#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
ZL1 1LE owners, looking for real world feedback

Greetings, all.

I am a current owner of a V2 sedan (A6) and looking to offload this winter in favor of a little more power and newer tech. I test drove a '17 nightfall gray ZL1 M6 last year and while I liked it, it lacked PDR and I wasn't sold on the color.

My question is how many ZL1 1LE owners here actually drive their cars on the street, regularly? My concern is the ride quality. Is it too harsh on the street like all of the non-1LE driving, motor trend reading, Facebook naysayers?

I've seen several on the street, but none local enough to test drive for myself and form my own opinion.

I'm on the fence between a C7Z and ZL1, and ZL1 1LE. I've been watching the market on these cars for about a year, and I'm feeling torn between the sports car vibe (denim shorts, driving gloves and all) and pony car status. I miss my 5th gen and was a 3rd and 4th gen guy, so naturally the Camaro is appealing. The 1LE looks great IMO, versus the more vanilla looking ZL1.

Thanks, all opinions welcome!
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Ok, what is a "V2 sedan"? I'm guessing a 2nd gen CTS-V?

When you drove the ZL1, were you bored at how smooth the ride was? If yes, then the ZL1 1LE is for you. If no, you can always add the 1LE aero bits to a ZL1.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
harner

V2 Sedan is a CTS-V, 09-15 specifically.

I like the way you think. The ZL1 was honestly a little boring to me, but I didn't sling it through corners or anything crazy. Just some WOT pulls in a few different gears. The overall tech is a huge selling point and I did love the interior. It felt much more refined over my 5th gen.

Hyper Blue is my current requirement! Nice choice.
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
mws517
Red Hot A8

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, black
I drive my ZL1 1LE on the streets, usually on the weekends. It's bone stock. I love this car. The ride is firm and I do feel the little bumps in the road but I would not call it harsh , but I find it comfortable to ride in. I am very happy I purchased this car.
mws517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
Nrfd79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by harner View Post
Greetings, all.

I am a current owner of a V2 sedan (A6) and looking to offload this winter in favor of a little more power and newer tech. I test drove a '17 nightfall gray ZL1 M6 last year and while I liked it, it lacked PDR and I wasn't sold on the color.

My question is how many ZL1 1LE owners here actually drive their cars on the street, regularly? My concern is the ride quality. Is it too harsh on the street like all of the non-1LE driving, motor trend reading, Facebook naysayers?

I've seen several on the street, but none local enough to test drive for myself and form my own opinion.

I'm on the fence between a C7Z and ZL1, and ZL1 1LE. I've been watching the market on these cars for about a year, and I'm feeling torn between the sports car vibe (denim shorts, driving gloves and all) and pony car status. I miss my 5th gen and was a 3rd and 4th gen guy, so naturally the Camaro is appealing. The 1LE looks great IMO, versus the more vanilla looking ZL1.

I drive mine on the street all the time. I honestly don't think it rides any stiffer than my truck. I went from a 14 1Le to the 18 ZL1-1LE. I have no regrets. If you get on a really bad section of road you will definitely want a lid on your coffee or it will all be on your lap. Trust me !! The only draw back well not really is that this car will make you think you are a better driver than you are. Hopefully you never wreck but if you do its not going to be at slow speeds if you lose it you're going to lose it big. It's an amazing car. I would buy another one in a second. And with a tiny bit of engine mods not to many things on the road are ever going to pass you unless you let them. Not Hellcats or little pony cars... Fyi...Lol
Nrfd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I have 450 miles on my zl1 1le so far all street mileage. I live in Nh and frost heaves in the spring do a number on our roads. I have yet to wish I bought the standard zl1. I was out this Sunday with my wife and even she commented that its no worse then my 2015 Z06. I normally drive my z06 in sport mode and I have 4000 miles on that. Neither bother me as far as ride goes but I daily drive a 2017 gmc 2500 hd diesel all terrain crew cab standard box 4x4 truck and actually would prefer to drive the zl1 1le daily based on ride comfort alone but I won't drive it in rain or snow so the truck it is for daily use. So far I find the zl1 1le slightly more compliant in the corners than my z06 z07 pkg car on the street. I plan to take them both to the track and do a comparison.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Greetings, all.

I traded in a V2 sedan with 540rwhp for a 17 ZL1 and I am super happy with it. Huge improvement and highly recommend the 10 speed.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
As others have said Firm but not Harsh. No issues on the street for me.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
I went from a 17 ZL1 to a 18 ZL1-1LE so I can speak to your questions. There is a considerable difference in the two vehicles with respect to the ride. The regular ZL1 with MRC is very smooth, particularly in Tour mode. The ZL1LE is a much harsher ride and feels completely different. You cannot adjust the ride as you can with the ZL1. That being said, I knew what I was getting into. I do not daily drive the car. I drive some evenings and weekends and I take the car to the track. This car excels on the track. It really just depends on your personal needs. If I didn't track the car and used it as a daily I might not feel the same. However, I do have several friends who daily their ZL1LE and they love it. So, to each his own. Good luck.

Last edited by Sooner Cole; 06-19-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Sooner Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Ride harshness and daily driver questions for the 1LE are almost daily topics on the forum. I can't see buying a $70k car without test driving it. There is at least one member who got rid of his and went back to the ZL1 without the 1LE package. If you watch some of the youtube reviews, you can see the drivers bouncing around and usually making comments about the stiff ride. Any car with bushings eliminated isn't going to ride great. I'd have to find a way to test drive one or find a member on here who has one to take you for a ride.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
harner

Finally, some real feedback. Thank you everyone! Just like my current V and my other toys before it, it's a part time daily about 8 months a year. I have other toys and an 06 Silverado for daily duty.

I totally wouldn't buy a car without testing it for myself, but haven't had the opportunity to do so yet. Based on these comments, I'm very eager to hop in one even more, now.

Thanks for all the input. I'm interested to hear more negative feedback from real members, not just Youtubers. I've seen many, many Youtube videos and looking for owner feedback.

And noted about coffee lids. Haha
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #12
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
My wife and I drove the 15 Z/28 and now the 18 ZL1 1LE as daily drivers. It’s no issue. You will be fine.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
V2 Sedan is a CTS-V, 09-15 specifically.

I like the way you think. The ZL1 was honestly a little boring to me, but I didn't sling it through corners or anything crazy. Just some WOT pulls in a few different gears. The overall tech is a huge selling point and I did love the interior. It felt much more refined over my 5th gen.

Hyper Blue is my current requirement! Nice choice.
You may want to act pretty soon if Hyper Blue is a requirement.

If you look at the 2019 changes, Hyper Blue is a discontinued color.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Ok, what is a "V2 sedan"? I'm guessing a 2nd gen CTS-V?

When you drove the ZL1, were you bored at how smooth the ride was? If yes, then the ZL1 1LE is for you. If no, you can always add the 1LE aero bits to a ZL1.
Bored non 1LE hahahah. I was so bored how bad the ride quality was to it was slow on the freeway compared to my A10 that I traded it in. Had a 17 A10 before the 18 ZL1 1LE. Fuel econmany simply sucks and never saw better than 14MPG. A10 is best of 27.