Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
Bigalamo

Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
Security Theft Deterrent Causing No Start

Hello, I have an automatic 2011 LS Camaro. I just recently fixed a communication issue with the ECM by switching a blown fuse. It took me quite some time to figure it out, as I just now got back from military deployment of 12 months. The car had shown a few codes because of a dead, old battery. Once I replaced it, and cleared the codes, everything checked good. Now the only issue that is stopping the vehicle from starting is “Service Security Deterrent”. I had tried the relearn procedure that has been posted somewhere, but the security light never turns off after 10 minutes. I’m currently stationed overseas and do not have access to a dealership. This is the original key and it can be used to unlock and lock the door, as well as the key fob. Any help is welcome.
Bigalamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
My 2010 Shop Manual says:

"The theft detergent module only acts as an exciter and antenna, energizing the key transponder and receiving the key code information. Because the immobilizer software is contained in the BCM, the theft deterrent module requires no programming or setup after replacement."

I realize this doesn't directly answer your question, but it suggests that replacing and/or reprogramming the BCM might be necessary.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Bigalamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
My 2010 Shop Manual says:

"The theft detergent module only acts as an exciter and antenna, energizing the key transponder and receiving the key code information. Because the immobilizer software is contained in the BCM, the theft deterrent module requires no programming or setup after replacement."

I realize this doesn't directly answer your question, but it suggests that replacing and/or reprogramming the BCM might be necessary.
Thanks for your reply. I don’t think that may be the issue, because this is most likely caused by the battery being dead for so long... but I’ll keep that in mind. I’m going to see if it will recognize the spare key, once I find it.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
Provy

Drives: 13 ZL1
I had the Anti theft system go bad on a GMC pickup, and I used HP Tuners to disable it. Never had an issue after that. If you have HP Tuners it is literally a 30 second procedure, and since you are overseas you could get HP Tuners sent to you. May be a viable option.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
Bigalamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provy View Post
I had the Anti theft system go bad on a GMC pickup, and I used HP Tuners to disable it. Never had an issue after that. If you have HP Tuners it is literally a 30 second procedure, and since you are overseas you could get HP Tuners sent to you. May be a viable option.
I have seen mentions of this product before and have heard great things. For something like disabling this feature, would the MPVI2 be used?
Old 03-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #6
Provy

Drives: 13 ZL1
yes

Tags
deterrent, ecm, no start, security, theft