Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
ss/rs/378

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro Victory Red
Blown up LSA

Unfortunately 2 weeks ago while I was out putting some miles on my new Monster Triple Disc clutch I was driving my car easy just shifting from 2nd to 3rd and the motor let lose so without going into details about how it blew what I was wanting to know is for the guys out there that have had the unfortunate luck that I have had what did you do to replace the motor did you go back with a forged aluminum LSA or did you go with the LSX blocks and why, My thoughts so far is the LSX 416 or 418 iron block, Oh and who would you recommend getting the block from and why, I am leaning towards Texas Speed?
2.55 UPPER PULLEY,100MM IDLER PULLEY,160 STAT,PORTED TB,PORTED SNOUT,MSD PLUG WIRES,NKG PLUGS,KENNE BELL EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP,2"KOOKS HEADERS,HIGH FLOW CATS,3"CORSA 60LB DEKA INJECTORS TUNED BY FROST 580RWHP,571RWTQ.

Last edited by ss/rs/378; 04-18-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Delete
ss/rs/378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Just curious because I haven't read much of this happening in the past 7 years on the forum, how many miles?
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Just curious because I haven't read much of this happening in the past 7 years on the forum, how many miles?
Crickets...like his last post.

I don't care how long he's been a member or how many posts he has...the title leads one yearning for more info.

This is not a common, or even semi regular issue, and he hasn't the courtesy to respond.

Geez. Just get the LSX and TH400...and then blow that up and post another misleading title. YOU blew it up...it didn't blow itself up.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Guessing over-rev. Don't hear of much going wrong on LSA's except too much power and some rings going bad, but that isn't holes in the block.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
You live in Fort Wayne? Why not Lingenfelter? I have had great luck with them with boat motors anyway.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I pulled my LS3 with 651 miles on the clock 7 years ago and put in a LSA/LSX 376 iron block. If I blow that up, I still have the stock motor on a stand in my garage.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:24 AM   #7
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I read it as " I don't want to talk about my dumb mistake. I just want to some input before I pay for my dumb mistake." He hasn't hurt anyone here. He didn't claim the motor failed on it's own.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutale arancia View Post
I read it as " I don't want to talk about my dumb mistake. I just want to some input before I pay for my dumb mistake." He hasn't hurt anyone here. He didn't claim the motor failed on it's own.
That's fine and well. He desired an answer without any further input. I was a little harsh: for that I apologize.

He also refused to reply to my questions in his previous post:

Well hell I just blew my motor 2 weeks ago can you hook me up and I am willing to even pay but dam if you could hook a brother up that would be great!!!

It just seems like trolling to me to post an engine question in a sc warranty thread, ask for a free engine (well, he'll "even pay"), and then not respond to any questions. How much hp? Blown? Meth? Nitrous? Budget?

If the op wants answers to his original post, I'll let you guys figure it out. Oddly, nobody has jumped in with suggestions yet...probably because no budget or other parameters are set.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #9
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We just had someone come in with a blown and build LSA (buy a local competitor of ours). The car had forged internals too. Just remember nothing is bullet proof and when you're pushing 700rwhp even a built motor can let go from the smallest issue. In this case we noticed two of the new plug tips were broke off. So he probably had detonation in a couple cylinders. May have been from a week fuel pump or a bad injector. We'll be stripping it down soon for a rebuild. To the OP if the block is fine you should be able to rebuild it. Depends how much carnage you ran into. TSP builds a nice set up. We have a local builder we work with on projects like this.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
That's fine and well. He desired an answer without any further input. I was a little harsh: for that I apologize.

He also refused to reply to my questions in his previous post:

Well hell I just blew my motor 2 weeks ago can you hook me up and I am willing to even pay but dam if you could hook a brother up that would be great!!!

It just seems like trolling to me to post an engine question in a sc warranty thread, ask for a free engine (well, he'll "even pay"), and then not respond to any questions. How much hp? Blown? Meth? Nitrous? Budget?

If the op wants answers to his original post, I'll let you guys figure it out. Oddly, nobody has jumped in with suggestions yet...probably because no budget or other parameters are set.
Point taken.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #11
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Just remember nothing is bullet proof and when you're pushing 700rwhp even a built motor can let go from the smallest issue.
What if you're a special Petunia of the fractal snowflake kind like me and have a stock engine? Has anyone had any fatal issues with a completely unmodified LSA engine?
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #12
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
A motor just won't let go cruising around; the damage was done long before that. The issues you mention aren't LSA specific, but rather LS specific. The LSA has proven to be a stout motor that can take a lot, but like anything it has it's limits especially when constantly pushed to the edge.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:07 AM   #13
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
When someone chooses to modify ANY engine and problems arise...one shouldn't be surprised. You have to pay to play.

I can't put it in any simpler terms. Best of luck. Sorry.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #14
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs/378 View Post
Look I never said I was surprised that it blew up I said it did just driving it around putting miles on the new clutch I have had modified cars my whole life I know shit can happen mechanically you don't have to be at the drag strip beating the hell out of the car for something to go wrong, I also knew and stated that I was aware something could go wrong and should have addressed the short block before adding as much hp as I did that wasn't the reason for my post it was to get opinions from other owners on what motor they went with after there issues and to find out if they where happy with there decision not to debate why and how it blew up it happened and it sucks!
Sorry. I wasn't trying to kick sand in your vag.

Get opinions from the guys on here and do a lot of research before making your decision. Before purchasing parts for my cars, I always do an extensive round of recon and read dozens of reviews. There's nothing worse than shelling out a few thousand $$$ on a sub-par mod.

Again, best of luck.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote