Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #141
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
Got mine in this weekend. You might notice from the pics that it's a bit crooked. The hose was too long so it kinks if I turn the reservoir straight so next time I change the fluid I'll lop an inch off the hose and level it out. The T bracket can be found at Home Depot next to the fasteners, the holes in the T part line up perfectly with the holes in the reservoir.
I'll let you know after a few burners if it seems to be working.
Did you go to a dot 4 fluid? and replace the fluid before and after you track event.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #142
plastrd
Indecisive

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Did you go to a dot 4 fluid? and replace the fluid before and after you track event.
Yep, got the Prestone DOT4 stuff. I didn't do a full change, just replaced the dirty stuff I sucked out during the install but that turned out to be just about a full bottle between the brake and new clutch reservoir.

I was wondering how did you drill the holes to get yours mounted directly to the wheel tub? There's no way to fit a drill in there sideways and it's double-wall sheetmetal so I'd think you'd have a hell of a time using a self-drilling screw...
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #143
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
I was wondering how did you drill the holes to get yours mounted directly to the wheel tub? There's no way to fit a drill in there sideways and it's double-wall sheetmetal so I'd think you'd have a hell of a time using a self-drilling screw...
If you go back to post #124 you'll see what I did. We used a 1/4" self-tapping screw with an air ratchet. We put a small piece of aluminum tape around it to help hold it in place.

Even then it was a PITA to get it done. We first put down some painters tape, made marks where we thought the holes should go, then used a tool (not sure what it's called) that would make a punch when you pushed on it hard. That was the starting point. We then used the 1/4" selt-tape to make the holes....backing them out when done.

Once both wholes where there we put the resevior on with the same screws. You only get one whole per screw if your lucky. It's too dull after one hole to do the other.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #144
caverman

Quote:
Got mine in this weekend. You might notice from the pics that it's a bit crooked. The hose was too long so it kinks if I turn the reservoir straight so next time I change the fluid I'll lop an inch off the hose and level it out. The T bracket can be found at Home Depot next to the fasteners, the holes in the T part line up perfectly with the holes in the reservoir.
I like the ingenuity but, no offense, personally I'm not sure I like the looks of the bracket. It makes it look like it's not mounted at all....even though I know it is. As long as you're good with it then I would leave it. Even if you went back and mounted it differently you could probably hide that hole pretty good.

I think the way the OP mounted it is the best so far. If it wasn't such a pain and for the fact that I would have two holes left behind, I would've gone back and put it in the same place as the OP.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #145
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
If you go back to post #124 you'll see what I did. We used a 1/4" self-tapping screw with an air ratchet. We put a small piece of aluminum tape around it to help hold it in place.

Even then it was a PITA to get it done. We first put down some painters tape, made marks where we thought the holes should go, then used a tool (not sure what it's called) that would make a punch when you pushed on it hard. That was the starting point. We then used the 1/4" selt-tape to make the holes....backing them out when done.

Once both wholes where there we put the resevior on with the same screws. You only get one whole per screw if your lucky. It's too dull after one hole to do the other.
+1 on the self-tapping screw With a 90% drill that i have.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #146
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The problem with that mounting location, for me, is that the Hotchkis STB attaches at that point. I'm going to need to get really creative...
Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #147
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
The problem with that mounting location, for me, is that the Hotchkis STB attaches at that point. I'm going to need to get really creative...
You got a pic?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #148
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I don't have it on my car yet, but here's a pic from Hotchkis:
Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #149
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
I don't have it on my car yet, but here's a pic from Hotchkis:
Hmmm....that could be an issue.

Looks like the bracket that was used in post #140 might work. Looks like it might fit up underneath that brace.
Build Journal
Old 09-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #150
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
slap some white paint on the bracket!
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #151
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Looks like a lot of members are trying to do this mod, Tell your parts guys that they need to stock this part.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #152
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
How can clutch dust get into the fluid?? I dont see how dust can get past the seals when the fluid which is under high pressure doesnt leak out. Maybe its just me but I talked to a couple people at my work and they dont get it either. I just dont see the need for this. The theory behind it makes no sense. I didnt see anything like this asked yet but I may have missed it. Sorry if it has been asked already.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #153
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
How can clutch dust get into the fluid?? I dont see how dust can get past the seals when the fluid which is under high pressure doesnt leak out. Maybe its just me but I talked to a couple people at my work and they dont get it either. I just dont see the need for this. The theory behind it makes no sense. I didnt see anything like this asked yet but I may have missed it. Sorry if it has been asked already.
I haven't figured that one out either, because if clutch dust could get into you fluid the you'd think there would be a leak somewhere. I'm just doing separate the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs. I don't like them be a single point of failure. Your clutch fluid should be changed regularly because of the heat and moisture.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #154
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Hey everyone, I just want to make sure I am getting this right.

Also is there any benefit to replacing the original reservoir with one that comes pre plugged? (like the ones that come in automatic?)

Thanks, you guys rock .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote