Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Roof Ditch Color

I think GM should just paint the roof ditch trim the same color as the car. No need to buy the RS package just for this.

Last edited by King Mouse; 02-26-2009 at 09:59 AM.
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
69 rs/ss

Drives: 1969 rs/ss & 2010 L99 #3747 4/28/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mouse View Post
I think GM should just paint the roof ditch the same color as the car. No need to buy the RS package just for this.
I agree
69 rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
me too
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
then don't get the RS package and paint it yourself.

The RS package needs to have as much visual appeal as possible for people to want it, but at the same time not have it look WAY different than a normal SS.

I think they did a great job with it.
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Quote:
I think GM should just paint the roof ditch trim the same color as the car. No need to buy the RS package just for this.
Ditto.
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I agree. It seems like the RS package was lacking, so they downgraded what would normally be standard painted roof ditch moldings to black, just so they could beef up the RS package. There are a ton of other improvements they could offer with the RS instead. Oh and while they're at it, the shark fin should be painted too.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
There's a lot of cars out there that the roof ditch isn't painted. I don't think it's unreasonable for it to be in an option package. That being said I still wish it was standard since I most likely won't get the RS package.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
And I think GM should give the car to us for free instead of charging such a reasonable price......

Personaly I like the fact that they offer the option instead of just having them all be black. I don't mind paying the small amount they are asking

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
$1200+ is not a small amount. Yes that includes other stuff, but to pay that much money to get something that came standard on my Cobalt LS just isn't right. Then the rest of the package is darker taillights, darker wheels, and of course the HIDs. So essentially you're paying $1200 for HIDs because the darker taillights don't cost more than the normal ones to make and the RS wheels cost no more (ok maybe some but not much more) than the SS wheels. It just isn't a very good value with only one feature being really compelling if you get the SS.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The value is there. Those HIDs aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

The 'need' to have the package may not be....

But, similarly...if they tacked on more pricey changes to the exterior...I dunno...new front end, etc. And priced it at $2,000 for the SS...a helluva lot less people would get it, I think. And then you'd have pissed off people becase they couldn't get their HID + Halos outside of that package.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
$1200+ is not a small amount. Yes that includes other stuff, but to pay that much money to get something that came standard on my Cobalt LS just isn't right. Then the rest of the package is darker taillights, darker wheels, and of course the HIDs. So essentially you're paying $1200 for HIDs because the darker taillights don't cost more than the normal ones to make and the RS wheels cost no more (ok maybe some but not much more) than the SS wheels. It just isn't a very good value with only one feature being really compelling if you get the SS.
If you look at the RS packages from day one (1967), you'll find that the 5th gen RS pricing is not bad. The important thing was to offer a clearly distinctive appearance package and they did that as far as the front and top of the car is concerned. They should have built those darn after burner tail lights and had them as part of the RS package. BTW - remember the 1978 RS Camaro? 2 tone paint and a wide pinstripe. Woop-ti-doo!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
King Mouse

Making them black is an unnecessary downgrade. It is like keeping a bumper in primer grey. If you want the headlights, fine, have at it but pretty please with sugar on top.....paint the whole car.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Making them black is an unnecessary downgrade. It is like keeping a bumper in primer grey. If you want the headlights, fine, have at it but pretty please with sugar on top.....paint the whole car.
its not a downgrade at all, its not like the roof ditch is installed before the body goes to paint. they have to have different ditch mouldings that cost alot more. IF they had included it, people would complain that they didnt want to pay the extra and it should have been an option.

tl;dr then dont buy the rs and paint them yourself. and stop whinging on about it

Last edited by headpunter; 03-22-2009 at 11:41 AM.
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
King Mouse

No whining man...Just my .02 in an online discussion. I didn't get the RS and I will paint the molding myself but it shouldn't be an option. It should be painted.