Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Fat Boy

Drives: 12 CVO Street Glide
ZL1 Limited Production ???!!!

I just got off the phone with my dealer. My wife and I would like to get in line as it were to order a ZL1. He informed me he has contacted the Regional GM rep. and the rep. has informed him the ZL1 was going to be limited to 1500 units the first year and since my dealer is not a "large" volume dealer they would not be getting an allocation the first year.
Before I get flamed here or told my dealer is an idiot, please know the dealer was very good to my wife and I when we ordered our 2010 SS/RS April of 09. Very honest and straightforward, albeit sometimes not as knowledgeable as we were thanks to the forum.
I am seriously hoping someone has misinformed him.
Can anyone shed some light as to whether this is a limited production car?
From what I have read here or the opinion I have formed based on the information provided in the forum, the ZL1 will be a build to order vehicle.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about
Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I personally haven't heard any mention of it being a limited production model and would be surprised if it is.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
He might be mixing it up with the new Pace Car Vert..
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
GM has said already that they wouldn't put a limit on how many are made. They will produce as many as ordered. If your dealership is a low volume seller their allocations might be smaller than others, so maybe hit up a larger dealership.

Another thing to look for, check out one of the site dealership sponsors. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
GM has said already that they wouldn't put a limit on how many are made. They will produce as many as ordered. If your dealership is a low volume seller their allocations might be smaller than others, so maybe hit up a larger dealership.

Another thing to look for, check out one of the site dealership sponsors. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.
Unless something has changed and hasn't been announced. I'll believe it when GM officially posts it.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Karen SS
Mrs SS

Drives: 2SS/RS Black IO Int IO stripe
Please not the whole allocation thing again.........if it is a made to order car, and a cash sale, then I say build it.

Order Accepted by GM 6/25
Delivered to the customer 8/14
Karen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Just echoing what others have said, I don't believe that it would be a limited run on the ZL-1 at all.
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
mondain

Drives: toyota
Well for the record, these are the only official statements made by the Camaro team regarding limited run:

"Similar to what we have done in the past, we will provide dealers with an estimated production guide number before we start to accept orders for the ZL1" -- John Fitz

"There will be no limitation on production volume due to emissions" -- Al Oppenheiser

"we will build many more than 69 ZL1s..." -- John Fitz

"will do everything to match the market demand.." -- John Fitz

None of those comments indicate the ZL1 *WONT* be a limited run production. Only that production wont be limited "due to emissions", will have a higher production run than the 1969 ZL1 (69 were made), and that they will do everything to match demand. All of those could be potentially interpreted as "we're only gonna make 5,000 of em the first year and see how they sell."

So, really, we have nothing to go on.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
I would infer that the statement "we will do everything to match the market demand" means that Chevrolet will attempt to build as many ZL1s as there are willing buyers, unlike with Ford and the GT500. Ford announced in July 2010 that GT500 production for 2011 would be limited to 5,500 "to maintain exclusivity."
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
1981DFA

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
It just would make any finicial sense to limit the production of this car. They have invested to much money into it and need to recover that cost. If you ORDER one i honestly think you will get it.
1981DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Fat Boy

Drives: 12 CVO Street Glide
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
Well for the record, these are the only official statements made by the Camaro team regarding limited run:

"Similar to what we have done in the past, we will provide dealers with an estimated production guide number before we start to accept orders for the ZL1" -- John Fitz

"There will be no limitation on production volume due to emissions" -- Al Oppenheiser

"we will build many more than 69 ZL1s..." -- John Fitz

"will do everything to match the market demand.." -- John Fitz

None of those comments indicate the ZL1 *WONT* be a limited run production. Only that production wont be limited "due to emissions", will have a higher production run than the 1969 ZL1 (69 were made), and that they will do everything to match demand. All of those could be potentially interpreted as "we're only gonna make 5,000 of em the first year and see how they sell."

So, really, we have nothing to go on.

Since I don't know how to do multiple quotes: I agree with Goldenbear at this point, we can only infer "they will do everything to match market demand" in regards to John Fitz's statement. My dealer admits and even apologizes they are a small dealer and can't compete with the volume of larger dealers but will do everything he can do fulfill our want for a ZL1. He is limited to the information provided to him by his regional rep. and admits he is usually the last to know anything. At this point I'd almost rather be on a back-log build list than the current allocation process they have now. Someone else in an earlier post suggested going to one of the other dealers in the forum. I would hate to have to do that but if my dealer can't provide I'll have to. With that said, don't you think these larger dealers will have a much longer list to cater too? So sad to see a great dealer with outstanding sales and personal after sales service be penalized for selling in a small population market. Most of my statements are based on past practice of GM when we ordered before and had to wait for an allocation, and I am assuming that same mindset is inplace. Hopefully the new GM will be different.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
Someone else in an earlier post suggested going to one of the other dealers in the forum. I would hate to have to do that but if my dealer can't provide I'll have to. With that said, don't you think these larger dealers will have a much longer list to cater too? So sad to see a great dealer with outstanding sales and personal after sales service be penalized for selling in a small population market.
If your local dealer doesn't have a ZL1 allocation for you, you can order a ZL1 from one of the large dealers in the forum, and have the vehicle shipped directly from Chevrolet to your local dealer. It's called a courtesy delivery. The receiving dealer preps and cleans the vehicle and usually handles the paperwork to license and title the vehicle. They charge a fee, usually $300-$400, so they get some money out of the deal.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
If your local dealer doesn't have a ZL1 allocation for you, you can order a ZL1 from one of the large dealers in the forum, and have the vehicle shipped directly from Chevrolet to your local dealer. It's called a courtesy delivery. The receiving dealer preps and cleans the vehicle and usually handles the paperwork to license and title the vehicle. They charge a fee, usually $300-$400, so they get some money out of the deal.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote