Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
just wondering... would a cop stand 1000ft away and determine this? just curious...lol.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #16
SSCamaroKid

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black On Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
just wondering... would a cop stand 1000ft away and determine this? just curious...lol.
great question!!
SSCamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
8eight8

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM/IOM 6m
ok I just got back from measuring and I 'm at 999 feet exactly so I'm good.
8eight8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
A better question is if you took it to court would a judge bother coming back and standing outside while you measure it after night falls which is the only way you would be able to prove to a court that you was legal, no.

And most people can estimate a quarter mile. 300 feet won't make a difference if the tail lights are legal.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
Quote:
And yes i am an officer, 15 years on the job.And i have given my fair share of warnings being a car enthusiast myself.BUT ! i have nailed people who deserved it, guess its all an attitude thing.politeness,respect, being cordial will go a long way folks.
^^^This is common sense, people should treat other people like people...get it? You get what you give.

Word to the wise though, if you google "(Enter State here) State Statutes", they usually come up...but don't forget, you also have city ordinances to deal with as well.

Quote:
A better question is if you took it to court would a judge bother coming back and standing outside while you measure it after night falls which is the only way you would be able to prove to a court that you was legal, no.
Good luck with that argument. Apparently you havent been to court too many times (ever?) to lay down the law like that to a judge.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #20
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Good luck with that argument. Apparently you havent been to court too many times (ever?) to lay down the law like that to a judge.
Which is why I said "no" at the end. As in no it's not happening.

And p.s. I probably been in a court room more then most people have seeing as that's were my dad works.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
Ex-stang

Drives: "Sergeant" a 1LT/SIM/RS/CONN/BA/M6
Well the laws are different here.The law states you are not allowed to install any lighting wich is not oem for lighting...meaning you got your camaro without hids...your out of luck cant install aftermarket..and installing anything wich diminishes oem light clarity or effectivenes..BAM..nailed...(tint,covers etc)
Laws are different everywhere...soo look up your local laws or even better, call up your local police station an officer there will gladly inform you of the legislation in your state/province/country......
Some might say (hey hids are better i can see farther), i agree ! but the law is written in that way. :(

good luck and stay safe !
Ex-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Another thing to consider. if you plan on traveling much, you better watch the local laws for where you are traveling through or to. you can get nailed other places even if your car is legal where you live...
Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #23
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-stang View Post
read the remark, i said "would you have been here " hypothetically didnt accuse anyone of anything.
Sorry!
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #24
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
stupid laws
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #25
thedonkeyslayer

Drives: XK 4x4 Ordered '11 2SS/RS SW LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Another thing to consider. if you plan on traveling much, you better watch the local laws for where you are traveling through or to. you can get nailed other places even if your car is legal where you live...
I'm not sure how this would work...if you car is registered & you live in a state in which your vehicle is 100% legal, how could another state give you a ticket just because you were visiting/passing through??

All of the diff state laws are dumb. You can buy a bottle of Jack Daniels in a gas station in AZ, but in PA you have to go to a state owned liquor store.

Oh yeah, you can also buy/sell cars on Sunday in AZ, but not here in the NE. Blue laws are the stupidest thing EVER. They make no sense in this day & age. <end rant>
thedonkeyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #26
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonkeyslayer View Post
I'm not sure how this would work...if you car is registered & you live in a state in which your vehicle is 100% legal, how could another state give you a ticket just because you were visiting/passing through??

All of the diff state laws are dumb. You can buy a bottle of Jack Daniels in a gas station in AZ, but in PA you have to go to a state owned liquor store.

Oh yeah, you can also buy/sell cars on Sunday in AZ, but not here in the NE. Blue laws are the stupidest thing EVER. They make no sense in this day & age. <end rant>
I don't think you can. My car is registered in Michigan but I live in Texas a large portion of the year (student). In Michigan we have no front plates. In TX they require them. Never had a single issue with that. I think it's whatever state you have plates for. If a cop gave tickets to passing through motorists, that doesnt exactly set a good trend for returned tourism or visits now does it?
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #27
buddylok

Drives: -
I have the same blackout tail lights (static cling, right?)

When I drive, I always turn my lights on to avoid pull over.
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #28
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I don't think you can. My car is registered in Michigan but I live in Texas a large portion of the year (student). In Michigan we have no front plates. In TX they require them. Never had a single issue with that. I think it's whatever state you have plates for. If a cop gave tickets to passing through motorists, that doesnt exactly set a good trend for returned tourism or visits now does it?
Plates are not a safety issue, tint and blacked out lights can be and are usually what they will get you on.. thinking you don't have to obey local laws can and will get you in trouble.. Evevn a noise ordinance if you have loud exhaust.. they will get you no matter where you are from.. I was with a guy that got pulleed over for that in another state, and while they had him over they did a complete safety inspection.. good thing he didn't have any tint or other stuff done...

Tags
blackout, legal, tail light, vinyl