Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #85
Cmitopgun

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low RS View Post
I finally got around to installing my scoop, here are some pics. I went with the rain tray, had to do a little mod but very little. still need to dress the bolts but I think it came out pretty good.
Looks great! So, did you just drill new holes through the rain deflector and use longer bolts to go from the vent through to the rain deflector?

ZL1 Front Fascia, Rockers, & Diffuser, LED DRLs and Fogs, 1LT/RS badges from EmblemPros, CAI Intake, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers and Cat-Back Dual Tip Exhaust, IPF Tune, TF3 style stripe kit, Black OEM high wing spoiler, trunk lid blackout stripe, Nitto Motivo tires, 20" Niche rims, and more to come!
Cmitopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #86
Jerry7297

Drives: 2018 2SS/ 1LE
Quote:
I finally got around to installing my scoop, here are some pics. I went with the rain tray, had to do a little mod but very little. still need to dress the bolts but I think it came out pretty good.
Looks great man. Can you post some pics with out your hood liner installed? Also please explain the mounting of the Rain deflector. How do the bolts reach all the way to the tray?

Also what is the GM part number for the tray?

I may purchase the tray also and rearrange the DIY.... at least put up both options. With and with out. Awesome job
Jerry7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #87
Low RS

Drives: 2010 ''RS1'' my own package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmitopgun View Post
Looks great! So, did you just drill new holes through the rain deflector and use longer bolts to go from the vent through to the rain deflector?
yes, I took out the studs that come in the scoop and used 1 3/4 long in the middle and 2 inch in the front. then drill the rain guard(it is nice and ridged and will sandwich the hood nice) there is a vertical edge on each side of the tray that you have to sand off so it goes flush to the hoods inner structure. then you drill the lip of the tray so the hood liner retainers will go back in.
2010 1LT A6, Hurst shifter and handle, 3pc rear spoiler, streetscene splitter, ss front end with ZL1 grill, ABL , footwell and cup holder lighting, ss cat back exhaust, Eibach lowering springs, custom engine cover, 4pk gauges, speedhut A pilliar pod and gauges, metra kit and kenwood stereo, 2014 ss hood scoop with stock rain tray, 3D Carbon fender vents, rear lighted bowtie, and ultra gauge.
Low RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #88
Low RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry7297 View Post
Looks great man. Can you post some pics with out your hood liner installed? Also please explain the mounting of the Rain deflector. How do the bolts reach all the way to the tray?

Also what is the GM part number for the tray?

I may purchase the tray also and rearrange the DIY.... at least put up both options. With and with out. Awesome job
I don't have any without the liner but it is the same way they did this one
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347011

part number is 23180572
2010 1LT A6, Hurst shifter and handle, 3pc rear spoiler, streetscene splitter, ss front end with ZL1 grill, ABL , footwell and cup holder lighting, ss cat back exhaust, Eibach lowering springs, custom engine cover, 4pk gauges, speedhut A pilliar pod and gauges, metra kit and kenwood stereo, 2014 ss hood scoop with stock rain tray, 3D Carbon fender vents, rear lighted bowtie, and ultra gauge.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #89
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Will a 14 hood with extractor fit a 10-13???
olblue75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #90
Low RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Will a 14 hood with extractor fit a 10-13???
im pretty sure they are the same
Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #91
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
But isn't the cowl or something wider??
olblue75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #92
Low RS

yea but the shape is the same, so it should bolt right up, I thought about going that route but there is nothing like doing it yourself, you can just stand back and look at it,,,,,,

Last edited by Low RS; 03-29-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #93
Jerry7297

Quote:
yea but the shape is the same, so it should bolt right up, I thought about going that route but there is nothing like doing it yourself, you can just stand back and look at it,,,,,,
+1 Pretty sure they will fit all the years and You feel awesome when you are done and there is still money in your pocket and you See how bad A$$ your car looks. I think this is a Excellent function and visual mod.

Everyone who has completed this looks great IMO.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 AM   #94
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
i saw that. but its not sealed on the sides like the 2014 hood. u see how there are no fasteners. im sure its better then nothing so it looks like it will work though
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #95
Low RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
i saw that. but its not sealed on the sides like the 2014 hood. u see how there are no fasteners. im sure its better then nothing so it looks like it will work though
Mine sealed down fine. The rain tray is very ridged and pulls it all together very well.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #96
Jerry7297

Quote:
Mine sealed down fine. The rain tray is very ridged and pulls it all together very well.

I agree, and it looks nice. The only problem I have with that design is the front to the extractor seems to be not tight. I added 2 short pieces of aluminum to help hold down the front of mine and that did the trick. Before I could lift up on the extractor VERY similar to the front of the extractor on a 2014 OEM hood. Go to a dealer and push on the front of the extractor it flexes easily, note in the 2014 it is recessed and it is not a big deal. For 2010-2013 installs to me it is a big deal. I want the front of mine tight... Sitting still it is secure but think about the wind at 80mph.

I think the ideal way would be to use the OEM deflector and add the 2 small pieces of aluminum to the front 2 all threads and that would solve the problem.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #97
Low RS

use of the rain tray

this part of the tray holds the front down very good.
Name:  securedownload22.jpg
Views: 2868
Size:  87.1 KB

this is where the vertical edge was that had to be ground off to fit up tight to the inner structure. it is about 1'' tall
Name:  securedownload21.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  securedownload23.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  94.8 KB

Last edited by Low RS; 03-31-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #98
Jerry7297

Dude excellent explanation. That does look like it would hold it down real secure. Thank you for the clarification.

What do you think about if the measurement from the wind shield was a couple of inches shorter it would put the rain tray flush its entire length??? Would that help?

Also the way the rain tray is designed seems to cover ALL the openings. Is that true hard to tell from pictures. That kinda defeats the purpose... You see heat escaping from the hood with out it, do you see heat waves from your?