Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #1
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
Exhaust Questions/Opinions

I was going to put an axle back on my LT/RS. Looked at tons of video, read a thousand posts, and made some calls. I had narrowed it down to either a MRT V2 or Dynomax. From all I found out, apparently, there is no real advantage to an aftermarket axle back other than sound. All the manufacturers claim increased performance, but the people I spoke to said that's not the case. Has anyone put one on and gotten better performance out of it?

As much as I'd like to do this, I've been told it would be better to save the $500+ that an axle back would cost and put it towards a cat back with high flow cats. I don't really want it excessively loud, but would like a little better performance.

It has a Roto-Fab CAI and the exhaust is the only other thing I wanted to do, but at this point I'm not really sure which way to go.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
This was the video that made up my mind. An after market exhaust is not going to give you any noticeable HP or Torque gains. You might gain 5-10hp but you wont truly notice it.

arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
You will drop a little weight but you will not gain any power from a cat back or axle back. High flow cats will add sound and power.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
I found a great deal on a Dynomax Ultra-Flo axle back system for $269 brand new. Having it installed by my guy at Chevy next week. I listened to the sound clips and it seems good -- not too loud and will look nice in place of the suitcase mufflers. I figured for that price it's not much of a gamble.

It seems odd to me but the guy I work with at my Chevy dealer loves doing this kind of stuff. You wouldn't think a Chevy dealer would install aftermarket stuff, but these guys do. They also installed a Roto-Fab CAI and did a great job. I could do it myself, but for what they charge it's worth having them do it in case something should go wrong.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote