Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
SnakebiteSS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
2010 Camaro SS L99 rear end groaning

Hello All,

New member here. Just bought a 2010 SS with 13k miles!

Rear end groans when turning at slow speeds. I have read as many threads as I could on the matter. Most change their fluid and it is gone.

There was not a definitive answer on what specific fluids will make the original axle seals leak.

Could anyone Please provide some info on this? Is it only the new GM axle fluid with LS additive already in it that will make the factory axle seals leak?

I have changed the fluid with 75w90 gl5 synthetic fluid and added the ~3oz of Limited slip additive.

It seemed to quiet the noise but I am worried about axle seals starting to leak because I saw where old seals are not compatable with New GM updated axle fluid with LS additive already in it.

Is it the GM fluid with LS additive already in it that will make the seals leak or will ANY fluid that already has Limited Slip additive in it make the seals leak??

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! I am a little worried as I Just bought this car a week ago :/.

Thanks guys
SnakebiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
SnakebiteSS

Bump.. is anyone using fluid with the limited slip additive already in it with the original axle seals? (Royal purple, Mobil 1, etc)

Anyone change the fluid the way I did using straight diff oil and adding LS additive separately??
Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
SnakebiteSS

Has anyone changed their rear differential fluid at all while having the factory axle seals??
Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakebiteSS View Post
Has anyone changed their rear differential fluid at all while having the factory axle seals??
I have a 2010 L99 camaro and changed my rear diff with Royal Purple and the new additive and have had no issues. Hope this helps
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I use Amsoil 75w90 Gear Oil without the additive. One quart will do you. I have the stock axle seals and never had a leak, been using this for 3 years now without a problem.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The GM fluid with the additive already in it is bad for the original axle seals. My dealer did the TSB on my car where it now has the new axle seals installed to be compatible with the new pre-mixed fluid.
They goofed initially and forgot the additive & my car groaned on turns when cold. So to make it right they did the seals and new fluid and no more issues. They could have just added the LSD additive & it would have been fine too.

OP if you use the GM fluid it must be the 2 part method unless you update the axle seals. I can't speak to other fluid manufacturers unfortunately as I don't know.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote