Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah I am planning on hanging on to my SS for 15 years and then passing it on to Zac when he is 25.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #16
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcbeth View Post
GM is doing what it needs to do to survive. I applaud them. In my view, the more "green" vehicles sold, the more gasoline for us, who represent a very, very small part of the market.
Yeah, that's the way I see it too. At least that's what I hope happens. I am tired of following big hunking SUV's that the owners drive slower than a school bus and that get terrible mileage. Those people don't need or care about horsepower. Save horsepower for those of us who will USE it!
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
SVT disbanded years ago. Look at what FORD has without SVT. This is probably more just to look good for Uncle Sam.
Actually, SVT is still alive and well at Ford, just not as a separate division.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
Looks like the Camaro, along with the Corvette and the other Chevy brands will survive per the GM plan submitted to the government. Hummer, Saturn, Saab and maybe even Pontiac are toast. But if you think there will be a mega-horsepower Z-28 any time soon you are dreaming! This is a matter of GM surviving, man! If the General thought the Camaro (or any other car) was a money loser, it would get the axe in a New York second!

Everybody I talk to (NOT people on this forum) that has seen a picture of this car thinks GM has hit a home run on this one. May not put the Mustang out of business, but I think this inexpensive car will help the General recover!

Saturn has a chance!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13869

Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #19
R1Ecko

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Saturn may survive but it's not looking good. And I agree with saving the SS's while we can. It's like spending money to save those pandas or other endangered species I feel bad knowing that in maybe just a few years, laws may be passed that make it impossible for my future kids to own a 426hp V8. But I bet we'll see some sort of grandfather clause act, where we get to keep ours and hand them down and all the SUV's with 24's, that are driven by soccer moms, and are constantly curb jumping are axed, which WILL mean more gas for us. Sorry to bash on SUV's, but most people do NOT need them and especially do not need huge rims that suck more gas. Limit V8's to performance cars and work vehicles please!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Contact your elected officials and tell them what you want. It's that easy. If they don't do what you say, I can still guarantee they considered it. It is their job to represent the electorate.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #21
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
I know it's rather selfish of me, in fact really selfish, but if the SS was canceled the day after they built mine, I don't think I'd be heartbroken at the sudden exclusivity of my car.
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #22
Red Hot
:)

Drives: 2SS RS Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSforme View Post
I know it's rather selfish of me, in fact really selfish, but if the SS was canceled the day after they built mine, I don't think I'd be heartbroken at the sudden exclusivity of my car.
Be careful what you wish for. They may stop building them right after mine, and yours is the next one
Red Hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #23
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
SVT disbanded years ago. Look at what FORD has without SVT. This is probably more just to look good for Uncle Sam.
So I guess the SVT badging on the GT500s have nothing to do with SVT then...
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #24
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK07GTSTANG View Post
So I guess the SVT badging on the GT500s have nothing to do with SVT then...
Well SVT did have something to do with the Gt500 .. (Not as much as with the 03/04 cobras though) ... I think he was trying to say that FORD has been doing just fine without the SVT name .... Chevy will do the same ..

Crowley
Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
pondo

Drives: '23 SS 1LE
I bought 2,000 shares of GM @ $2.00 a share ~10mins ago. Let's go GM! I'm buying one of your cars in support and I now own some of your company! Cut the pigs that don't sell. Hang up the divisions that aren't profitable. Fire the people that don't want to work. Give the unions the middle finger if they can't compromise. When you hit the bottom it's easy to see the top!

'23 SS 1LE Rapid Blue
18’ SS 1LE Hyper Blue - sold
pondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
mefox3

Drives: porsche cayman s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
Not toast! Put on hold. When and if the economy turns around, every thing changes!
That might not necessarily be the case. GM could decide to indefinetly put the programs on hold.
mefox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #27
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
Corvette Racing is leaving GT1 for more competition in GT2. Is this going to effect the GT2 program?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #28
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Well SVT did have something to do with the Gt500 .. (Not as much as with the 03/04 cobras though) ... I think he was trying to say that FORD has been doing just fine without the SVT name .... Chevy will do the same ..

Crowley
What are you talking about? SVT designed and engineered the vehicle that became the Shelby GT500. Had the timing not been right and Ford/Shelby not reunited, the car still would have been produced, just not at a GT500 or bearing Shelby's name on it.

Of course, you could always point to the SVT F150 Raptor as the most recent proof that SVT is alive and well at Ford.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote