Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Elite E2-X Catch Can

Recently purchased a new Elite Engineering E2-X kit, this kit also includes the "clean air side modification.

Kit came with 3 ports, center one is for the dirty side of the PCV, while one of the two side ones is for the clean side. Not knowing where in God's name I could put the second clean exit ports I removed the elbow and blocked it off for now.

The install was quite easy, as soon as it warms up I will install the clean air side.

Hoping someone here knows where to put the exit port that I have blocked off. My LFX V6 is stock.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I will add some pictures so you can see what I have done.

Larry

Name:  Catch Can 2.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  424.5 KB

Name:  Catch Can 3.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  437.2 KB
Old 12-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
You've configured it like the original E2 catch can. BTW, the clean side port is on the other side of the engine.

The driver's side valve cover has a 90* tube coming out near the firewall that you plug. Then, you attach the clean side billet cap where the oil filler cap used to go. A hose goes from the clean side billet cap to the fitting on the stock air tube in between the MAF and the TB.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Larry,

Let me know how the catch is working for you when you empty the can.

Thanks

Sharpie
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
Larry,

Let me know how the catch is working for you when you empty the can.

Thanks

Sharpie
Will do my friend!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'm sorry this is off-topic but I REALLY like German Sheppard's and never can get past your posts without admiring this one.

....oh and this catch can is nice too...
Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
You've configured it like the original E2 catch can. BTW, the clean side port is on the other side of the engine.

The driver's side valve cover has a 90* tube coming out near the firewall that you plug. Then, you attach the clean side billet cap where the oil filler cap used to go. A hose goes from the clean side billet cap to the fitting on the stock air tube in between the MAF and the TB.
Gringo, help me out here if you would please, being I am new to this style setup.

Your first comment was that I configured it like the original E2 catch can, from what I could learn from Elite's online directions this is the way to do it. At least for one exit port.

Then you go onto explain "The driver's side valve cover has a 90 degree tube coming out near the firewall that you plug". What is the purpose of plugging that tube? Remember I have a 2014 if that helps.

I ask because the directions that Elite has online does not show plugging anything near the firewall on the driver's side?

My only complaint is the directions/Video for the install of the GEN5 V6 that they display is using a vehicle that was already half done and has been modified so you don't see where things should go for a stock setup? As far as the clean side goes he shows the new cap being installed but shows NOTHING regarding the line or plugs for a stock unit?

Love the setup just need to ensure I have everything installed correctly.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'm sorry this is off-topic but I REALLY like German Sheppard's and never can get past your posts without admiring this one.

....oh and this catch can is nice too...
Thank you so very much for the most wonderful comment regarding Apollo. Apollo was my third Shepherd and one of the greatest working K9's I had ever seen. He worked the streets for nearly 9 years before retiring. He was certified in Officer protection, tracking, article searches, building searches, narcotics detection, marijuana, hash, coke, crack, heroin as well as other goodies.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
Deputy347k9

Regarding the installation of the "Elite Clean Side Separator", their directions are for the 2016.

Does anyone know if this will even work on a 2014?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
Gringo, help me out here if you would please, being I am new to this style setup.

Your first comment was that I configured it like the original E2 catch can, from what I could learn from Elite's online directions this is the way to do it. At least for one exit port.

Then you go onto explain "The driver's side valve cover has a 90 degree tube coming out near the firewall that you plug". What is the purpose of plugging that tube? Remember I have a 2014 if that helps.

I ask because the directions that Elite has online does not show plugging anything near the firewall on the driver's side?

My only complaint is the directions/Video for the install of the GEN5 V6 that they display is using a vehicle that was already half done and has been modified so you don't see where things should go for a stock setup? As far as the clean side goes he shows the new cap being installed but shows NOTHING regarding the line or plugs for a stock unit?

Love the setup just need to ensure I have everything installed correctly.
I have a 2015 so it should be the same.

There is a factory clean-side suction hose that goes from a 90* fitting on the drivers-side valve cover to the air intake tube. When you purchase the clean side oil separator billet cap from Elite, you will disconnect this factory suction hose.

The factory hose goes from the fitting on the valve cover to the air intake tube. After you disconnect it, you can remove it from the engine. It basically just lays on top of the valve cover.

The Elite clean side separator will be a billet canister type cap that replaces the factory oil fill cap in the valve cover. There is a hose that connects from that to the fitting on the air intake tube.

The 90* elbow fitting on the valve cover near the firewall will now be exposed. You will want to plug it with a rubber cap and a spring clamp over it to keep it from coming off. That's how I did mine.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
Deputy347k9

Quote:

There is a factory clean-side suction hose that goes from a 90* fitting on the drivers-side valve cover to the air intake tube. When you purchase the clean side oil separator billet cap from Elite, you will disconnect this factory suction hose.

The factory hose goes from the fitting on the valve cover to the air intake tube. After you disconnect it, you can remove it from the engine. It basically just lays on top of the valve cover.

The Elite clean side separator will be a billet canister type cap that replaces the factory oil fill cap in the valve cover. There is a hose that connects from that to the fitting on the air intake tube.

The 90* elbow fitting on the valve cover near the firewall will now be exposed. You will want to plug it with a rubber cap and a spring clamp over it to keep it from coming off. That's how I did mine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just printed off your above directions and will take a look at mine. Larry
Old 12-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Thank you so very much for the most wonderful comment regarding Apollo. Apollo was my third Shepherd and one of the greatest working K9's I had ever seen. He worked the streets for nearly 9 years before retiring. He was certified in Officer protection, tracking, article searches, building searches, narcotics detection, marijuana, hash, coke, crack, heroin as well as other goodies.
That is so awesome, I hope there are plenty of Apollo offspring to carry on his lines. He is beautiful. They are the smartest dogs ever and no doubt Apollo is just a regular member of your family.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #12
Deputy347k9

Quote:

Gringo: With your wonderful directions I went out to the garage, took my time, and completed the "clean air side", looks tremendous.

Steve from Elite Engineering sent me an email regarding using the second clean side port on the catch can; he wrote:

Pictures look great. The second outlet port of the Catch Can, goes to the intake coupler just upstream of the throttle body. This area has the most evacuation suction present during acceleration and WOT, the clean side unit (CSS) must connect to a barb that is closer to the MAF that the throttle body as the suction there is less than just in front of the throttle body. This is due to the dispersion from the main air filter. So, CSS to just downstream of the MAF a few inches, the can second outlet right in front (upstream) of the throttle body.

I am wondering if anyone has actually done this and if so would they be so kind as to post a picture or tow of the final look. I really appreciate Steve helping but I am very visual, if I can see a picture of where they actually installed the 2nd port I will be home free!

Larry
Old 12-11-2017, 03:21 AM   #13
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Gringo: With your wonderful directions I went out to the garage, took my time, and completed the "clean air side", looks tremendous.

Steve from Elite Engineering sent me an email regarding using the second clean side port on the catch can; he wrote:

Pictures look great. The second outlet port of the Catch Can, goes to the intake coupler just upstream of the throttle body. This area has the most evacuation suction present during acceleration and WOT, the clean side unit (CSS) must connect to a barb that is closer to the MAF that the throttle body as the suction there is less than just in front of the throttle body. This is due to the dispersion from the main air filter. So, CSS to just downstream of the MAF a few inches, the can second outlet right in front (upstream) of the throttle body.

I am wondering if anyone has actually done this and if so would they be so kind as to post a picture or tow of the final look. I really appreciate Steve helping but I am very visual, if I can see a picture of where they actually installed the 2nd port I will be home free!

Larry

This is why I wasn't too motivated to install the newer E2X catch can. That secondary suction source has to be tapped into the intake tube in front of the TB. You have to drill a hole in the stock plastic air intake tube for the fitting where the hose connects.

The problem with that senario is that if you ever need to take it in for warranty work, the dealer may void it due to the modification. I guess you can buy another stock air intake tube or an aftermarket CAI setup and just drill that. Then, just save the stock air intake tube just in case you need to bring it in for something.

Or, you can just keep the second port plugged up like you originally did. Unless you're running boost, I don't really think that second port will be all that helpful. As long as you have the dirty side hooked up and the clean side separator installed, you should be fine.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:54 AM   #14
Deputy347k9

Quote:
This is why I wasn't too motivated to install the newer E2X catch can. That secondary suction source has to be tapped into the intake tube in front of the TB. You have to drill a hole in the stock plastic air intake tube for the fitting where the hose connects.

The problem with that senario is that if you ever need to take it in for warranty work, the dealer may void it due to the modification. I guess you can buy another stock air intake tube or an aftermarket CAI setup and just drill that. Then, just save the stock air intake tube just in case you need to bring it in for something.

Or, you can just keep the second port plugged up like you originally did. Unless you're running boost, I don't really think that second port will be all that helpful. As long as you have the dirty side hooked up and the clean side separator installed, you should be fine.
Steve and I swapped emails last evening and I now know what to do, exactly what you just said! The hose that I removed, the one that goes along the driver's valve cover, when installing the clean side separator I wrapped and put in storage. I might look for another air box and do the same. But for now I believe I am far better off than I was without the E2-X system.

You have been a big help and I want to than you very much for the wonderful advise.

Larry