Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
got some emblems and some questions

I got some emblems for the side of my car, but they have posts on them. The posts are metal, so what can I use to cut them off? Also, I'll need some liquid metal or similar type stuff to make the back flat for some molding tape. What should I use for that and where can I get it?

Thanks for any help and replies.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Dremel to cut the posts off.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Cool thanks. I don't have one so I'll have to buy one or find someone to borrow it from.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Cool thanks. I don't have one so I'll have to buy one or find someone to borrow it from.
Buy one. A Dremel tool is used for MANY different things are very good to have.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
I got some emblems for the side of my car, but they have posts on them. The posts are metal, so what can I use to cut them off? Also, I'll need some liquid metal or similar type stuff to make the back flat for some molding tape. What should I use for that and where can I get it?

Thanks for any help and replies.
I used a 2 part epoxy paste (marine) to fill my cross flags after removing the posts with my Dremel. The paste is like a putty and remains workable for 30 minutes, so I had plenty of time to fill and level both pieces. After it cured I shot the paste side with "Bulldog" paint adhesive so the 3M mounting tape stuck real well.
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwyFlyer View Post
I used a 2 part epoxy paste (marine) to fill my cross flags after removing the posts with my Dremel. The paste is like a putty and remains workable for 30 minutes, so I had plenty of time to fill and level both pieces. After it cured I shot the paste side with "Bulldog" paint adhesive so the 3M mounting tape stuck real well.
okay cool, I'll look into that. I bought some molding tape at Pep Boys, wasn't 3m, but seemed like the right stuff for the job and I think it'll be okay. I looked for 3m but they didn't have any.

I got the V Flags from the '60s camaros...did you cut the 3m tape in small pieces and cover the whole back? or just put a couple strips on the back?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
FwyFlyer

Quote:
okay cool, I'll look into that. I bought some molding tape at Pep Boys, wasn't 3m, but seemed like the right stuff for the job and I think it'll be okay. I looked for 3m but they didn't have any.

I got the V Flags from the '60s camaros...did you cut the 3m tape in small pieces and cover the whole back? or just put a couple strips on the back?
I covered the whole back. I have a roll of 1" and .5". I overlapped the emblems and cut the excess off with utility knife.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

alright, sounds good...i'll give that a shot. where did you pick up the epoxy paste? somewhere like home depot?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
FwyFlyer

Quote:
alright, sounds good...i'll give that a shot. where did you pick up the epoxy paste? somewhere like home depot?
I got it at Ace Hardware. I think I saw it a Lowe's also. I didn't check Home Depot.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
You can also use liquid metal and wait for it to dry a few days. Not fast acting so if you mess up somehow, you have time to play with. You don't need a dremel tool either. I used a pain old metal hack saw blade to cut off the posts and then filed down the little rough edges. Use 3M auto tape because it will hold up in the weather, but make sure the temp is warm for at least 24 hrs or the tape might not hold as well. Just a FYI some don't realize.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
moulding tape from Pep Boys and not the 3M kind? Oh oh, been there done that. Save it for other use and go to Home Depot or Lowes and get you some Heavy Duty 3M double-sided tape.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote