Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Really bad water spots...

Jeez, I knew better but due to recent illness I left my car uncovered for a month...Now the hood, top and trunk have terrible water spots that I can't get out with any of the products that I have, McQuire mostly...Trying to get the spots removed by hand not comfortable using buffers...Any advise is appreciated...As a last resort I'll take it to a detail shop...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Try using Mothers California Gold Caranuba Wash and Wax. Dry the car then use the TurtleWax bug remover spray for any hard water spot problem areas. Last use the Surf City Garage -Black Edge Detailer spray for the whole car. I had this problem too and this seems to work for me.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
A complete paint restoration should do the trick. Don't be afraid of using a machine. You will get the best results with a machine. The Porter Cable 7424xp is a good machine and it's almost impossible to damage you paint. Strip your old wax off, clay bar, Some type of swirl & haze remover, then polish and wax. There is a detail guy on youtube. He goes by the name The Junkman. These videos should help you get the result you are looking for. Dark colors are not easy to keep up and require some hard work.
Attached Images

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Use a good paint cleaner, such as meguiars or P21S. The megs will probably be more aggressive and will make short work out of the water spots. Also try 3M brand of swirl mark remover or cleaner polish by hand. If you have an orbital buffer, then the megs or 3m with a polishing pad will do the trick.

I'm recommending the above polishes if you just want to take care of the water spotting and stop short of a full detail. Of course, if you need a full detail then just plan your attack with your array of products, and wait for the set of days to complete it...and go to town.

One last tidbit: I've found that a healthy dose of wax will fight off water spots. I haven't had to deal with water spotting since.........???? Even on my DD. I believe my new DD was well detailed prior to my purchase this year, and so far no water spots on it as well!!!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Have you tried going over them with some distilled white vinegar?

Most all water spots are caused by calcium in the water. Distilled white vinegar is lightly acidic, and will remove calcium deposits that haven't etched into the clear coat.

If they are etched, the only way you'll remove them is polishing.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 06-26-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Check this link out on removing water spots.

http://adamspolishes.com/how-to-remove-water-spots
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Thank you all for your responses...If I use the distilled vinegar will the car need a wash or can I go directly to a wax???Thanks in advance...

This want happen again if I have to crawl outside to put the cover on...lol

Old 06-27-2017, 03:53 AM   #8
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
A complete paint restoration should do the trick. Don't be afraid of using a machine. You will get the best results with a machine. The Porter Cable 7424xp is a good machine and it's almost impossible to damage you paint. Strip your old wax off, clay bar, Some type of swirl & haze remover, then polish and wax. There is a detail guy on youtube. He goes by the name The Junkman. These videos should help you get the result you are looking for. Dark colors are not easy to keep up and require some hard work.
The Junkman knows his stuff...

Old 06-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Thank you all for your responses...If I use the distilled vinegar will the car need a wash or can I go directly to a wax???Thanks in advance...

This want happen again if I have to crawl outside to put the cover on...lol
If it just has garage dust, use a rinseless or waterless wash first. Do just 1 section first, to be sure the vinegar works.

After the vinegar, wipe down area with either distilled water, detail spray, or waterless wash, then apply wax.

Superficial water spots that cam be removed with vinegar look like this. Mineral deposits just sitting on the surface. Generally known as Type 1 water spots.

http://www.carwashgenie.com/images/Type1WaterSpot.jpg

Etched water spots where the spot has gone into the clear coat, these require polishing to remove. Type 2 water spots.

http://www.carwashgenie.com/images/Type2WaterSpot.jpg

It's possible that you could have both types of these on your car.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 06-27-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
This happened to mine last year. Type 2 spots. Vinegar didn't work. No level of Adams worked. Took it by the dealer and they applied 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound to an area and that worked. I bought a bottle and did the rest, by hand. After that I polished, sealed and waxed. No more spots.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #11
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
If it just has garage dust, use a rinseless or waterless wash first. Do just 1 section first, to be sure the vinegar works.

After the vinegar, wipe down area with either distilled water, detail spray, or waterless wash, then apply wax.

Superficial water spots that cam be removed with vinegar look like this. Mineral deposits just sitting on the surface. Generally known as Type 1 water spots.

http://www.carwashgenie.com/images/Type1WaterSpot.jpg

Etched water spots where the spot has gone into the clear coat, these require polishing to remove. Type 2 water spots.

http://www.carwashgenie.com/images/Type2WaterSpot.jpg

It's possible that you could have both types of these on your car.
I have a combination of the two...

Old 06-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #12
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
This happened to mine last year. Type 2 spots. Vinegar didn't work. No level of Adams worked. Took it by the dealer and they applied 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound to an area and that worked. I bought a bottle and did the rest, by hand. After that I polished, sealed and waxed. No more spots.
Thanks this looks like the option I may have to take...

Old 06-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #13
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Thanks for all the info gents...I really appreciate it...

Old 06-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #14
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
3M Finishing Glaze is used after compound to take out the slight scratches the compound makes. It's more aggressive than a cleaner wax but less aggressive than compound. I would use that first with a foam pad on a buffer or polisher. Foam pads will not burn clear coat. Try a small area first.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote