Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #15
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
In reality, how many people are like you and me where we're willing to take all the wheels off to clean the wheel wells, suspension, remove the calipers and brackets to clean them, etc., etc. My point was and still is that while there is no fool proof way to determine how a car has been driven, most people won't go through the necessary steps to detail a car to this extent to hide all evidence. Like I said in my earlier post, not fool proof, but you can get an idea. The OP asked a question and I gave my honest opinion.
P.s. I have found it is easier to remove the wheel wells to get them their absolute cleanest. It makes it easier to clean out around and behind them too. Dust gets back there.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 AM   #16
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
What does this have to do with value?
85% driven at night
Exposure to UV light, of course. It makes a difference...
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:29 AM   #17
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Thanks for the comments. I can see some of your points.
A common comment, though seems to be that if a car was modded for more performance it MUST be driven harder than a stock car.
I beg to differ.
Case and point, a (26yr old) kid at work has a basically stock Mustang GT, other than lowering it. He fires the car up in the morning after work, and lights up the tires and races off. He also talks about street racing and side-stepping the clutch a lot, drifting corners etc.
But it's a stock car so it should maintain a better resale value than mine?
I'm going to market my car to like-minded inividuals as myself and I see no reason not to get at least high KBB.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #18
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Thanks for the comments. I can see some of your points.
A common comment, though seems to be that if a car was modded for more performance it MUST be driven harder than a stock car.
I beg to differ.
Case and point, a (26yr old) kid at work has a basically stock Mustang GT, other than lowering it. He fires the car up in the morning after work, and lights up the tires and races off. He also talks about street racing and side-stepping the clutch a lot, drifting corners etc.
I'm going to market my car to like-minded inividuals as myself and I see no reason not to get at least high KBB.
Well, it's a Mustang. I'd check for human tissue in the front bumper.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
If you really want to sell it just be prepared to sell it a bit under the book value. You may get lucky and find someone that wants a car modded that way and then you are good, if not well you lower the price. I have kept everything on my car to return it to stock if I ever want to sell it.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #20
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Well, typically people who abuse a car like that also neglect the maintenance and overall appearance of their car, so the value would be severely under what a well kept, clean modded car would go for.

That said, a well maintained, clean, stock performance car 9 times out of 10 will have not only an equal or slightly better resale value, but will almost always sell faster.

It's not necessarily the mods that detract buyers; it's how those mods were possibly installed that scare people away and take away from the value of the car. I'm not taking my chances on a cammed car that for all I know was installed by someone who didn't know the first thing about what they were doing. I'd gladly pay equal or slightly more for a completely stock car than risk being out a motor when a rocker fails, spring breaks, valve drops, etc due to an installation error.

Case in point: I've more money into my GTO than I care to add up. I know for a fact that if I ever try to sell it that I can only ever ask what a stock GTO in like condition sells for at that moment in time. I sold another GTO a few years back that was in near perfect condition, 21k miles, with only headers on the car. I had 2 potential buyers back away simply due to the headers and I wasn't asking a penny more than a stock one was going for. I had to find someone who really wanted headers before I could get it sold. It's just the way it is selling a modded car.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #21
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Mods devalue cars. Sometimes you can find a buyer who wants the mods and is willing to pay, but that's the exception, not the norm.

If I'm buying a car used, I want it as close to factory as possible. Even the most basic of bolt-ons throws up a huge red flag. I don't care how clean the car is. If you modded it, you abused it.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #22
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Well, first and foremost, modifications are something you do for you, to enhance your driving experience. It should be considered more as a "cost of entertainment". It is certainly not to be considered an "investment".

The best situation is the buyer that knows their stuff and understands the quality of the parts and the build. A true enthusiast is the buyer you're looking for. This is the person that sees the car as what they would build and looks at this purchase as way to save a little money over building the car themselves from scratch. You might get closer to that KBB price. The absolute best you could hope for would be KBB personal sale price + what the modification parts would cost used, which is what those parts are. (I love it when people list the new retail price of their modifications on their sale ads...that has no value what so ever)

Also note that a true enthusiast is probably going to understand that a car like this is more likely to have been meticulously maintained, it's what true enthusiasts do. I would much rather buy a quality modded car from a mature enthusiast than a bone stock car from an immature "street racer" (please note that "mature" and "immature" has nothing to do with chronological age)

Trade in is a waste of time for the most part. Dealerships are not really interested in '15 that they cannot warranty. Their customers typically will not buy it. The only exception might be that rare dealership that sponsors enthusiast clubs and has a fairly loyal list of Camaro and Corvette customers that may have some interest in this car for reasons listed above.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
I take my car to the drag strip at least 25 times each year. I dare you to find evidence. My OCD kicks in and I wash the outside, the inside, the engine compartment, the suspension components and the wheel wells. The only clue that the car was driven hard is the equipment on the car.
Here is the evidence you requested.

"I take my car to the drag strip at least 25 times each year. I dare you to find evidence"
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #24
Btphound

Drives: 2011 SS
HI, I have two cents. Not much more. How about a 2002 Z06. With over
60k of mods. 20k miles and sold for KBB $30k.
Btphound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #25
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Mods devalue cars. Sometimes you can find a buyer who wants the mods and is willing to pay, but that's the exception, not the norm.

If I'm buying a car used, I want it as close to factory as possible. Even the most basic of bolt-ons throws up a huge red flag. I don't care how clean the car is. If you modded it, you abused it.
All mods are not engine/performance mods. You are not making a difference
between them and some appearance changes. My '10 SS has several mods
that have nothing to do with performance. My Camaro has never gotten near
the red line or even done one burn out. I bet my Camaro would be an easy sell
especially after 13 oil changes in 8 years and not one blemish.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #26
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
All mods are not engine/performance mods. You are not making a difference
between them and some appearance changes. My '10 SS has several mods
that have nothing to do with performance. My Camaro has never gotten near
the red line or even done one burn out. I bet my Camaro would be an easy sell
especially after 13 oil changes in 8 years and not one blemish.
You drive an automatic and you have never held it to the floor one time?

What a douche.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #27
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
You drive an automatic and you have never held it to the floor one time?

What a douche.
I didn't say that Fred. Talk about being a douche-
Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #28
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I have never had a mod devalue a car I sold. The last time I traded a car in they asked Me is I was going to leave the sound system in. I said I was going to put the stock one back in and they offered Me more money to leave it as is.
I have never had any mod devalue a car or truck.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote