Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #267
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
10. Differential Upgrade / Swap. We go to the ZL1 differential because it is stronger in case and in function. It will put power down in the tuns, better than the 1LE. It also is designed for a cooler, but you'll plumb your to a rear mounted cooler (no extra weight up front). We want the 1LE gears so that means we swap between the two units. There is a bit more involved, but you get the idea..
I found for my driving style this is the biggest problem I have at stock power levels...The rear diff "opens/slips" and I will blaze the inside tire on corner exit. I have been told my "the man" that this is common only in 10/10ths driving situations in the 1LE.

I chose not to use the Zl1 set-up as I dont want to add the weight penalty to the car (It is a heavy assy) and I don't plan on anything more than bolt-ons down the road (maybe 500whp) and drag racing will be limited. I am following the Z/28 lead (torson diff) but my timing doesnt allow me to wait for it to become available through the dealers so I am going with an Eaton Detroit Trutrac (mechanical similar/same style) over the winter.

-Matt
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #268
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I found for my driving style this is the biggest problem I have at stock power levels...The rear diff "opens/slips" and I will blaze the inside tire on corner exit. I have been told my "the man" that this is common only in 10/10ths driving situations in the 1LE.

I chose not to use the Zl1 set-up as I dont want to add the weight penalty to the car (It is a heavy assy) and I don't plan on anything more than bolt-ons down the road (maybe 500whp) and drag racing will be limited. I am following the Z/28 lead (torson diff) but my timing doesnt allow me to wait for it to become available through the dealers so I am going with an Eaton Detroit Trutrac (mechanical similar/same style) over the winter.

-Matt
I like your choices.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #269
Exigent

Drives: 2003 Porsche 996tt
Has anyone tried to really get weight out of the car? Removing rear seats, etc? Seems like there is some extra weight hat could be removed without just gutting the car.
Exigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #270
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quick question as my 5 min search came up empty. Regarding autox, what clase is a bone stock 1le in? What tires are people running to be competative? I have been out of the the autox scene for at least 4-5 years now. :(
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #271
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
With some mods, a 1LE leaves a wide range of cars looking at Chevy tail lights. Here is what I would do with a 1LE.

1. Permagrin Package, 32mm rear sway, sub-frame and radius bushes.
2. Oil Cooler, a Fluidyne with -12 lines.
3. SRF Brake Fluid
4. Cobalt Friction Pads XR1 up front and XR3 in the rear.
5. Front Brake Ducts
6. Five Point Harness and a Hoop with a Removable Cross Bar

These six steps transform the 1LE from a very good daily driver / HPDE car to a very good daily driver and very good track car. If you want to run at the front of the pack we do just a bit more.

7. Heads, Cam Headers, we want 500 RWHP, but no more than 650.
8. Supercars and a handful of rear bushings.
9. AccuSump for some engine protection.
10. Differential Upgrade / Swap. We go to the ZL1 differential because it is stronger in case and in function. It will put power down in the tuns, better than the 1LE. It also is designed for a cooler, but you'll plumb your to a rear mounted cooler (no extra weight up front). We want the 1LE gears so that means we swap between the two units. There is a bit more involved, but you get the idea.
JusticePete posted this back in October 2013. I am curious about number 8 on the list. "Supercars and a handful of rear bushings".

Does anyone have any idea what additional bushings in the rear besides the cradle/sub-frame bushings in the Permagrin Package, he is talking about?

I'm looking to upgrade my 1LE, but don't want to drop cash to replace bushings on my 1LE that are good from the factory.

Thanks for any input.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #272
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
JusticePete posted this back in October 2013. I am curious about number 8 on the list. "Supercars and a handful of rear bushings".

Does anyone have any idea what additional bushings in the rear besides the cradle/sub-frame bushings in the Permagrin Package, he is talking about?

I'm looking to upgrade my 1LE, but don't want to drop cash to replace bushings on my 1LE that are good from the factory.

Thanks for any input.
Pretty sure the only ones of major concern are the ones in the Permagrin package.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #273
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Novie LE,
FS for a stock SS or SS/1LE. Looks like 140 treadwear tires this year and 200 for 2015. Theres not a lot of options in 20" sizes. I've been looking to get back into autox as well but want to stay in a stock, now called street, class. I kinda/sorta wish I had went with a 1LE to begin with but dont mind my choice. It was either a 1LE 1SS with few options or a 2SS non 1LE. Since its mostly cruise/enjoyment I went 2SS. If I get serious I may look at a 1LE next year once we see what the next gen camaro offers. If its on par with the new mustang I suspect it'll be classed higher than the current FS cars since the new stangs target is the Boss LS which is classed higher.
That, or they put the new stang and 6th gen camaro in FS and make all previous cars obsolete. I know thats a lot more info than you asked for, I'm just thinking out loud.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #274
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Any other input on Justice Pete's post from October about rear bushings to replace on a 1LE?
Remember we're talking a 1LE here, not an early SS.
What rear bushings besides the rear subframe need replacement to bring the 1LE to a pack leading track car and still be able to be driven to cruise nights, shows and back and forth to the track (Watkins Glen is a couple of hours away).
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #275
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
After discussing with JDP, I'm swapping rear trailing arm, bushings both ends, sway bar with bushings, upper control arm bushings, solid sub frame bushings. I'm sticking with the OEM rear ZL1 tie rod for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
Any other input on Justice Pete's post from October about rear bushings to replace on a 1LE?
Remember we're talking a 1LE here, not an early SS.
What rear bushings besides the rear subframe need replacement to bring the 1LE to a pack leading track car and still be able to be driven to cruise nights, shows and back and forth to the track (Watkins Glen is a couple of hours away).
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #276
Bryan1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE Black
A little late to the party here, but I thought I'd mention that I am #9 on Pete's C5Fest autocross list with my bone stock 1LE.
Name:  C5Fest Cropped.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  178.3 KB

I have been very impressed with how good the 1LE is out of the box, and JusticePete's list is full of great ideas for improvement.

After the C5Fest, I did a couple of road course events and more autocrosses. Before going to the road course, I added front brake ducts, stainless brake lines, racing brake fluid, and Hawk racing brake pads. I highly recommend more aggressive pads for any competitive driving (autox or road course). The increased bite really helps to get the decel rate up quickly, and for a road course the higher temp capability is a good safety factor. Even for autocross, the added bite really helped, and I had less trouble with the ABS (still occasionally get ice mode, but at C5Fest with stock pads it was really slowing me down).

Overall the handling of the car has been great, and I've been very impressed with the Goodyears (especially on a road course, they're not ideal for autox because they need to be hot to really stick).

For 2014 I'm going to step it up a notch to try to get closer to the front of the pack at the muscle car and USCA events. I'm upgrading to a full Detroit Speed/JRi suspension package, LG Super Pro headers, CAI, wheels/tires TBD (probably BFG Rivals), other power mods TBD (cam at a minimum).

I don't have anything to add about the bushings yet, until I get some experience with them myself. JusticePete and JDP know what they're doing, so listening to them is a good idea...
Bryan1LE is offline   Reply With Quote