Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #29
Red Hot
:)

Drives: 2SS RS Red Jewel
Not if they don't get them into all our driveway's soon and get them out into the public eye. I think GM drops the ball when they introduce cars. It takes them too long to get them out there.
Who has pre-ordered a car that has it already? They started them almost a month ago. People want the car, it's just not here. If it's taking so long for the pre-orders (by people who REALLY want to have one NOW) how long is it going to take for someone who walks into a dealer that wants to order one after they are able to test drive it? Especially people that live with harsh winters aren't going to order one if it takes until the weather gets bad to get one.

GET THEM OUT THERE ALREADY!!!!!!!!
Red Hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #30
WestsideReaper
Westside Forever!

Drives: 2010 Camaro
can one car? umm...no. I love the camaro and chevy and i will take care of it mine when I get it, but really lets face it here GM would have to pump out cars that people would have money for. Out side of enthusiasts and camaro lovers (like us) not many people will have money for this car, hence why they are starting with 14,000, cause unless they can sell without the government bailing then out then I dont know if they can make it. Thats just the harsh reality of it, I hate saying it but thats just it.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #31
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
Save GM, The Camaro will not only save GM, it will save the WORLD...sorry I watched Transformers this weekend.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #32
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I agree with everything you said, but I wanted to touch on this point a bit. As some of Camaro5 knows by now, my dad is an "exec" at GM, and has been there for a while (just got his 25 years of service gift!) We were talking about bankruptcy, and the death of some brands, and he said the biggest regret he has in his career at GM is how Saturn was handled. Saturn is different than other car companies, it is unique in so many ways, and if it was marketed correctly, it could have been thriving in this economy. But for a long time it was sort of GM's "black sheep", which translated into a poor opinion of quality and value in the eyes of the public. Since the other GM brands were prospering, why put effort into selling a "budget" brand? This is where he feels they really failed the employees and customers of Saturn. He tells me stories about the passion Saturn engineers had for their vehicles, and the level of customer service the dealers had that is unmatched today. I really think Saturn was poised to be the next great American brand, but instead it has to go the way of the dodo because of a little shortsightedness.

And of course, all the brands that are dying are tragic. But in all reality, while Hummer is a great vehicle and it does what they intended it to (he reminded me ALL Hummer models are required to have the ability to scale a 16" vertical wall, which they stuck to), it is simply not what will sell in this economy.

I am assured chapter 11 will be swift, and I hope GM can shed its debt and other things weighing it down. We know they have the product linup to be extremely successful (10 years ago would you have EVER heard of a lexus driver switching to a Chevy?), they just need to instill a little confidence in the market, and nail the marketing. Can it be done? Absolutely. And finally, I think GM has the key to their own destiny.
It shocked me to hear that Saturn is losing money they way it is. I agree, Saturn, for a long time was considered the "plastic throwaway car." (The rubbermaid-like commercials didn't help). Look at their lineup now. How can you argue with it? Great SUV, Awesome roadster...pretty nice ride in the Astra...the Aura HELLO! Very nice ride.

I'm still shaking my head over it.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #33
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I agree with everything you said, but I wanted to touch on this point a bit. As some of Camaro5 knows by now, my dad is an "exec" at GM, and has been there for a while (just got his 25 years of service gift!) We were talking about bankruptcy, and the death of some brands, and he said the biggest regret he has in his career at GM is how Saturn was handled. Saturn is different than other car companies, it is unique in so many ways, and if it was marketed correctly, it could have been thriving in this economy. But for a long time it was sort of GM's "black sheep", which translated into a poor opinion of quality and value in the eyes of the public. Since the other GM brands were prospering, why put effort into selling a "budget" brand? This is where he feels they really failed the employees and customers of Saturn. He tells me stories about the passion Saturn engineers had for their vehicles, and the level of customer service the dealers had that is unmatched today. I really think Saturn was poised to be the next great American brand, but instead it has to go the way of the dodo because of a little shortsightedness.

And of course, all the brands that are dying are tragic. But in all reality, while Hummer is a great vehicle and it does what they intended it to (he reminded me ALL Hummer models are required to have the ability to scale a 16" vertical wall, which they stuck to), it is simply not what will sell in this economy.

I am assured chapter 11 will be swift, and I hope GM can shed its debt and other things weighing it down. We know they have the product linup to be extremely successful (10 years ago would you have EVER heard of a lexus driver switching to a Chevy?), they just need to instill a little confidence in the market, and nail the marketing. Can it be done? Absolutely. And finally, I think GM has the key to their own destiny.
NICE!
does your dad have a coupon for me for a camaro 2SS RS?
nice reply, though. very interesting indeed.

im confident that after the poo-storm, things willl be better than ever and we'll prove it with the product.
vm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #34
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
No not even close you would have to sell millions camaro's.

What it can do it keep some jobs and have it's production line stay open for many years. That's the goal.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #35
Red Hot
:)

Drives: 2SS RS Red Jewel
Our daughter just bought an Aura and it's an awesome car. Living in the Detroit suburbs, we see a lot of Saturns, so it's hard to believe they aren't a good fit. But I understand if you are away from here, especially in the south, there are a multitude of foreign cars on the road, which could be why a lot of people can't understand why the government should save the U.S. auto companies.
Sorry to see Saturn go. Maybe somehow someone will buy it and keep it around.
Red Hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #36
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
He is not just saying camaro sales will save GM. Because there is no way that we would be able to sell that many camaros. What he is hinting at is that maybe when people see the camaro, it's quality, and all the reviews and hype about it that it may bring customers into our dealerships looking at maybe the rest of GM's lineup... And I believe that he could be right.

The more A+ reviews that come out for our camaro the better. It will show GM going toward a new direction. (or the direction it's been going to for years it's just average people don't know shit about GM quality) After seeing the reviews in consumer reports, and magazines comparisons the public will begin to see GM making good products again. Thus flowing more people through our dealers, thus more potential for our dealers to sell cars. Thus, saving GM...
Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #37
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
No single car can save GM.

IMHO, the car that's poised to make the biggest impact would be the Cruze if they're desirable enough to get a decent margin then you'll have your gateway drug into the world of GM. I know there are some 20 year olds on this site buying Camaro SS's, but that's not realistic for most Americans. If you get them in a Cruze in there early 20's and it's nice, then they'll trade to an Impala and buy a Camaro at 40 etc. That's what happens with Honda: Civic>Accord>Acura- I see it all the time.

I also find it interesting that 37% of GM's sales were still trucks in March. Clearly there is still a market there no matter what Washington says, it just needs better balance with everything else.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #38
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yes, the Camaro can, and I believe will, have a great affect on the future of GM. The Camaro is very much a "halo" car that will bring people into dealerships and make people rethink their anti-Detroit bias. It is a response to almost every criticism people often make of the Big3. Even though the Camaro isn't for everybody, it will make people consider cars from GM when they may have just gone with a Toyota. It's not about the number of Camaros sold (although that will certainly help) it's about the image that the average American has of GM.

American cars get bad gas mileage. Camaro gets 29mpg.
American cars are all ugly. One picture of any Camaro.
American cars have bad performance/handling. Read any review of the Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
After seeing the reviews in consumer reports, and magazines comparisons the public will begin to see GM making good products again.
Sadly, I believe Consumer Reports will not like the Camaro. They love ultra-practical cars and the Camaro certainly doesn't fit that profile. Their "most fun to drive" car was the fricken Miata. Seriously... a Miata....
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #39
RobH

Drives: 2010 IBM 1LT RS M6
Chevy is finally making some good cars again. The malibu is way better than Camary or Accord, but is still selling far fewer units than either one. They have to maintain quality and stay ahead of the game in style and performance over a number of years. The camaro can help.
RobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #40
bobintuc

Drives: 2011 xm special edition
Well lets all think back to the early 80s. The K car saved Chrysler The Camaro may not save GM all by itself but it will surely be a big help along with the other changes dropping the Hummer etc. GM will survive, it will be a different look, less duplicate cars and trucks but overall a better company
bobintuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #41
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
So glad I got the response that I did.

I didn't mean sales wise or quite literally. I meant as the Catalyst of GM's comeback. Remember what the new Beatle did for Volkswagon. I meant along the same lines as that. Now look at VW and Audi and Bugati now.

Camaro will get the people back in the showrooms and back on the American side of buying.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #42
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
I think the Camaro will have an impact on the company surviving, but it can't do it alone. You have to carry the enviromental issue vehicles, but you also have to cater to the family & sports car people too.
IT COMES DOWN TO HAVING A DIVERSE LINE OF PRODUCTS, ONE CANNOT GO IT ALONE!

Long live D'GENERAL!