Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking Anybody miss old school rear drive wagons?

I was crusing the 'Bay and i found a nice clean and straight late 80s Chevy Caprice wagon. My dad had 3 of these wagons from that generation (78-90).

79 Pontiac Bonneville Safari wagon, the car had VINYL seats and NO AC. my dad and mom loved this car as if me and my 7 year younger brother ever spilled anything we could just hose it out

1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic wagon this was my dad's second one and the newest had the coldest AC we ever had in a car to date. and with a throttlebody injected 305 V8 it was plenty powerfull too. we took many trips from NY to Daytona FL in this car.

84 Buick LaSabere wagon, this one was my favorite. my dad bought it from a buddy of ours who had a body shop. it was clipped in the front and was missing the front fascia and lights/grille etc and had damaged hood and front fenders but otherwise intact and it started and ran and all the stuff worked. my dad picked up a beat up but rust free LeSabere sedan for a few hundred bucks and me and him with socket wrenches and screwdrivers pulled the front clip off and had it attached to the wagon. and the body guy repainted the front clip (dark red/silver 2 tone which looked bad ass on this car) and we put the Buick Regal T-Type looking rims/tires on the car too. the reason why this car was my favorite it was the only one of the 3 that had the rear facing fold away rear seat. and unlike all GM cars of the era that had slider controls for the climate control this car had a smooth membrane covered pad that had LEDs in the 'buttons', think the face of a calculator watch the ones with no buttons.

this is the style we had, my dad was gonna get the revised body style (91-96) but he did not like the styling mostly the half rear wheel wells and the fact that the rear glass swung up instead of retracting into the tailgate. but now he would not mind one as the more aero bodied wagons get better MPG than most if not all full size rear drive V8 powered SUVs. to this day when I see one of those old RWD GM wagons i .
Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
All's I have to say is I'm glad the crossover market has relieved us of those monstrosities.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Wagons are the best. They hold just as much (if not more) than a crossover but are more fuel efficient. Our old 92 Taurus wagon fit a couch, table, 4 chairs and cushions from Ikea, seats 7, and gets high 20s MPG combined with the V6.

I'm not so much for RWD wagons. Really for a wagon you need ease of driving and maximum space efficiency, so I think FWD is the way to go there. Oh if they made a wagon for the new Malibu I would be all over that for our second car.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Nothing like taking a family vacation in the wagon as a kid... toured the US for six weeks. lots of fun.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
That's funny Mcfly. I was doing just that yesterday. Had a couple of buddies who had station wagon hand-me-downs in our high school days. PARTY ON WHEELS!!! Every now and then you see a cool looking hot rodded wagon. Just thinking yesterday that an old wagon like my families fixed up with some nice wheels would be pretty cool.
Picture of one like ours below, except it was blue inside and out and had a 400 engine.

Mike L.

P.S. Are we there yet?
Attached Images

MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Everyone loves the family truckster.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Wagons are the best. They hold just as much (if not more) than a crossover but are more fuel efficient. Our old 92 Taurus wagon fit a couch, table, 4 chairs and cushions from Ikea, seats 7, and gets high 20s MPG combined with the V6.

I'm not so much for RWD wagons. Really for a wagon you need ease of driving and maximum space efficiency, so I think FWD is the way to go there. Oh if they made a wagon for the new Malibu I would be all over that for our second car.
It's not that wagons aren't up to par with space, etc...It's just that I find them extremely ugly...and that's saying something because I passionately hate the look of most SUV's too.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
My wife currently drives a Malibu Maxx and i really like it. It has tons of interior room and four adults can sit comfortably. I am not sure what we are going to do when it needs to get traded because i love the new Malibu but the wagon is just to handy.

On the way home from work someone is selling a Caprice Wagon but i can't convince my wife to sto pand look at it.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

yup I love em, the one wagon i would not mid at all is the 78-84 Chevrolet Malibu wagons.

they had full frame and came in V6 or V8 levels. I liked them because the styling mainly the back was cool, they put the taillights in the back bumper (same back bumper as the elcamino of that generation). take one of them, remove the roof rack, put some nice wheels and a good paint job and you have a pretty sweet cruiser.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Magnum... catered to the market.... and was terminated because there is no market. You can get just as much into a well designed crossover or suv.

The wagon is dead until there is a market for it.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
man i loved 66-67 nova wagons....
Old 10-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
I love wagons. Early-70s Vista Cruisers are probably my favorites.

When I was in college, I almost bought an 80's Caprice wagon like the one pictured in the OP, except with the wood paneling. It was a great driving car, and I would have bought it if it didn't have a complete electrical failure during the test-drive
Old 10-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
z28collection
waiting for 5th gen

Drives: 99 z28 6 speed, 81 z28 auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncertime View Post
Everyone loves the family truckster.

you think you hate it now, wait till you drive it.

http://www.myspace.com/ashleyjfowlkes
z28collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
man i loved 66-67 nova wagons....
Love them old Novas, my first car was a '62 two door hardtop all original. I wish I still had that car.