Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Posted yesterday in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
Nothing speaks louder than seeing for yourself. Glad I put this on when my ZL is still under 2000 miles.

Just installed my can last week. This is after 100 miles of "combined" driving.

Thanks Apex!

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
This is what my LLT Intake Manifold looked like after 500 miles from the last time I cleaned it when I didn't have a catch can. I have dual catch cans because I have a supercharger, but this oil was lowering my octane rating causing knock retard.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #17
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
This is what my LLT Intake Manifold looked like after 500 miles from the last time I cleaned it when I didn't have a catch can. I have dual catch cans because I have a supercharger, but this oil was lowering my octane rating causing knock retard.

More solid evidence of why a good Catch Can is a great idea.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
so two questions:

how do you know which catch can to use/get? There are 2 types; PCV and some other kind for turbo/super chargers???

How easy would it be to pull the intake manifold? Would I have to get new seals once taking the manifold off? I've got almost 900 miles on my new '14 C5 (I might get close to 1,000 miles today possibly)

Wouldn't seafoam clean the intake manifold better than taking it off to clean it?
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
Blue Thunder

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS/RS
My Elite can goes on this weekend. 3600 miles.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Stainless Power 1-7/8 headers, HF cats
Magnaflow 3" tru-x cat back exhaust
NicKey Dyno tune
Bo White ported throttle body
Elite Engineering Catch Can
CAI air intake
GM Strut Brace Bar
JL Audio 12w3 sub, JX1000/1d amp
CFD Carbon Fiber pistol grip TapShift shifter
EGX rear window louvers
4500k HID head and fog lights

Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Don't be fooled...every 3000 miles, 2.2 oz. It works!
Attached Images

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #21
Bennett

Drives: 2013 2SSR/RS
Skid pad Smoking

A couple weeks ago I participated in a performance driving school where one of the experiences we had was the skid pad. It was a 360 pad where we made numerous rotations both clockwise and counter clockwise. I made six rotations counterclockwise, changed directions and made two clockwise rotations when my 2013 Camaro SS with L99 started to billow white smoke from both tail pipes. My car is stock except for a cold air intake and Hotchkiss max brace. Was this white smoke caused by oil pooling in the valve cover and then entering the PCV system? Needless to say I stopped the skid pad event and a few minutes later the smoke cleared. I did notice that the oil pressure seemed lower than usual when the smoke started. For perspective sake when I say my car smoked I don't mean a little puff it billowed to the point that bystanders were unable to see my car and it started all at once. Would a catch can have prevented this or is there a defect in the valve cover baffle that allowed so much oil to enter the PCV system. Someone mentioned they had heard LS3/L99 motors are notorious for oil pooling in the valve cover during repetitive high G maneuvering. Looking for suggestions, catch can, manufacturers defect or classic LS3 issue.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or "blow-by" the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. The PCV system vents these gases along with oil mist from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is, over time the excess oil vapor collects along the inside of the intake tract and forms a "gunk". This can lead to a variety of issues including carbon build up, retarded timing, detonation, and power loss.

Oil pooling inside intake manifold

Carbon build up on intake valves

Going forward this carbon build up will become more and more of an issue. As automotive manufacturers continue to adopt Direct Injection (DI) technology in their now engine designs, any benefits that previously existed due to fuel washing over the intake valves will be lost. As you can see in the diagram below, with Direct Injection fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber. The LLT and LFX V6s in the Camaro are both DI engines as is the new LT1 in the C7 Stingray and all of the new LT based GM truck engines.

A "catch can" is an aftermarket device that will condense and collect the oil vapor before it has a chance to reach the intake system. As the gases and oil vapor enter the can they typically pass through a screening mechanism that gives the oil vapor something to adhere to. As the droplets form they drop harmlessly into the bottom of the reservoir so that they can later be drained. The other gases are allowed to pass through so that they can be burned of as intended.

Fluid captured in catch can after 800 miles

When it comes to selecting a catch can you will get what you pay for. Cheap catch cans (less than $100) are plentiful but they are often little more than an empty can with two ports. These will capture a small amount of fluid but the vast majority passes straight through and ends up where you don't want it. Be sure that the can is designed with an effective internal filtration and baffling system to pull the oil vapor out of suspension. Apex Motorsports and Elite Engineering catch cans are both great options for Camaro owners. As always, if you have questions regarding this or any topic the crew at Apex Motorsports is more than happy to answer them.
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #22
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
A couple weeks ago I participated in a performance driving school where one of the experiences we had was the skid pad. It was a 360 pad where we made numerous rotations both clockwise and counter clockwise. I made six rotations counterclockwise, changed directions and made two clockwise rotations when my 2013 Camaro SS with L99 started to billow white smoke from both tail pipes. My car is stock except for a cold air intake and Hotchkiss max brace. Was this white smoke caused by oil pooling in the valve cover and then entering the PCV system? Needless to say I stopped the skid pad event and a few minutes later the smoke cleared. I did notice that the oil pressure seemed lower than usual when the smoke started. For perspective sake when I say my car smoked I don't mean a little puff it billowed to the point that bystanders were unable to see my car and it started all at once. Would a catch can have prevented this or is there a defect in the valve cover baffle that allowed so much oil to enter the PCV system. Someone mentioned they had heard LS3/L99 motors are notorious for oil pooling in the valve cover during repetitive high G maneuvering. Looking for suggestions, catch can, manufacturers defect or classic LS3 issue.?
Bright white smoke is usually coolant, if it have a blue tint it is oil. It could be any number of things but neither is a very good sign and is not something that having a catch can would have prevented. The first thing that I would be concerned about given the extended high-G conditions would be oil starvation.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
Bennett

Drives: 2013 2SSR/RS
Forgot to mention a V-6 Mustang did the same thing a few groups later. I have driven my car almost daily since the episode with no unusual performance or indications of a problem.
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #24
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
Smile

I got this catch can it was one of the best things I did to my Camaro. I drove from New York to Massachusetts then to Florida and back. I was amaze how much oil it collected. I will recommend to this to everyone if you plan on keeping your Camaro for a long time.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #25
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCAMARO14 View Post
I got this catch can it was one of the best things I did to my Camaro. I drove from New York to Massachusetts then to Florida and back. I was amaze how much oil it collected. I will recommend to this to everyone if you plan on keeping your Camaro for a long time.
The first time you check it can be a real eye opener.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #26
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
and another.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348975
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
Guano crazy SS

Drives: 2010 SS
just installed my elite can. 190 miles

Guano crazy SS is offline   Reply With Quote