Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Monaco

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro LS3
Exclamation "The most unique Camaro electronic problem" WARNING: This is kinda long.

Hey guys, just thought I'd share what's been going on with my 2010 SS.

So, it all started somewhere around 30,000 miles. My rear left turn signal suddenly went out, prompting a "Check Rear Tail Lamp" to appear on my display, which made me :(. Also, the dome light inside the car was being...difficult, only working when it would want to. So I told my dad and we tried getting to the bulbs of the taillight; my dad lost his patience in 5 minutes and we took it to the dealer (who got to the bulbs in 5 seconds). None of the lights were bad, but our service writer changed the bulbs anyway: no difference. We left my Camaro there to get it fixed and have an oil change, come back about an hour later and he tells us that they actually changed the wiring to the left taillights with that of a 2012 Camaro o.o

So, fine. Everything is working fine. For about 2 weeks. The same "Check Rear Tail Lamp" prompt came up again I take my Camaro back in and this time I had a blown fuse located in the fuse cluster on the driver's side, along with "a bad socket", which they replaced. So that was odd, but it was replaced and I was good to go. Everything was fine again.

Now it's been a couple months and now my left turn signal stopped working again. Same deal with the dome light, too. So we take it back to the same dealership, ask them to fix it and give it an oil change because it was about that time for one. We left the car there, and then a couple hours later we get a call from the service writing saying that I have a bad Body Control Module (BCM) which will need to be special ordered, replaced, and reprogrammed. So...yeah.

We end up leaving the Camaro with them for a whole week. The BCM was installed, but they told me something was odd. Apparently, programming a BCM really shouldn't take that long at all, but it was taking almost half an hour just to do one page of programming...I have no idea how long it took them to program it, but they finished it and called for us to pick it up. I was up at my school, so my dad went and picked it up for me. They thanked my dad for his patience with everything and they were sorry it all took so long, but they were very happy with the job done. Everything worked like new in the car, but it was low on gas so my dad went to a BP station 5 minutes away from the dealer, turned the car off, filled it up, started it back up...and the turn signal stopped working again with an added twist: no headlights either. The dealer just closed, so my dad drove it home. He took a look under the hood and noticed there was a blown fuse to the BCM, so he went out and got a whole mess of fuses, put a new one in, started the car up and tried the turn signals. They didn't work and the new fuse was already blown.

My dad took the day off of work the next day, brought it back to the dealer and left it with them to figure it out. They got him a rental car for the weekend and hoped to have it done by the end of the week.

Well, long story short, I got my car back after this ordeal. My service writer kept saying how they were on and off the phone with the guys that designed the Camaro, as they were telling them "Well...have you tried this?" Yeah it didn't work. "Well...have you tried this?" Still nothing. "uuuuuhm...". But they gave me the okay to come get the car. The dealer was just closing so everyone at the service department was gone for the evening. I open up my trunk and the carpet is a mess with the fuses in the trunk exposed..so I cleaned that up a bit. Then I opened the door to get inside and those fuses were exposed, too. I found the cover in the back seat and covered them up and started the car. Everything was working just fine from what I could tell.

It's been 2 days now that I've had my car back, and my only complaint now is that the reverse lights don't work (even though they were never very useful). But after all of this, I really don't care. I'm still going to take it back to them to see if they can get it fixed, but I'm just glad I have my Camaro back.

Sorry this was so very wordy, but I wanted to try and get every detail. :x

Hope I am the only one with a "unique Camaro" like this and it doesn't happen to anyone else.

2012 Camaro SS/RS LS3 | K&N Aircharger | Corsa Catback Exhaust |
Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
damn, maybe just a defected car? hope not
welll hope it clears up and hopfully this is to cost to you

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Monaco

Thanks man. The extended warranty we got is paying for itself right now.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
Thanks man. The extended warranty we got is paying for itself right now.
nice
keep us updated

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Monaco

Will do, taking it again this Thursday.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Well I seem to have encountered the same problem this morning "Check Rear Tail Lamp" so I pull into discount auto parts this am buy a 2-pack of bulbs, open the trunk, pop off the top drivers side panel and replace both bulbs I go to fire up the car hit the left turn signal nothing I also notice I have no break lights, reverse lights, and no dome light (same issue as above). my car has 49k on the clock I guess I need to check the fuse if not it's a trip to the dealership I hope my extended warranty will cover this.

Sean
Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Monaco, I've got my fingers crossed for you. I hope you don't have any more issues with this warning or any other warnings on your Camaro. 01pewter, I hope the same for you. Let us know how things go for you with this issue as well.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Well my issue is resolved I decided to check the fuses I had a 20 amp blown, and a 5amp blown in slots 16 (5A) 33 (20A) replaced both of them and all is working.

Sean
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Short ?

Sounds like it might possibly be a short causing the problems.You would not think a dealer would fail at so many attempts to correct this.I would be looking for another dealer to trouble shoot this.Good luck to both of you.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
fast34me

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Intermittent short circuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
Sounds like it might possibly be a short causing the problems.You would not think a dealer would fail at so many attempts to correct this.I would be looking for another dealer to trouble shoot this.Good luck to both of you.
Sounds like an intermittent short circuit. Almost impossible to resolve because the conditon that causes the blown fuses, is only present for a short period of time, then a bump or turn causes the wire/short to move. The short only has to be present for milliseconds to open the fuse. Since it's more than one circuit, it sounds like a 'Ground deficiency' A loose common ground, that's used by more than one harness? The open/floating ground would cause symptoms that act like a short, that overloads the circuit blowing the fuse. Just a wild ass guess.... Good luck....
fast34me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Drives: 12' IOM, 2SS, LS3
I got a message that said, "open driver side window, then close."

lol
Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
stop smoking doobies in the car...
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast34me View Post
Sounds like an intermittent short circuit. Almost impossible to resolve because the conditon that causes the blown fuses, is only present for a short period of time, then a bump or turn causes the wire/short to move. The short only has to be present for milliseconds to open the fuse. Since it's more than one circuit, it sounds like a 'Ground deficiency' A loose common ground, that's used by more than one harness? The open/floating ground would cause symptoms that act like a short, that overloads the circuit blowing the fuse. Just a wild ass guess.... Good luck....
this

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bcm, body, control, module, problem