Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
What's the bigger sin: the Stang log rear axle, or the Maro porkiness?

As a person with an engineering educational background, I appreciate good technology, so I don't appreciate the log rear axle of the Mustang despite the propaganda spouted (read: excuses) for it. I can't in good conscience drive a car that has a "feature" that no other sports car has.

On the other hand, the Camaro is a porky car. Every picture I see of the 3 main muscle cars shows the Camaro as the widest of the three. This thing is massive! And the weight of course is no better. In fact, I think the Mustang size and weight is "perfect".

The perfect car will be a Camaro with trimmed down dimensions to be around the same size as the Mustang, slightly higher roof and slightly lower body height to improve visibility (which I don't think will reduce its good looks), and improved handling. Ideally the Camaro will weigh no more than the Mustang. That is the absolutely perfect car. I will be completely and 100% satisfied in every regard.

Okay, so given that at the very least, I will not see this perfection until 2014 when the Camaro will apparently move to the Alpha platform, what is your opinion on the two sins described above? We have to compromise, and therefore choose what we can live with.

Obviously you prefer the Camaro porkiness given you own or aspire to own a Camaro, but if we were to discuss these two negatives independently, what is your opinion?

A distant alternative to the Camaro for me would be the 2011 Shelby GT500. However, the log rear axle is a big deterrent for me as well as the fact that Mustangs are as common as jeans. Maybe a discussion into the two sins will persuade me for the log axle, or for the porkiness.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Porkiness Good one...
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
You seem to have not seen a 2010 Camaro next to a Challenger. Now there is an eye opener.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
EDISKRAD EHT

Drives: Blown Goat
A Camaro the size of a Mustang would be "perfect".
EDISKRAD EHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
no it wouldnt, it would tke away form the car. poportion wise, the Camaro is PERFECT, its the damn weight that kills it.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
GT500s are far from as common as Jeans(compared to Camaros)...but in case you didn't know they are porkier than a 2010 Camaro SS....3900+#.......

Oh and the size of the Camaro is perfect IMO...a couple hundred pounds lighter would be nice...but hey you can't have EVERYTHING..

BTW stick axles save weight,a lot of weight..on the 2003/2004 Cobras IIRC a stick axle swap saved over 100#...just from looking at the set ups I bet it would be even more in a 2010 Camaro,especially if you could get rid of that crossmember...not that I would dream of doing that to mine...
Put the independent rear in the Mustangs and 6 speed....and the weights wouldn't be much different,if any.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Have you driven one?

because I'll tell you it feels nothing like a pork.

Sure it may benefit from being a bit smaller. But it's still not near the size of the challenger.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
sik68

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2002 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
I can't in good conscience drive a car that has a "feature" that no other sports car has.
I don't think Ford is marketing the solid rear axle as a feature, any more than Chevrolet is marketing 3860lbs as a feature.

A solid rear axle can, and has been made to perform very well. On a smooth track with a reasonably flat-handling car, there probably isn't too much advantage with IRS. On a bumpy circuit or the street...the solid axle, ahem, just makes the drive more exciting .
sik68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Quote:
You seem to have not seen a 2010 Camaro next to a Challenger. Now there is an eye opener.

The Camaro's width gives it it's aggressive sexy look that the Mustang just DOES NOT HAVE. A few hundred pounds lighter would be great though.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I'll take the porkiness...just give me decent gears!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
HIGHOCTANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
I don't think Ford is marketing the solid rear axle as a feature, any more than Chevrolet is marketing 3860lbs as a feature.

A solid rear axle can, and has been made to perform very well. On a smooth track with a reasonably flat-handling car, there probably isn't too much advantage with IRS. On a bumpy circuit or the street...the solid axle, ahem, just makes the drive more exciting .

Bottom line IMO..is the solid axle is cheaper to make,alot lighter and the slightly better handling of the independant rear isn't really something that Mustang buyers "have to have". Heck a good bit of the independant rears in the Terminators were swapped out for the more durable solid.

Previous rides:
Old 03-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
As a person with an engineering educational background, I appreciate good technology, so I don't appreciate the log rear axle of the Mustang despite the propaganda spouted (read: excuses) for it. I can't in good conscience drive a car that has a "feature" that no other sports car has.

On the other hand, the Camaro is a porky car. Every picture I see of the 3 main muscle cars shows the Camaro as the widest of the three. This thing is massive! And the weight of course is no better. In fact, I think the Mustang size and weight is "perfect".

The perfect car will be a Camaro with trimmed down dimensions to be around the same size as the Mustang, slightly higher roof and slightly lower body height to improve visibility (which I don't think will reduce its good looks), and improved handling. Ideally the Camaro will weigh no more than the Mustang. That is the absolutely perfect car. I will be completely and 100% satisfied in every regard.

Okay, so given that at the very least, I will not see this perfection until 2014 when the Camaro will apparently move to the Alpha platform, what is your opinion on the two sins described above? We have to compromise, and therefore choose what we can live with.

Obviously you prefer the Camaro porkiness given you own or aspire to own a Camaro, but if we were to discuss these two negatives independently, what is your opinion?

A distant alternative to the Camaro for me would be the 2011 Shelby GT500. However, the log rear axle is a big deterrent for me as well as the fact that Mustangs are as common as jeans. Maybe a discussion into the two sins will persuade me for the log axle, or for the porkiness.
You should stick to engineering
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
HIGHOCTANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
I'll take the porkiness...just give me decent gears!

What you don't like being able to hit 50 in 1st? lol...
I would definitely like a lower 1st...changing the diff gears seems like it would only be a partial solution?...maybe one that works though..something I need to research...track times with gear changes..

Previous rides:
Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Have you driven one?

because I'll tell you it feels nothing like a pork.

Sure it may benefit from being a bit smaller. But it's still not near the size of the challenger.
Even my V6 that i had (see signature) didn't feel heavy or sluggish in the slightest. Felt very spry going through twisties too.