Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Lots of ignorance comming from both the V8 and V6 fronts in this thread. Some V6 owners believe that with some mufflers changes their car will instantly sound just like a V8.

On the other end, some V8 owners think the best sound you can get from a V6 is like a 350Z and thats that.

Not true at all.

First off, concerning these cars/engines in particular the V6 is never going to sound just like a V8. You can make it sound very V8 like down low, but once you push the RPMs up it will give itself away.

That said, there are ways to make the V6 sound pretty dang mean in its own way. Some setups just end up being loud and raspy and high pitched, but if done right it can have a very nice rumble! (hope you have headphones or decent speakers for this) For example:

Or :

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143163

Also, just youtube some cammed V6 mustangs on youtube. They can sound pretty nasty.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #30
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
Number of cylinders does not give it that "V8" sound. It is the individual size of the cylinder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
That's not quite right. The sound has more to do with firing order and degrees of rotation between firings, which is generally dependent on number of cylinders.

The sound is all about firing order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It's all about harmonics ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
A V-8 is just full of magic. The sound you hear is just your ears telling you there is magic coming your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
I've always associated that "V8 sound" withe the lope of the engine. Lope comes from the cam and depends on the grind. Re-cam a V6 and you can get pretty dang close to a V8 sound I'd think.
Wait a minute, this thread didn't set anything straight! There are 4 and a half different assertions here! Now I don't know who to believe. Gosh darn interwebs, too many engine experts in the kitchen messing up the recipe!

This thread made me laugh.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #31
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Wait a minute, this thread didn't set anything straight! There are 4 and a half different assertions here! Now I don't know who to believe. Gosh darn interwebs, too many engine experts in the kitchen messing up the recipe!

This thread made me laugh.
Magic harmony reground cams and a new firing order and you're there. What didnt you get?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #32
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Another wish I was a V-8 thread. Face it no matter what you do to a V-6 it will never do what a V-8 can with the same mods. I never heard a V-6 that sounded any thing like a V-8.
There are many factors that come into play here and bore size isn't one of them. Did you ever here a 289Hi Po? Very small motor but it still sounds great. There are V-6s that are more cubic inches than the 289 ,but guess what, they still sound like V-6s. If you want V-8 sound, the only way to get it is to buy a V-8.
This is by no means a wish I had a V8 thread. Because guess what? I have one. All I was doing was clearing up somethings after hearing what people were concerned about. But it's ok...I understand your V8 is the only way insecurities
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #33
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
So am I right or wrong? If you took an ls3 or l99 and made no changes except remove two cylinders would or would it not still sound like a v8? Obviously it would sound a bit diff but deffinently not like a v6. Like I mentioned before, this not a v8 envy thread (I have one) I was just discussing where the core sound of an engine comes from. That's all, no need to be dissing anyone everyone.
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #34
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
So am I right or wrong? If you took an ls3 or l99 and made no changes except remove two cylinders would or would it not still sound like a v8? Obviously it would sound a bit diff but deffinently not like a v6. Like I mentioned before, this not a v8 envy thread (I have one) I was just discussing where the core sound of an engine comes from. That's all, no need to be dissing anyone everyone.
I would not sound like a V8. Same as the L99 doesn't sound like a v8 with AFM engaged.

I see what you're saying about a V8 firing without a couple of cylinders when you're working on it, but in my experience an engine in that state doesn't even idle well enough to accurately compare a v6 or v8 sound.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #35
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Has anyone EVER heard a V6 sound like a V8? If so, please post the video of the sound.
I'm sorry, but it does not exist. I know many people like the V8 over anything else purely for the sound. If they could get that same sound with a 4 or 6 cylinder, they would buy it. It just does not exist. Sorry if I come off as strong or harsh, but seriously now.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #36
theoneriggs

Drives: 10 Challenger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Sounds fine at idle and then he steps on it and yeah -__- not so good
theoneriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #37
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Has anyone EVER heard a V6 sound like a V8? If so, please post the video of the sound.
I'm sorry, but it does not exist. I know many people like the V8 over anything else purely for the sound. If they could get that same sound with a 4 or 6 cylinder, they would buy it. It just does not exist. Sorry if I come off as strong or harsh, but seriously now.
I dunno man, the V6 Camaro on Hawaii 5-0 sounds like a V8 to me, lol

Seriously though, like someone else mentioned, there are some V6s that sound V8-like at low RPMs, but once you wind them up that's no longer the case.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #38
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
When people hear your Camaro and mistake it for a V8 by the sound, then it must sound "LIKE" a V8. I never said and never will say you can recreate the V8 sound, but you can get a nice tone and rumble if you do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneriggs View Post
Sounds fine at idle and then he steps on it and yeah -__- not so good
I appreciate your opinion, but I disagree. Did you listen to this with speakers that can reproduce a low bass? I think it sound friggin awsome lol.

OK OK, I may be going a bit out of reach here, but how about this cammed V6? lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QNhl4KJP5CM
Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #39
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
displacement is my vote
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #40
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Everyone raises good points - but its not enough to simply say "a v6 will never sound like a v8" - the OP is asking on interetsing question - Why?

I really dont know why. Anyone have a really good knoweldge that can tell us why? I suspect its about volume of air over time. Kind of like the difference between a tuba and trumpet. A v8 will push more air slower and a v6 will push less air faster. Maybe?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #41
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Someone just QUOTE the yellow car video and with it post up a clip of a LS3 with LTs and exhaust and end this thead.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #42
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Someone just QUOTE the yellow car video and with it post up a clip of a LS3 with LTs and exhaust and end this thead.
Of course its going to sound different; care to speculate why?