Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Drivers seat broken....Dealer wants $250 to have GM warranty it.

so I was driving a few weeks ago and I felt the left side of my seat, "pop" about the same spot where the airbag is on the left side of my back.

When I got out of the car and felt the seat, I could feel a metal bar...probably the frame of the actual seat....It feels like the actual airbag on the seat has slid off or over.

The car at the time was 5k miles outside of factory bumper to bumper warranty. It is now 8k miles over. I have owned since 2000...a total of 4 brand new Chevrolet Vehicles and, until now, have never had a problem with GM taking care of something that is slightly outside its coverage parameters. In fact I had a 06 Z/71 that chunked the insides of its rear end about 10k miles out side of its power-train warranty and it was covered with little more than me asking about it.

I would attach a picture, but it would do it no justice, you can only feel it with your hands and back once you sit in it.

So I took it into the dealer to see of I could get them to warranty it, along with scheduling the ignition recall, oil change, and tire balancing. The service manager immediately looked at me like I was crazy and told me that it was clearly outside of 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty and doubted that anything could be done about it.

Its not my first time dealing with a dealer, and I know that some can do what others cant, and that its more a matter of dealing with the right person at the right time.....as compared to a clear cut policy of do's and dont's ...I politely asked him to see what he could do and to call me back.

After a half a dozen left voice mails left and no returned calls. I emailed him. His response to me was, to get my seat fixed I would have to pay a 250 dollar deductible.

So I am wondering from any of the GM reps that are all over C5 if there is a better option for me? Or is this the best I can do? I have never EVER paid a deductible for any warranty work ...even when outside of warranty

In my mind I really don't see the problem with getting the seat fixed/replaced and having it 100% covered under its warranty. I honestly would not worry about it that much if I wasnt concerned that the seat side airbag is not damaged or no longer functional.

I am I expecting to much from Chevy or GM? If not can any of the GM reps here on C5 help me? Or anybody else for that matter.

Thanks and sorry for the long posting.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Go to another dealer , I had the same exact problem happen. My car is at 37k miles and it was fixed with no questions asked.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
1KillerSS

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to know if I was fighting an uphill battle before I started to work up the ladder.

I dont want to run all over town looking for a better option, only to find out that I should have just taken the 250+tax and let it be.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 08-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Hold on a sec....I believe you already answered yourself with the "depends on luck" statement.

8K past warranty (22% over the warranty miles) is a helluva lot different than 1K (2% over warranty miles) past warranty. I've seen where someone was just "barely out of warranty" get good-willed from GM (i.e., fixed under warranty- no charge).

What this sounds like is GM is going to meet you part-way, half-way, some-way in on a partial good-will attempt. And in some instances, I've seen GM warrant problem-children parts on certain vehicles (like your 10K over warranty Z71) past their warranty due to them knowing it was crap parts to begin with . But remember that was several years ago. This is a "new" GM.

Can you fix it yourself for $250?

Personally, I think it's a good option and have them fix it for you. I think you're hoping that lightning strikes twice. If you own a Camaro, then you're sure to piss away $250 in gas or other non-essential item for it. If you trust your dealer, then to me it would be a no-brainer.

I could be off with these assumptions, and wish you good luck, but for $250 and have them do it (plus if something messes up they're on the hook to repair it...), it seems like I'd be driving around with my seat fixed by now. In 6 months you won't even miss that $250.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If you ever have to pay for warranty work, you need to report that to GM.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Hold on a sec....I believe you already answered yourself with the "depends on luck" statement.

8K past warranty (22% over the warranty miles) is a helluva lot different than 1K (2% over warranty miles) past warranty. I've seen where someone was just "barely out of warranty" get good-willed from GM (i.e., fixed under warranty- no charge).

What this sounds like is GM is going to meet you part-way, half-way, some-way in on a partial good-will attempt. And in some instances, I've seen GM warrant problem-children parts on certain vehicles (like your 10K over warranty Z71) past their warranty due to them knowing it was crap parts to begin with . But remember that was several years ago. This is a "new" GM.

Can you fix it yourself for $250?

Personally, I think it's a good option and have them fix it for you. I think you're hoping that lightning strikes twice. If you own a Camaro, then you're sure to piss away $250 in gas or other non-essential item for it. If you trust your dealer, then to me it would be a no-brainer.

I could be off with these assumptions, and wish you good luck, but for $250 and have them do it (plus if something messes up they're on the hook to repair it...), it seems like I'd be driving around with my seat fixed by now. In 6 months you won't even miss that $250.

its not about the $250...im not sitting here behind my computer telling my self " gee wizz Im not gunna pay $250"

I am a little shocked that that I had to pay for anything.

In my mind its either "yes we can fix it under warranty" or " no sorry its not covered"

So I took the car to another dealer, and to my pleasant surprise, he scoffed at the other dealers "deductible" and ordered what was needed to fix the seat and told me that the "percentage of time" out of warranty was not an issue.

Thanks for the feedback. I saved myself $250 dollars that I can spend on gas!!

Build thread
Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Well good for you! It never hurts to ask.

Cost-sharing isn't new. It's not in warranty any more. That's a fact. Any costs picked up, whether partial or fully, is still "good-will", and not technically under warranty. It's a crap-shoot after the 3/36.

So- what was the part needed? Something we need to look out for?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
1KillerSS

Here is a picture of the seat, I've edited the photo to show you the area that im talking about. It feels like the cushion itself....unless its attached to the airbag.

They ordered an entire seat back.

Not sure if they will just use what they need or replace the whole back.
Attached Images

Build thread
Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
If you ever have to pay for warranty work, you need to report that to GM.

Agree!

The reported: "His response to me was, to get my seat fixed I would have to pay a 250 dollar deductible" sounds very much like "bribe me and I'll do it" to me. It's either warranty or it ain't.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Agree!

The reported: "His response to me was, to get my seat fixed I would have to pay a 250 dollar deductible" sounds very much like "bribe me and I'll do it" to me. It's either warranty or it ain't.
GM's warranty for that repair is over at 3/36. When GM offers to cover it after the 3/36 and requests a "deductible" it just like an extended service contract with a deductible, its just a goodwill gesture. GM does this all the time. Its not a "bribe me" offer.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Agree!

It is not uncommon for a dealer to "goodwill" only a portion of the repair. It isn't warranty; it's goodwill. No similarities whatsoever.

When I was a Ford dealership service manager, it was common practice to have Ford, the dealer, and the customer participate in the repair cost, if outside of the warranty period. $250 for a seatback replacement is damn cheap. It's ridiculous to think that a manufacturer should be responsible for a repair that's needed outside of the warranty period. Eventually you have to take responsibility for your car.

OP got a great deal, if you ask me.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
GM's warranty for that repair is over at 3/36. When GM offers to cover it after the 3/36 and requests a "deductible" it just like an extended service contract with a deductible, its just a goodwill gesture. GM does this all the time. Its not a "bribe me" offer.

Funny to me that one dealer said " pay a deductible" and the other said " no problem we can take care of that for you"

If it walks line a duck and quacks like a duck then......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build thread
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
It is not uncommon for a dealer to "goodwill" only a portion of the repair. It isn't warranty; it's goodwill. No similarities whatsoever.

When I was a Ford dealership service manager, it was common practice to have Ford, the dealer, and the customer participate in the repair cost, if outside of the warranty period. $250 for a seatback replacement is damn cheap. It's ridiculous to think that a manufacturer should be responsible for a repair that's needed outside of the warranty period. Eventually you have to take responsibility for your car.

OP got a great deal, if you ask me.

Why is it then dealers say that they can get it covered under warranty.... Why do t they just tell us the truth ...."were going to pay for it"

And Call it a dealer perk

Build thread
Old 08-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Why is it then dealers say that they can get it covered under warranty.... Why do t they just tell us the truth ...."were going to pay for it"

And Call it a dealer perk

I don't know. We always told the customer straight up that it was a goodwill repair, and that the charges would be split 3 ways. Why? It put their trust in us, and the automaker. Everybody had skin in the game, and built customer loyalty.

There are plenty of dealers that absolutely go about it the wrong way, no doubt about it.