Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Driving Modes explained.

We all already know that the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS offers four driving modes — Tour, Sport, Snow/Ice, and Track. But did you know what they do? In case you are hazy on that, here’s the lowdown:

Tour mode: use for normal city and highway driving to provide a smooth, soft ride

Sport mode: use where road conditions or personal preference demand a more controlled response. When in Sport Mode:
The vehicle will shift automatically but hold a lower gear longer than it would in the normal driving mode based on braking, throttle input, and vehicle lateral acceleration. The steering will change to provide more precise control. If the vehicle has Magnetic Ride Control, the suspension will change to provide better cornering performance. If the vehicle is equipped with Active Exhaust, the exhaust valves will open earlier and more often. In V8 models, Competitive Driving Mode can be accessed through this mode by pressing the stability control icon twice

Snow/Ice Mode: use this mode when more traction is needed during slippery conditions. The vehicle will:
Upshift normally when the vehicle is moving. The acceleration will adjust to help provide a smoother launch. The transmission will shift differently to assist in maintaining traction. This feature is not intended for use when the vehicle is stuck in sand, mud, ice, snow, or gravel.

Track Mode (V8/SS models only): use this mode when maximum vehicle handling is desired. When in this mode, the automatic transmission and steering will function similar to Sport Mode:
The accelerator pedal is adjusted to give maximum control during the highest level of spirited driving. The Magnetic Ride Control will be set to the optimum level for vehicle responsiveness. If the vehicle is equipped with Active Exhaust, the exhaust valves will open.

Competitive Driving Mode can be accessed through this mode by pressing the stability control icon twice
Old 10-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Boone
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Thanks for posting this. Good info for a newbie like me.

Previous:
1999 Camaro Z28
1992 Camaro RS
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
How is Competitive Driving mode explained?
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
BowtieRocket

Competitive Driving Mode

Competitive Driving Mode and Launch Control are systems designed to allow increased performance while accelerating and/or cornering. This is accomplished by regulating and optimizing the engine, brakes, and suspension performance. These modes are for use at a closed course race track and are not intended for use on public roads. They will not compensate for a driver s inexperience or lack of familiarity with the race track. Drivers who prefer to allow the system to have more control of the engine, brakes, and suspension are advised to turn the normal TCS and StabiliTrak systems on.

Competitive Driving Mode allows full engine power while the StabiliTrak system helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. In this mode, TCS is off and Launch Control is available. Adjust your driving style to account for the available engine power.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Thanks for the clarification.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
D2enigma

Drives: 2016 2SS
I keep mine is sports mode at all time. To be honest, only difference I can really feel is the steering wheel between touring, sports and track. Feel of driving in touring mode makes it feel like driving a camry. I guess that is its intention. Track mode feels like manual steering which is bit too stiff. For me, sports mode is just right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
D2enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
BowtieRocket

I keep mine in sports mode most of the time as well.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
Ashdoggy

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 8A Summit White
Would anyone explain the difference between track and sport modes. Thanks
Ashdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #9
1slowssm6

Drives: 2016 1ss m6 Camaro
why does every description of competitive mode say "allows full engine power" there is no increase in power by switching into competitive mode that im aware of? it just turns the stabilitrak down and turns off tcs,or am i missing something?
1slowssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:34 AM   #10
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
sport mode is my preference. aggressive and loud.

tour is perfect for commutes and long trips. smooth and semi-quiet

track is ideal for twisty roads. mrc feels much firmer

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #11
Camaro2ss808
2017 2ss 6MT

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss
Is there any difference with these modes between manual and auto trans?
Camaro2ss808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:03 AM   #12
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Wasnt aware of competitive mode, great info.

On a V8, if you hold the traction control button down for 8 secs, it will disable that and the stabiltrac both.

Unless you are cornering hard or driving on slick road - you wont see a big difference in the modes driving in straight lines (what most people consider tracking) For real tracking on a curved course its best to turn off all the programmed controls, as the thread suggests, and go into race mode.

I too drive in sport mode all the time, driving "feel" is why I bought an overpriced muscle car in the first place.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #13
cwatson6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - Red Hot
Thanks for the article...
cwatson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #14
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Most appreciated!. I'm on day two of ownership so this really helps.

Also to the dealer showed me how you can also select a mode but override the sound of the exhaust through the MyLink control. Say for example you like riding in Touring mode but want the sound of Track. You can change that from the menus. So cool!
Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote