Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Did Chevy go far Enough?

After reading most of the Mag articles and the YouTube vids on the new car. I realize there is a common theme being repeated. Did Chevy go far enough on the new design. They had a clean slate to start with, a new platform.
Several years ago they got criticized the C5 to the C6 was a bust because of lack of design change and did not justify the cost to upgrade. I think history just repeated itself here. It is a OK looking car but not as good or striking as the Gen 5 car. Motor, trans, and rear are not revolutionary. The corvette guys are not raving about them. The LT1 has some heat issues and the auto trans has the same heat problem when you get on it. The LS Motors are better but I do not want to go down the emissions road. But I do think the Corvette guys got the better designer and engineering team.
The prices went up to near corvette prices, if there is going to be a ZL1 or Z28 what would those prices look like. As I stated in previous posts I love Camaros, had more than most of you. I just do not get the feeling this is a new car, just a remake in a different scale. Interested in your thoughts, and going to be interested in next years sales numbers. Is it worth getting rid of a great $55,000 car for a good $60,000 car,(I own a ZL1 and will not downgrade) or wait and hope for a great 2017-18 ground breaking redesign.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
After reading most of the Mag articles and the YouTube vids on the new car. I realize there is a common theme being repeated. Did Chevy go far enough on the new design. They had a clean slate to start with, a new platform.
Several years ago they got criticized the C5 to the C6 was a bust because of lack of design change and did not justify the cost to upgrade. I think history just repeated itself here. It is a OK looking car but not as good or striking as the Gen 5 car. Motor, trans, and rear are not revolutionary. The corvette guys are not raving about them. The LT1 has some heat issues and the auto trans has the same heat problem when you get on it. The LS Motors are better but I do not want to go down the emissions road. But I do think the Corvette guys got the better designer and engineering team.
The prices went up to near corvette prices, if there is going to be a ZL1 or Z28 what would those prices look like. As I stated in previous posts I love Camaros, had more than most of you. I just do not get the feeling this is a new car, just a remake in a different scale. Interested in your thoughts, and going to be interested in next years sales numbers. Is it worth getting rid of a great $55,000 car for a good $60,000 car,(I own a ZL1 and will not downgrade) or wait and hope for a great 2017-18 ground breaking redesign.
Could be, time will tell, but from the beginning the stated goal in terms of the looks was that the 6th Gen will be Evolutionary, not revolutionary. So, if history does repeat itself then GM has no excuses, they new what they wanted to do.

Now, do I share your "Meh" opinion - NOPE!

Going with more subtle changes doesn't always backfire - see Porche.

BTW, have you seen one in person?
Old 09-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Well put it this way...I was not a fan of the gen 5...I like the gen 6 a lot. So they changed enough in my eyes to make me do a 100% change in judgement looks wise. They made it more aggressive, and sleeker in just the right way...

Also, remember the gen 5 was a huge seller, and beat the Mustang for like the first time ever. GM wasn't going to mess with a good thing too much.

IMO biggest improvement overall is not even the powertrain, it's the new interior.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Far Enough

All I can say is I totally disagree with you!
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Perhaps the styling is not as remarking as you might want it to be however when you look at the vehicle as a whole as well as the 5th's performance/characteristics; I feel the 6th gen is going to be a hit once it hits the showrooms and folks start racing them.

It IS lighter, faster, no powerful, more tech, etc.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
To each there own. I think they could have pushed the envelop further in certain aspects but I found the Gen 5 SS and below rather ugly. Zl1 improved and the Z28 I really like. The Gen 6 SS in an improvement for sure. But doesn't interest me enough, that's why I'm waiting on the Z's
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
I'm assuming you're aware of all the mechanical changes and this is largely a styling concern. Styling and looks are subjective. If you don't think they went far enough, then they must not have went far enough with styling changes. Personally, I think it looks great. It's an updated design while still looking like the camaro that most people know (the 5th gen).

It basically just comes down to "styling is subjective" and there really isn't a whole lot of discussion that can be had.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
disagress, car is miles better than the fifth, especially the automatic version
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
The base Gen6 starts at $26,695 and the C7 started at $50,995 on introduction, both including the DFC.

In real life one has no trouble distinguishing a Gen5 from a Gen6. The complaint about the C6 exterior styling was that in real life it was difficult to tell the difference when compared to the C5.

I believe the slow sales the C6 experienced in its last three model years is attributed to economic conditions not poor design. If I recall correctly, both first model year sales were around 37,000 each, although the C7 needed more overtime to meet that number due to the slow ramp up at the beginning of production.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I'm definitely going to upgrade my Camaro in late 2016 or early 2017.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Styling wise...I agree, it's a good looking design but I wouldn't call it a fresh, clean slate.

Mechanically and platform wise this car is a huge leap over the 5th Gen.

The C6 got much better in time, so will the 6th Gen Camaro
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
point taken and agree on surface only, but this car so far is miles ahead of 5th gen.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
I have read almost all of the posts on this forum and have to say some people expected a miracle for a camaro. For me I bought one so I will be biased and you guys know what my thoughts are! Waiting patiently and willing to live with the way it is now and change what I want.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
6th gens will send 5th gens crying home to Oshawa so...