mile warranty shortly before the the car is 3 years old (right before the factory bumper to bumper warranty expires) and has 30000 miles you would be covered until the car was 8 years old or 80000 miles.
Wow! That is good to know for sure! That is why everyone says it is a waste to by extended warranty right when you buy the car, just overlapping coverage for no reason.

Damn dealership almost pulled one over on me. I had to go back and remove it after talking to good friends here on C5!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
They typically state that the extended warranty begins when the factory bumper to bumper warranty ends. So it's not "wasted", you are simply delaying when you actually pay for it.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

They made it clear to me that it would overlap after I asked them.. that is why I ended up cancelling it. The warranty they offered was a private party type warranty and started from Day 1 alongside GM.

They claimed GM's "Bumper to bumper" didn't really cover everything and this one would..
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
You can by it anytime during the first 12 months 12000 miles and its considered a new car, after that the rates go up at 13 month point and then again at the next 25 month point. GM Outlet has the break down at each point.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote