Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Having your cake....(08 Silverado Hybrid)

...and hauling it too....then towing it around on a trailer and still getting through the snow and the mud to make it to work on time.....

Personally, I think this kicks ass! GM is rocking right now and I hope it continues for years to come.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrol...d-ar47290.html

Way to go GM.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Hot Damn!!! YES!! This is what I'm talking about! 30mpg in a truck?!?! Go tell that to people and watch then stare

best part is, that the only truck that the Hybrid Silverado has to beat in numbers, is itself!

if GM can offer this up with minimal price hikes, like the current Malibu, then they've got a 100% winner, and trophy-truck for years to come!
GREAT JOB, GM!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Wow...talk about stealing all the competition!!!! And...that's a great looking truck too! This is going to be awesome!!

EDIT: This was the only reason I wouldn't go back to owning a truck. Gas mileage was piss poor and the tanks were what...30-40 gallon depending on the truck? On top of that, I wasn't hauling enough stuff around to make use. I needed something to fit my needs..........getting my slow butt to work on time everyday! ZOOOOM!~
Attached Images

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
good stuff!
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...711140315/1014

Chevy aims for Earth-friendly image
November 14, 2007

BY MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

LOS ANGELES -- General Motors will kick off an ambitious campaign to give its Chevrolet brand environmental credentials rivaling hybrid-master Toyota in a news conference at the Los Angeles Auto Show today.

It will be a tough sell, based on the reaction of leading environmental activists.

Dan Becker, environmental consultant and longtime director of the Sierra Club's global warming project, laughed at the idea.

"GM's an environmental pariah," he said. "They have zero credibility as an environmental leader."

Mark LaNeve, GM vice president for sales, service and marketing, knows the automaker has a bad reputation on the environment. The new marketing campaign is the first step in a long-term attempt to change that image.

GM will stress fuel efficiency, alternative fuels, hybrids on vehicles sold now as well as the Volt extended-range electric vehicle expected to go on sale in 2010 and a fleet of 100 zero-emission hydrogen fuel-cell Chevrolet Equinox SUVs consumers are to test in 2008, LaNeve said.

"We are going to offer solutions for our company, the consumer, America and the environment," LaNeve said, admitting that it will take a breakthrough vehicle like the Volt to change Chevrolet's image.

Toyota dominates the hybrid market with its popular Prius.

GM realizes it's tackling a long-term project, but the challenge may be even tougher than the company knows.

"Most of" the campaign's "claims are bunk," Becker said, dismissing Chevrolet's growing fleet of cars the EPA rates at or above 30 m.p.g. on the highway and alternative fuel-capable vehicles.

"They don't have any credibility on these issues," he said, noting that the E85 ethanol-gasoline blend key to GM's claims is virtually unavailable in California. The first commercial station to carry E85 in the state just opened in San Diego.

The campaign that begins today will tout Chevrolet with the slogan "Gas-friendly to gas-free."

"It's critical to our brand that providing fuel solutions be part of our image," Chevrolet general manager Ed Peper said. "This is certainly not business as usual. Chevrolet really is changing at its foundation of how we power America."

It will take more than a nifty slogan to change GM's image with environmental groups, said Jim Kliesch, senior engineer in the Union of Concerned Scientists' clean vehicles program.

"Evaluating an automaker's environmental performance based on an ad campaign is like judging how well somebody sings based on what kind of shoes they wear," he said.

Kliesch gives GM credit for the hybrid full-size trucks it has begun selling, including a Chevrolet Silverado pickup that is to be shown at the LA auto show today, and for development work on the Volt and fuel cells.

However, the automaker's lobbying efforts against high fuel-economy standards undermine that, he said.

"It's important to support policies to reduce carbon dioxide and raise fuel efficiency," Kliesch said. "GM and other automakers are lobbying against these standards. That does not gibe with the message they're trying to send."

Despite that skepticism, Chevrolet will become a leading environmental brand, LaNeve said. "We want to be seen as the solution, not part of the problem," he said.

Contact MARK PHELAN at phelan@freepress.com or 313-222-6731
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This is one of the best uses of hybrid technology. A truck can handle the added bulk, plus it needs the extra low end torque that electric motors provide.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
These eco wackos are something else, and it is so sad that society is taking them seriously. The planet's climate has been warming and cooling since the beginning of time (hence why we are not in an ice age currently) yet somehow the climate change in the past few years is positively our fault. Uh, yeah, sure. I bet those Sierra Club guys don't even realize what kind of environmental damage the production of their beloved Prius batteries does. And I bet not one of them minds that Al Gore is flying all around burning tons of jet fuel, nor do they mind that his house is four times larger than the national average, yet its energy consumption is twelve times the national average. No, these guys definitely got the short end of the intelligence gene allotment, and the fact that nature hasn't killed them off yet shows that Darwin's survival of the fittest is seriously asleep at the wheel. Why can't these guys go hug a bear?
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Each side has an agenda and picks facts that support their ideas in order to strengthen their claim. Its quite sad to see it happen really. If the extremists would just shut up people may be able to figure out what is really going on
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
These eco wackos are something else, and it is so sad that society is taking them seriously. The planet's climate has been warming and cooling since the beginning of time (hence why we are not in an ice age currently) yet somehow the climate change in the past few years is positively our fault. Uh, yeah, sure. I bet those Sierra Club guys don't even realize what kind of environmental damage the production of their beloved Prius batteries does. And I bet not one of them minds that Al Gore is flying all around burning tons of jet fuel, nor do they mind that his house is four times larger than the national average, yet its energy consumption is twelve times the national average. No, these guys definitely got the short end of the intelligence gene allotment, and the fact that nature hasn't killed them off yet shows that Darwin's survival of the fittest is seriously asleep at the wheel. Why can't these guys go hug a bear?
that is about the best reaction to environmentalists yet thanks for giving me some enjoyment in class.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote