Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Fireball

Drives: Turbocharged
Political Sub-Forum

Please create a sub-forum for political discussion. Having a GM forum without being able to use the word Democrat or Republican is like having a grass forum without being able to use the word green. Today more than ever politics is intermingled with General Motors cars.

If people are worried about heated discussions, disagreements, etc., then make a warning for everyone who enters the political sub-forum to the effect: This political forum is unmoderated; enter at your own risk. If you have something to say, be sure you can back it up or else you might be eaten alive!
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
It's been tried here before...and now it's gone.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Forget it. Ended in disaster last time.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
+1
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
Please create a sub-forum for political discussion. Having a GM forum without being able to use the word Democrat or Republican is like having a grass forum without being able to use the word green. Today more than ever politics is intermingled with General Motors cars.

If people are worried about heated discussions, disagreements, etc., then make a warning for everyone who enters the political sub-forum to the effect: This political forum is unmoderated; enter at your own risk. If you have something to say, be sure you can back it up or else you might be eaten alive!
It isn't about being moderated or not- it is about peoples voice being bigger than others- calling names, never breaking down and admitting you were wrong, and throwing derogatory comments around when they are face to face with a differing opinion.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I think it is something this forum gravely lacks..Especially now that GM is owned by the Government.. Censoring political talk is only helping squelch any talk that goes against what the current administration is doing.. With the liberal bias in the media, the internet is the only place people will be able to hear opposing views. What better place than a forum based on a GM vehicle like this one for people to hear dissenting views.. My opinion of course.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I think it is something this forum gravely lacks..Especially now that GM is owned by the Government.. Censoring political talk is only helping squelch any talk that goes against what the current administration is doing.. With the liberal bias in the media, the internet is the only place people will be able to hear opposing views. What better place than a forum based on a GM vehicle like this one for people to hear dissenting views.. My opinion of course.
You mean this isn't a mustang forum? lol
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
It is a lose-lose for the forum. It is tough having to avoid all political discussions but at the same time the one that used to exist was a constant headache...politics bring out the worst in everyone, no doubt.

I still think we should have a bashing forum that was restriced access for members-only and was less strictly moderated. In there you could get whatever you wanted off your chest...if you didn't want to be involved avoid the entire forum.

But that's just me, and this isn't an aggressive forum, they like they laid back atmosphere.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Example of why this already a bad idea -

My "angry" response: I thought this was supposed to be support of a political forum, not a paranoia forum....

My "correct" response: You are right, people should be able to speak, but unfortunately there was a reason the mod's took down the political section.

The difference between which I type would be the mood I was in for the day and if anyone was pushing me earlier in the thread- it can only spell disaster as I know other people decide what to write depending on how the rest of their day was as well.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Example of why this already a bad idea -

My "desired" response: I thought this was supposed to be support of a political forum, not a paranoia forum....

My "correct" response: You are right, people should be able to speak, but unfortunately there was a reason the mod's took down the political section.

The difference between which I type would be the mood I was in for the day and if anyone was pushing me earlier in the thread- it can only spell disaster as I know other people decide what to write depending on how the rest of their day was as well.
good point, but i do believe that's why the idea of having a disclaimer was mentioned
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
good point, but i do believe that's why the idea of having a disclaimer was mentioned
There are no disclaimers for bringing moods into other forums. Which was my point.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I supported having a political forum back in the fall. The staff had a lengthy discussion both before it was created and after it was removed. We (the staff) figured we (as a site) could handle it, our members were mature and had many respectful discussions on political related topics. Oops.

It was removed because a lack respect quickly developed and there was too much spill over into the other areas of the site. The debates turned into arguments. It was a mess and a massive failure. We are welcome to having a political forum IF our members can prove that they an intelligent and reasonable discussion of the issues at hand. But as long as there are too many members that can't tell the difference between a Democrat and a Communist or a Republican and a Fascist it isn't going to happen.

This is a private forum, owned by Tran. He has ultimate say as to whats allowable here and what isn't. The moderation team is here enforce the rules here and keep the discussion from heading to disaster.

That said, there isn't a complete ban on political discussion. But we are very strict on what is allowed. Essentially, discus the topic and not the political nature of the topic.
Difficult to say the least, but its the only viable option that we saw.

Here's an example to show the difference between what we want and what we don't want.

The government is creating a new, higher CAFE standard - perfectly fine.

Those damm democrat tree huggers want to take away our V8's - nope.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I supported having a political forum back in the fall. The staff had a lengthy discussion both before it was created and after it was removed. We (the staff) figured we (as a site) could handle it, our members were mature and had many respectful discussions on political related topics. Oops.

It was removed because a lack respect quickly developed and there was too much spill over into the other areas of the site. The debates turned into arguments. It was a mess and a massive failure. We are welcome to having a political forum IF our members can prove that they an intelligent and reasonable discussion of the issues at hand. But as long as there are too many members that can't tell the difference between a Democrat and a Communist or a Republican and a Fascist it isn't going to happen.

This is a private forum, owned by Tran. He has ultimate say as to whats allowable here and what isn't. The moderation team is here enforce the rules here and keep the discussion from heading to disaster.

That said, there isn't a complete ban on political discussion. But we are very strict on what is allowed. Essentially, discus the topic and not the political nature of the topic.
Difficult to say the least, but its the only viable option that we saw.

Here's an example to show the difference between what we want and what we don't want.

The government is creating a new, higher CAFE standard - perfectly fine.

Those damm democrat tree huggers want to take away our V8's - nope.

Unfortunately, we're not inclined to go down that road again. The many "panic du'jours" as Fbodfather would put it, and various doomsday threads illustrate to us that the site membership as a whole is not ready for a section like that, again.

It was and still is a great idea in theory. But it just doesn't work.

Sorry.

As DGthe3 said, though -- there is no outright ban on mentioning political items like CAFE, or other issues surrounding GM...just don't get into the politics of the subject. It is very possible to do; if you have a question on 'how', give us an example and we'll be happy to demonstrate.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
It's been tried here before...and now it's gone.
Yes, it died a fast but still painful death...